SCAVI Tour

Okay, just got an E-mail that I was accepted for the Scavi Tour. Now can you please tell me about it and why I don't want to miss taking this tour. I have a touch of claustophobia, will I have problems. Is it hot down there? Can I wear capri's or do I need long pants. How about payment? Anyone have a problem E-mailing their credit card information?

I appreciate anything you can tell me about this tour. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link to a thread I started called Scavi FAQs and links. I think it will answer most of your questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=854634&highlight=scavi+faqs

I did the tour in November, so it was not hot. You can certainly wear capris if you wish, as long as your knees are covered.

I had no problem giving them my CC info, nor have I ever heard anyone report a problem doing this.

You don't say what time of year you will be in Rome, but since you mention capris, and because they don't give out reservations much in advance, I'm assuming your trip is fairly soon.

The stated requirements for dress within Vatican City are shoulders and knees covered, so capris should be fine.

In the middle of summer, I'd expect it to be quite damp there, since it was when I visited in January when everything else was dry.

There are places where the walls and ceiling get physically close, but it's while you are moving from one area to another. The places where you stop to look and listen to the guide are good size "rooms".

Why not miss it? Well, there are clearly other "digs" and excavations around Rome (San Clemente, Santi Giovanni e Paolo, and several different catacombs come immediately to mind) but this one has special significance if you are a Christian, perhaps even more so if you are Roman Catholic, because the church believes you are looking at the actual burial place of St. Peter.

Great tour. Highly recommend it. DH has a touch of claustrophobia and he was absolutely fine. I wore capris with no problem and we went on the tour in June and it was not hot down there.

If you go on the tour I would highly recommend a book called The Bones of St. Peter that discussed the excavation and research. A little dry but such a help when we were on the tour. My friend and I had read the book and our DH's had not. We got so much more out of the tour then they did. The book was a little tough to find but were able to get it through an intra-library loan.

How long sgo did you submit your request for the tour. We won't be in Rome until Nov. 4th but have not yet been confirmed for the tour though I request 2 months ago. I did receive the auto reply that the request was received.

How long sgo did you submit your request for the tour. We won't be in Rome until Nov. 4th but have not yet been confirmed for the tour though I request 2 months ago. I did receive the auto reply that the request was received.

I made my request last March.

Great tour. Highly recommend it. DH has a touch of claustrophobia and he was absolutely fine. I wore capris with no problem and we went on the tour in June and it was not hot down there.

If you go on the tour I would highly recommend a book called The Bones of St. Peter that discussed the excavation and research. A little dry but such a help when we were on the tour. My friend and I had read the book and our DH's had not. We got so much more out of the tour then they did. The book was a little tough to find but were able to get it through an intra-library loan.

Thanks for the recommendation and the information on the claustrophobia and capri's. I will definiately look for the book.

Archived