tampa

cruiselover 43

Don't know where you are staying but Busch Gardens and Adventure Island if you have the time. The Florida Aquarium is right next to the port and it is a very nice aquarium. Be sure to get the combo ticket that takes you on a boat ride into the bay to look for dolphins. Channelside is a little mall, restaurant comples right at the port. Lots of dining options and a theater with an IMAX screen too. Enjoy!

Also, Ybor City area has interesting restaurants and the street car. Hampton Inn there has a good park n cruise rate will save you $$ parking at the cruise terminal. Embaasy Suites often has good deals on rooms. There are 2 malls near the airport, a short distance away, with many shops and restaurants.

I agree with mjmagee, Busch Gardens is alot of fun! It will take a whole day to see it all, but they have the BEST roller coaster collection in Florida (and thats saying alot!). Pluse they have free beer at the Hospitality House!

Good restaurant - Bahama Breeze. I'm not sure exactly where you are staying, nor am I exactly sure how to get there. I can tell you that we stayed at a hotel near the airport, and the restaurant was not far from there. The food was EXCELLENT.

Tampa is a great cruise terminal, by the way. They are very organized, and get you both in and out very quickly.

regarding resturants ... tampa has quite a few very good places... where are you staying and what are your tastes?

Steak?? there are a couple... you cant beat berns and they have the largest wine collection in the US plus an outstanding desert loft..

something casual? try sheppards .. clearwater beach .. great seafood buffet, nice tiki bar outstanding people watching...

regards

I agree with mjmagee, Busch Gardens is alot of fun! It will take a whole day to see it all, but they have the BEST roller coaster collection in Florida (and thats saying alot!). Pluse they have free beer at the Hospitality House!

The free beer is sadly a thing of the past.

Since you are staying at Chase Suites, you are right by Bahama Breeze, great family restaurant with a huge outside covered deck right by the water.

I agree with Busch Gardens & Adventure Island. Ybor City has some great places, Tampa Bay Brewing Co in Ybor in Centro Ybor, Gameworks is there too. You might want to try MOSI also near Busch Gardens, they are having a Bodies exhibit which is a must see. St. Pete beach is great too and I prefer it to Clearwater Beach (too crowded) - at St. Pete Beach, pass a grille is quieter and my fave beach over there. Not too mention a couple of cool restaurants, The Hurricane and The Wharf.

We northerners are driving to Tampa FL - any suggestions for a good restaurant with teenagers?? or Things to see??

Definitely go to channelside. There's plenty to do there and several resturants. There's also a fun political parody shop called White House on the street side. Magarita Mama's has good nacho's (and margaritas!). Wet Willie's has great drinks for the big kids but you should be able to take your drink and carry it around Channelside. Just don't leave with it! There's a Bennigan's, Stumps BBQ, ice cream store, wine shop, chocolate store, bowling alley, movie theatre, and so on. Mostly, we just enjoyed wandering around, having a few drinks and enjoying the weather.

There's also the Florida Aquarium right next to the port. It's a great place to spend a few hours and you can even sit outside and eat or just kill some time.

Ybor City is fun and connected to Channelside by the trolley. There's a bunch of shops, resturants, and I think even an arcade.

Tampa is a great city to embark from. Just laid back and relaxing.

Oh and if you need anything from the grocery store, there should be a publix in the downtown area. I wish we had one of those here!

We were in Tampa a few weeks ago..!! Trolley was quite a lot of fun!:) $5.00 for 'the all day pass'.. :p

Ate at Streetcar Charlie's in Ybor City.. Food was great, but be aware that the staff are mostly 'gay', which doesn't bother us in the least!.. (Just a heads up for the kids)..;)

Spent some time at the Florida Aquarium which was quite nice.. (Make sure you take a coupon from the Tampa Coupon book, found in most hotels - Discounted ticket price)!! Regular price is $19.95, I believe..:eek:

Found a rooftop bar with Happy Hour pricing, right next to the Pier...:D

I agree with the previous posters! Channelside is a great spot, you could go to Splitsville! Or hop on the trolley to Ybor City (about a 5-10 minute ride) and take the kids to Gameworks. There are a lot of great little resturaunts in Ybor & Channelside, my choice would be The Columbia though!

We will be at Mainsail Suites. How much would a cab be to Ybor and Clearwater. Any other sites that are a must to see. We have 2 days to keep busy to keep our minds off the anticipation of the cruise. Plus my husband is not a sit around and relax type of guy. Would it be worth the taxi fare to go to those places?

Taxi fare to Ybor City from Mainsail would probably run close to $30.00 each way

Mainsail to Clearwater, assuming the beach area, would be much more than that, as Clearwater Beach is quite a distance.

I would consider renting a car for 1 or 2 days. We have used Hotwire in the past and they offer extremely competitive rates.

Archived