Ryanair to make passengers stand

Mildred

If the traditional "Seat" is the only way to meet this requirement, you are correct. But, looking at those pics a few posts up, and seeing a "seat" and seatbelt, it looks like someone has been thinking outside the box.

Even more than traditional, it specifies an "approved" seat, which means as installed in accordance with FAA approvals. If the FAA approved on those things as a seat, then it would meet the requirement, but to the best of my knowledge, and I subscribe to 4 seperate aviation magazines a month and peruse 2 to 3 others, no one in the states is even asking the FAA to test one of those designs.

How is it better for everyone :confused: If Ryanair are providing cheap flights to people who may not be able to afford them otherwise and who are prepared to accept that the product comes without bells and whistles why should it matter to those who don't choose to fly this way.

I've flown Ryanair once without any problems and Easyjet many times - again without problems.

Good luck to them I say - if you don't want to fly with them then it's your perogative to choose to pay a lot more to fly with a different airline :rolleyes:

I agree. I just went for a weekend in Alicante, Spain to celebrate my wedding anniversary - I booked with Ryanair and the price was over £150 cheaper than the next cheapest airline and I could not fault Ryanair. Check in was smooth, flight left 10 minutes early, smooth flight, arrived in Spain 15 minutes early. A repeat on my return - all went well. I'd happily book with them again. The check in girl was a bit miserable but so I am at 6am in the morning! lol

I was very anxious before flying with Ryanair as Id read so many nightmare stories - but I can now say after flying with them twice I had no problems.

I doubt they would make passengers stand for H & S reasons. As for paying to use the loo - dont know about that!:confused:

Ryan Air is not going to "make" passengers stand. Their proposal is to offer a cheaper fare for those who are willing to stand. Even so, it is a disastrous proposal by a cheap, cheap airline. It would not be permitted flying in or out of any US airport where the FAA requires all passengers to be seated with seat belts fastened prior to take off or landing. We would NEVER fly that airline anyhow sounds more like a cattle car!!!:(

And after the latest crash in Comoros this idea looks even more stupid. One of the complaints is that a lot of those flights would be oversold where passengers would be standing. To even suggest this is irresponsible of the corporate leadership.

And This is Relative to RCCI Because:

People from the UK and other European countries use Ryanair to get to their RCI ships!! is that not sufficient enough to warrant it being on the RCI boards?

And This is Relative to RCCI Because:

People from the UK and other European countries use Ryanair to get to their RCI ships!! is that not sufficient enough to warrant it being on the RCI boards?

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking when I saw that question asked.

Of course it matters and is relative to RCCI.

What a hoot! May work until the first passenger gets injured by turbulence and then we will see how much money is saved. His idea about charging for overweight passengers may actually catch on. I would hate to be the customer service personnel at the ticket counter weighting in the passengers. They would have to have really poor hearing and a thick skin for that procedure.

Hannah

What a hoot! May work until the first passenger gets injured by turbulence and then we will see how much money is saved. His idea about charging for overweight passengers may actually catch on. I would hate to be the customer service personnel at the ticket counter weighting in the passengers. They would have to have really poor hearing and a thick skin for that procedure.

Hannah

Actually the extra charge for overweight people at this point won´t work and the plans have been put to a hold at Ryanair.

The reason for this was not the care for their employees though, the reason is that they plan to completely eliminate any check-in personal and so they have no idea at this point how to control their passengers:rolleyes:

Although standing room might have some merit for short flights, an hour or so, passengers prefer to drive. Time spent going to the departure airport, time spent going through security and time spent going from the arrival airport to your ultimate destination evaporates all, or most, of any time savings.

Maybe the idea could work for intra island flights in locations like Hawaii or the Caribbean.

I agree with the pp, this is nothing more then a publicity grab by Ryanair.

Just like leoandhugh said, they absolutely cannot do this on a flight to or from the States. The FAA requires passengers in private aircraft to be seated and strapped in for takeoff and landing. In fact, it is illegal to even taxi unless all the passengers butts are in a seat and buckled in. FAR 91.107 to be specific.

Please re-read FAR 91.107 - "approved seat or berth" - it is already a known fact that more than one airline is contending this contraption could count as a "berth."

Just the messenger. Please don't shoot the messenger.

For certification purposes I would think that the biggest issue would probably be getting the emergency evacuations performed in a timely manner.

Sept 2008

reise_stehsitz_inne_666696g.jpg

reise_stehsitz_23_D_666652g.jpg

Reminds me of a fancy roller coasters that my kids like to ride on at Magic Mountain. Perhaps MOL will charge extra for flights that perform stunts!

The sooner Ryanair and Michael O'Leary go under the better for everyone !!!

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

It's being considered by a Chinese carrier.

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

The sooner Ryanair and Michael O'Leary go under the better for everyone !!!.......

My thoughts exactly reading all this. We all hear about business looking after the pennies more than service/safety but the stories regarding Ryanair just seem to keep making one shake their head each and every time.

Never travelled Ryanair and must admit I have no desire to put my life in Michael O'Leary's hands.

David

Although having to pay extra if you are obese seems to me to be a good idea. Maybe a rental charge for the seat belt extender? It might help those who are really trying to improve their health by giving them an incentive to do so?

If it gives a bigger seat - then I would go for it - no problem.

If it gives a bigger seat - then I would go for it - no problem.

Absolutely, especially on long flights I would be more than willing to pay for two seats to have more room, like some airlines have been announcing big people should. However if I´d be doing this I want the full service coming with those two seats (nope I´m not tlaking about the yucky airline food). I´m talking about stuff like luggage allowance and actually getting those two seats next to each other to enjoy the space. However at this point airlines would take your money, but overbook the flight and give that seat to other passengers to actually fill it.

Just for the record, I´m not a small guy but still fit into an airline seat without a problem and seat belt extension;)

Just for those that say why not go in business class- if it´s reasonable I try to go business but two seats in economy most of the times would be way less than the business fare.

Archived