Sage, waiting for the promised secret recipe ...

HeatherInFlorida

Obviously, I am not Sage but you have waited patiently so if you do not mind, I shall post the recipe.

(Recipe can be halved/quartered)

Chocolate Volcano Cake (Pinnacle Grill)

3 lbs. butter

2 lbs chocolate bittersweet

1 lb 4 oz sugar

10 whole eggs

10 whole egg yolks

10 whole egg whites

vanilla

salt

13 oz flour

5 oz cocoa powder

5 tsp baking powder

3 oz Grand Marnier

orange zest

Melt together 2 lbs butter and the bittersweet chocolate and set aside.

Mix until fluffy, 1 lbs butter and l lb sugar.

Add the whole eggs and the egg yolks one by one mixing about 30 seconds between each addition.

Add the melted butter and chocolate (it needs to be just lukewarm).

Add the grand Marnier and orange zest.

Sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.

Add to the mixture and mix for 3 minutes at high speed.

Make a meringue with the egg whites and the 4 oz sugar.

Fold into the chocolate mixutre.

Fill the Pinnacle dish with 6 oz of the mixture (glass or ramekin)

Bake at 375 degrees between 15-20 minutes. (If baking in a convection oven, bake about 12 minutes. Cake will be done on the edges but still very soft in the center).

(one portion of volcano cake is 6 oz of batter)

Grand Marnier Whipped Cream (makes 4 cups which is about 8 srvgs)

2 cups heavy cream

1/4 cup sugar

1 tsp orange zest, very finely grated

1 Tble Grand Marnier

Whip the cream and sugar until starting to form soft peaks. Add zest and liqueur and whip cream to soft peaks.

To Serve: Place ramekin on service plate. Place Grand Marnier Cream in sauce boat and sprinkler candied zest. Place boat on service plate and garnish with chocolate cigarette (twig) if you have some.

Thank you, Sail!!! I'm having a Dessert Extravaganza New Year's Eve Party and I wanted to wow my guests:D . But now I'm thinking it may not be the best thing since I have to prepare it last minute. I'll give it some thought, but I'll be making it soon! Somehow I doubt it will be as good as sitting in the Pinnacle on the high seas;) ... loses a bit of the ambience.

I posted a great beach for you on you thread about Crane. You might have missed it ... here's the link to the thread: Cruise Critic Message Boards - HAL Cruisers....Been to Crane Beach, Barbados

I wouldn't recommend serving that for your Extravaganza as, like you say, it needs to be cooked last minute and served immediately. The batter can be made that afternoon, but the cooking has to be when ready to serve.

What a great idea for New Years. Sounds fabulous. Would you tell us a few of the things you are making?

I haven't gotten it all planned out yet because I'm so focused on Christmas. I'm planning Key Lime Pie, fudge, cheesecake, a special chocolate specialty dessert I often make, cookies, some nice dessert type cheeses ... hopefully some chocolate covered strawberries if I can get some nice ones.

Then I have to go through all my dessert recipes and decide what else. I decided to just do dessert, coffee and champagne because it's easier on me for one thing, but also I can have it at 9:00 (and manage to stay up past midnight;) ) without having a meal at 10:00 at night.

I'll not be baking all this myself ... my friends are going to help out. Couldn't be easier and frees up everyone to just have a great time. We're ony going to be about 12-16 people ... just really close friends.

Sail, thank you. I guess that I have been too slow in getting to the computer. They did recommend Dutch cocoa, and the batter can be refrigerated overnight if wrapped loosely. The cooking time also varies depending if you want it well done, or that lucious running chocolate. Enjoy.

Sage....

If I had known you would 'be back here today', I surely would have waited. I thought you may be busy with other things and Heather did sound sooo eager.

Thanks for the added tips. I did not know the batter could be mixed the day before. That is good to know.

Sage, I didn't mean to push! I was just sooooo excited. I absolutely loved the Volcano Cake and when you said you had the recipe, well................ so many thanks for the extra tips. Can't wait to try it.

Sail, again thank you. And I hope a wonderful holiday and a very happy new year. We know it will start out right for you on the high seas!!!

I'll be wishing you a happy trip before you go.

Heather,

The Pinnacle staff spoiled me rotten. All I had to do was call them, and they would send a chocolate volcano to me. I had champange and the volcano cake on the veranda one afternoon. It almost felt illegal. :D :D

The grand marnier cream is definitely 8 (generous) servings but I am unsure about the 'cake'. I have had the recipe about two years and have not made it. I checked the printed sheet I was given and it does not say. I believe the cake is more than 8 servings. That's quite alot of eggs, butter etc I think it is closer to 12 servings but honesty, I simply to not know.

Seeing as Sage did not comment her recipe was any different than mine, hopefully she will read this and check her copy. MAYBE they indicated on hers the number of servings.

(I must admit I am very jealous of her ordering a Volcano and eating it on her balcony.)

Heather,

The Pinnacle staff spoiled me rotten. All I had to do was call them, and they would send a chocolate volcano to me. I had champange and the volcano cake on the veranda one afternoon. It almost felt illegal. :D :D

Sage!!! I missed this!! Then I saw Sail's post and looked back. That is positively SINFUL!!!! What? No strawberries to dip into the warm syrupy middle of the cake? ;)

I was told that it would make 7 portions. But of course, I will let each one determine their own portion size.:rolleyes: I didn't need the strawberries, as they just provided extra chocolate sticks for me.:D :D

I was told that it would make 7 portions. But of course, I will let each one determine their own portion size. I didn't need the strawberries, as they just provided extra chocolate sticks for me.

AWK:eek: !!! Chocolate sticks, too!!! It's getting worse!!!!:D

7 portions!!!??? With 3# butter? and 20 eggs? ... and 2# chocolate???? Awk:eek: again!!!

....and obviously not nearly enough Grand Marnier:D

Sail

Thank you very much for posting that recipe, I have heard so much about the Famous Volcano cake, and I will definately have to try this. :)

Heather,

We are not sure what we are doing New Years Eve either, we have a few places we have been invited to, but i am sure none of them are in sunny Florida, and I knopw none of them will serve Volacno cake, so if you have 2 extra places *LOL*

Actually I woulfd love to try and make that for Christmas , but we are having a pretty big crowd and Sail mentioned it is something you have to make right then and serve immediately so that could get kind of crazy.

Fiancee and I are actually having both our families at our house for Christmas dinner. Please pray for us. Fiancee thinks it will be funnier than the clips we have seen for that movie "Meet The Fokkers" with Barbra Striesand.

I think it will be like watching The Sopranos and the Royal family playing Family Feud *LOL*

Vicar, absolutely! You're invited. In fact here is the invite that went out except that it was in script which didn't transfer here. So everyone who views this thread is invited and will be with us in spirit this New Year's Eve!:)

You are Cordially Invited

To the home of

Heather & Raymond *******

on Friday, December 31, 2004

at 9:00 in the evening

for Desserts, Coffee, Champagne

Join with friends who have added the joy along the way

Celebrate the past year

and greet 2005 with Laughter, Love and Hope..

R.S.V.P.

Archived