Hoping to take my first cruise next May.

nannyd43

First of all thanks to all of you "seasoned" cruisers who are kind enough to answer questions. I am planning on taking my first cruise next May, going to Alaska. I will be traveling by myself, I am also oxygen dependant. Any advise or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Do you know which cruiseline you will be cruising on? For instance RCL provided a extension cord for a lady, but on Carnival, she had to pay a $25 deposit for it. You could bring your own cord too. Remember there is only one outlet in the cabin, by the desk.

There will be wheelchair assistance and you can board before everyone else with pretty much any cruiseline.

Do you have any specific questions? Will you want a handicapped cabin? On many cruiselines, these cabins are a little bigger and provide bars and a pull down shower seat which we use and sure is nice. Sometimes picking a cabin costs a little more than a guarantee.

I believe you will have to fill out a guest needs form at least for your oxygen so mention any and all needs you will have to your travel agent and they will prepare all your documents and tell you what you may need such as power strip or cord, etc.

You need to find out what kind of oxygen containers are allowed on your cruise ship. Not all kinds are legal. Call the special needs department of your cruise line to find out. If you don't want to bring your own along, there is a company that will provide all the oxygen containers you need. They are called CareVacations and they provide wheelchairs, scooters and many other devices for person's with disabilities.

As for the comment that wheelchair people are allowed on board before anyone else, that's not at all true, unfortunately. We wait in long lines just like anyone else, even for embarkation and disembarkation.

As for the comment that wheelchair people are allowed on board before anyone else, that's not at all true, unfortunately. We wait in long lines just like anyone else, even for embarkation and disembarkation.

My sister is not even in a wheelchair and they have been motioning her over to the HC line and to a special place where she boarded with the VIP cruisers and other HC folks, pretty regularly. True some get on before, like wedding parties, but they have been boarding us special for the last year. Before that they didnt, maybe she looks more handicapped these days (probably true) that they are pulling her out of line to help her.

Thats been my experience out of Galveston lately, for multiple cruises, both RCL and Carnival. Princess didnt let us board early, but we also didnt ask and she wasnt on a cane then either.

I have traveled quite extensively on most cruise lines, with my mom and I both in wheelchairs and my sister trying to push us along, and we've never been given special boarding privileges. You're lucky that it happened for you.

Archived