Can't afford excursions, any suggestions?????

floatinrocks

We're doing the 7 day roundtrip from Vancouver August 23rd and MUST put a new roof on our house right away. :mad:

Putting a huge burden on the budget~~!!!! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Walking tours are great...get a hold of some maps ahead of time and do some research as to what there is to see/do in the ports you will be stopping at.

There are also some towns that have a city bus that you can ride all day with an inexpensive all day pass, that way you can get off/on at your will.

I strongly dislike doing organized tours. I know my way around Alaska rather well and do enjoy walking. I plan my walks ahead of time (often months ahead) and get off the ship and do so. This is entirely possible in many of the small ports of Alaska. I've done this sort of thing all my adult life.

Yes, it is possible not to spend heaps of money and to have a fine time in Alaska.

That said, when there is public transport and I need to go where it goes, I do use it.

Walk on! Many benefits including working off some of that fine cruise ship food.

We're doing the 7 day roundtrip from Vancouver August 23rd and MUST put a new roof on our house right away. :mad:

Putting a huge burden on the budget~~!!!! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks

In Ketchikan take a ride on the funicular ($2) up to Cape Fox Lodge and walk back down the "Married Men's Trail".

In Juneau take the MGT bus ($14 roundtrip) to Mendenhall Glacier.

In Skagway take the Historical Walking Tour (free) from the National Park visitor center.

'

We walked the trail up to Mt Roberts and it was lovely, about 1 1/4 hours. The tram is $27 if you take it from the bottom up roundtrip. If you spend $5.00 up on the top after your walk up, say for a snack or in the gift shop the tram ride down is free. Otherwise it is $5.00 down. This was a wonderful walk though you should know it is steep in parts and you need closed toed shoes.

In Ketchikan, the Totem Heritage Center is $5/person. You can bundle it with admission to the Deer Street Fish Hatchery and the Raptor Center for $13/person for entry to all 3. Visiting Creek Street is free, and you may see salmon spawning. In Skagway the National Parks Service provides maps of easy, moderate and difficult hiking trails.

Sorry about your roof :(

I don't know how many are in your group, but we're renting a car in Juneau for the 4 of us for the day. It's between $60-$70 but that's sure cheaper than paying for an excursion that lasts 3 hours and costs as much as the rental car per person!

check out Ketchikan Discovery Center.

AARP had a good article "10 Minutes to the Real Alaska" searchfor it on line if our host choses to block this link.

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/travel/the_real_alaska.html

Cheers

Nice article and other ideas mentioned on this thread .

Jotted some notes and directions .

Keep up the Good Work and Thanks .

Gosh, I love Cruise Critic people!!! I posted, went to bed last night, got up this morning and WOW!! Thank you sooooo much, my spirits are lifting already knowing it can be done cheaply!!!

We are in our late 50s so not sure walking up to Mt. Roberts is doable for us. But we can certainly walk and see, Thanks

Gosh, I love Cruise Critic people!!! I posted, went to bed last night, got up this morning and WOW!! Thank you sooooo much, my spirits are lifting already knowing it can be done cheaply!!!

We are in our late 50s so not sure walking up to Mt. Roberts is doable for us. But we can certainly walk and see, Thanks

If you are going to Sitka, you can walk around on your own there

as well:) I am doing that in September and from what I have

read on here many people do it.

Last year I went on the Sea Otter and Wildlife tour which was

fabulous but this year I decided I want to see some of the actual

area. I have read its very Pendestrian friendly:D

If you are going to Skagway rent a car from Avis and drive to Emerald Lake. Make sure you reserve a car in advance. We did this and for our family of 4 the car rental was under $100.00. We bought some snacks in town to take with us.

Do a search and you will find lots of information on this drive. We had a great time.

Thanks

In Ketchikan, take the city bus (the Blue Line to Totem Bight State Park, last stop) for $1 each way. Join the ranger guided walking tour (Free) or just walk yourself to see all the different Totem Poles ( can't remember...13 or 14 poles). The downtown can be easily walked.

Ken

In Juneau, stop by the Alaskan Brewery for a tour and free samples! I always do that (have a friend that lives in Juneau), then buy a 6-pack to take back to the ship. We also go to a Catholic church thats on the water -- I think its a retreat now. The church is amazing. Its right on the water, with a gift shop thats unattended -- pick out the gifts that you want and leave the money there! As someone else said, the bus to the Mendenhall Glacier is the best value in Alaska, and on any cruise.

In Sitka I take a walking tour, first to the left on the main street, and past the old timers home, there are shops for local fishermen, an old bar with pictures of shipwrecks on the wall, and numerous tall trees loaded with bald eagles. I counted over 50 eagles in the trees one day, and a local told me that there weren't many eagles that day! Then, I walk back to town, and go past town to the Totem pole park. Self-guided tour with many totem poles.

Finally . . . the best deal is before you leave, go to the PNE in Vancouver. They have great shows. I remember tractor pulls and lumberback shows. Much less expensive than the Ketchikan lumberjack show. The PNE goes through labor day weekend (as I recall . . . it was an annual family ritual).

My final inexpensive thing to do . . . mainly when I cruise the Carribean, is get on the top deck and watch for people missing the cruise ship. I've never seen somebody miss the ship leaving from an Alaska Port, but in the Carribean, a few people always arrive with moments to spare, or too late. In Alaska I think it doesn't happen because the streets start getting deserted before departure time.

If you can handle a couple of hours of walking, then collect information on self guided walking tours and nature hikes. Our best memories are hiking through the relatively easy woods in Haines last summer, which let out on pristine waters, and looking at a large group of sea birds. I think they were puffins, but whatever they were it was really interesting. Ketchikan, too, makes for a lovely walk if you go right past the gifts shops and head up into town. We saw an otter going after salmon and took a lot of nice pictures.

In Juneau, stop by the Alaskan Brewery for a tour and free samples! I always do that (have a friend that lives in Juneau), then buy a 6-pack to take back to the ship. We also go to a Catholic church thats on the water -- I think its a retreat now. The church is amazing. Its right on the water, with a gift shop thats unattended -- pick out the gifts that you want and leave the money there! As someone else said, the bus to the Mendenhall Glacier is the best value in Alaska, and on any cruise.

In Sitka I take a walking tour, first to the left on the main street, and past the old timers home, there are shops for local fishermen, an old bar with pictures of shipwrecks on the wall, and numerous tall trees loaded with bald eagles. I counted over 50 eagles in the trees one day, and a local told me that there weren't many eagles that day! Then, I walk back to town, and go past town to the Totem pole park. Self-guided tour with many totem poles.

Finally . . . the best deal is before you leave, go to the PNE in Vancouver. They have great shows. I remember tractor pulls and lumberback shows. Much less expensive than the Ketchikan lumberjack show. The PNE goes through labor day weekend (as I recall . . . it was an annual family ritual).

My final inexpensive thing to do . . . mainly when I cruise the Carribean, is get on the top deck and watch for people missing the cruise ship. I've never seen somebody miss the ship leaving from an Alaska Port, but in the Carribean, a few people always arrive with moments to spare, or too late. In Alaska I think it doesn't happen because the streets start getting deserted before departure time.

We are in Vancouver for a day or so, what and where is the "PNE"???

Hi, I don't know what the PNE is but I would recommend the

"Hop On Hop Off bus":D. I did this 2 years ago with a friend of mine

and we both thought it was a wonderful way to see different parts of

the city:)

And make sure you go to Granville Market. It is great:). We had lunch

at a place called "Bridges" and the food and view are fabulous. Its located

right on a marina!

The State Museum in Juneau is walkable and is one of the BEST Museums anywhere IMO.

I always rent a car in Juneau but ONLY FROM rentawreck. They will pick you up and return you to the ship. Our four door sedan was $51.75 (I believe that .75 is correct) including all taxes, etc.

I learned my lesson the hard way by using a big name company the first time.....................they are all at the airport. They pick you up but won't return you and the cab fare was $26. to get back to the ship.

There is a hop on hop off bus in Sitka run by the local tribe. They won't let them put out a sign but it's the tribal bus that sits off alone when you arrive via tender. It's $10. for the entire day. I love going to the Pioneer Home there and visiting with people who made Alaska what it is today. You can walk there; it's just a few blocks from St. Michaels Church. They love to share their stories and their flowers.

If you are given a coupon book, on the INSIDE of the cover is a coupon for FREE SHIPPING of everything you buy at Stores #1, 2 and 3 of Tongass Trading Co. That's represented by all of the bright red "shopping bags" you see everyone carrying. We shipped all of our souvenirs home costing them almost $30. and costing us nothing...........not even space in our luggage (of which there was NONE!). Just ask for DUPLICATE RECEIPTS when you make your first purchase and use them at the other two stores if you purchase there; your shipping info. then will be the same and it all comes in one box, PRIORITY MAIL.

The hop on hop off bus in Vancouver, BC was $38. We chose not to use that one even though PanPacific gave us a (huge) $2.00 off coupon.

Enjoy your trip.................you CAN avoid those expensive excursions. Even is you want/need to go somewhere special, you can always grab someone right on the pier and even share a van with other people.

As someone said, I never leave a port without being on deck 12 and watching everything going on...................in Ketchikan it ALWAYS includes people late back to the ship...................this year not one of them was hurrying and two ladies even traded cameras and took photos of each other by the ship as we all watched in disbelief. They were already twenty minutes late. Hope this doesn't start yet another thread of "do ships wait for you if you are late" conversation.

Just GET BACK TO THE SHIP WITH TIME TO SPARE and grab an ice cream cone and get up to Deck 12!;)

Archived