The Definitive Shareholder Benefit Thread - Read This First!

VibeGuy

Not the least bit concerned. They have given me back far more $$$ than I have given them. :D In 2009 only we received $1100 and in 2010 we will receive $1150 with another $750 already scheduled for 2011.

What about all the money you have given them for the cruises you go on? Are you saying they make no money off you?

What about all the money you have given them for the cruises you go on? Are you saying they make no money off you?

Oh yes, they get a lot of money from me. But I'm getting a lot from them too. I would be cruising with or w/o the OBC, so the OBC is just a very sweet bonus.

• 3 months later...

So in order to be fair and warn all of you that a very unlucky investor now owns the shares, I thought I best post this. If you continue to hold the shares and bad things happen, don't say that you were not warned.

LOL...I hear you on that one!

Thanks to all on this forum for the information and explanations. I bot my shares of CCL this morning and (in my head) it is already up 2.50/share since I will apply the shares to my 2 Carnival & 1 Princess upcoming cruises!

btw...I did see the OBC IS extended till 2011. THANKS CCL!

Not many "sure winners" in the markets these days, but as long as I'm cruising CCL, I'll stay happy!

Thanks again!

In short, what is the benefit of owning Carnival shares when you sail on Princess?

Carnival provides qualified shareholders sailing with Princess with an On-Board Credit (OBC) of varying amounts in addition to the regular cash dividends paid to all shareholders. The amounts are subject to change, but as of July 1, 2009, they are as follows:

Six Days or Less: $50 / ₤25 / €40 / AUD 50

Seven to Thirteen Days: $100 / ₤50 / €75 / AUD 100

Fourteen Days or Longer: $250 / ₤125 / €200 / AUD 250

On Princess, the benefit is awarded in the onboard currency of the sailing, not the currency of the stockholder’s residence or the currency the cruise was paid in.

These benefits are subject to renewal by the boards of Carnival Corporation and Carnival PLC. The benefit currently extends to cruises booked by February 28, 2010 for sailings through July 31, 2010. You must request the benefit prior to sailing.

I know this is an old thread....but I am SOOO glad it reappeared....

we have had Carnival stock for years and always enjoyed the OBC....and I had COMPLETELY forgotten that I can use it on Princess as well. woo hoo!!

Not the least bit concerned. They have given me back far more $$$ than I have given them. :D In 2009 only we received $1100 and in 2010 we will receive $1150 with another $750 already scheduled for 2011.

Our goal has always been to get at least 10% return on our investment annually.

Which we have always been able to do, I am happy to say.

And the fact that this 10% is tax free....is all the better!!! :)

Edited by LHP

It was suggested to us that we switch our reservations around and put Mr5W in one room and me in the second, with the boys one in each room. This was after we had booked and paid. That way we each got OBC since we own our 100 shares jointly. Liza really is great! Took no time at all, didn't cost us anything, and within an hour of the suggestion everything was changed around and our OBC appeared.

As far as the issue of it influencing our opinions here- OBC will have some influence on my decisions, but the idea that owning 100 shares of the stock makes me enough of an owner to make any difference is unlikely. Most of us, although not all of us, bought the stock for the OBC. It becomes a decent investment when you cruise several times a year. I have stock in other vacation options too- including some that I would never consider for myself, although happily others seem to like them.

It was suggested to us that we switch our reservations around and put Mr5W in one room and me in the second, with the boys one in each room. This was after we had booked and paid. That way we each got OBC since we own our 100 shares jointly. Liza really is great! Took no time at all, didn't cost us anything, and within an hour of the suggestion everything was changed around and our OBC appeared.

As far as the issue of it influencing our opinions here- OBC will have some influence on my decisions, but the idea that owning 100 shares of the stock makes me enough of an owner to make any difference is unlikely. Most of us, although not all of us, bought the stock for the OBC. It becomes a decent investment when you cruise several times a year. I have stock in other vacation options too- including some that I would never consider for myself, although happily others seem to like them.

Well done.

When we've booked in the UK, which should be the same as anywhere else, we were told that it is one shareholder OBC per booking, so we would have to book separately to get 2 x OBC.

We have not booked our 2 cabins yet....so we will give this a try as well...

nothing ventured...nothing gained!! :)

Does anyone know or has anyone used the email address below:

How do you go about actually getting the credit?

As of July 1, 2009, you provide your name, reservation number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (i.e., photocopy of shareholder proxy card, shares certificate, trade confirmation or a current brokerage or nominee statement) after final payment for the cruise is made, to:

PRINCESS CRUISES

Yield Management

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Tel 800-872-6779 ext. 30305

Fax 661-753-0180

I have emailed the same information to the current Yield Management representative, Liza McDaniel at

lmcdaniel@princesscruises.com with success.

I guess my question is does anyone know if Liza McDaniel is still with Princess and is still the Yield Management representative.

I need to email my info to her if she is the correct person to send it to.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

Does anyone know or has anyone used the email address below:

How do you go about actually getting the credit?

As of July 1, 2009, you provide your name, reservation number, ship and sailing date, along with proof of ownership of Carnival Corporation or Carnival plc shares (i.e., photocopy of shareholder proxy card, shares certificate, trade confirmation or a current brokerage or nominee statement) after final payment for the cruise is made, to:

PRINCESS CRUISES

Yield Management

24844 Avenue Rockefeller

Santa Clarita, CA 91355

Tel 800-872-6779 ext. 30305

Fax 661-753-0180

I have emailed the same information to the current Yield Management representative, Liza McDaniel at

lmcdaniel@princesscruises.com with success.

I guess my question is does anyone know if Liza McDaniel is still with Princess and is still the Yield Management representative.

I need to email my info to her if she is the correct person to send it to.

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

This is where I have sent my proof of ownership to Liz via fax or sometimes via email and have had it processed four times since January so it should be right

I have sent it the day after final payment has been made and there is no problem.

(Welcome home Pia)

Thanks Bill. Not home yet, but getting there.

Doesn't always work that quickly, so that's why I suggest waiting a few days.

I am booked to leave on CB in about a month. I do not own CCL stock, but is it too late for me to buy it this week and still get the OBC?

Not too late. As long as you have proof of purchase to submit, you can even do it the last week. However, I wouldn't wait that long. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a time frame for keeping the stock? Do you have to hold onto it?

Also, it says not for use for gratuities, but often times when I have gotten OBC it says that, and they immediately start taking the gratuties from our obc. We have often used it for that, even though it has always said (on other lines) you can't. Can this credit be used for grauties (even though is says you can't) or if the gas surcharge comes back, can it be used for that? Thank you.

Yes, of course you have to hold on to it. There would be little point in Princess giving OBC if you didn't keep the shares! And you have to provide proof every tme you apply for OBC so that Princess have an up to date statement.

Is there a time frame for keeping the stock? Do you have to hold onto it?

Also, it says not for use for gratuities, but often times when I have gotten OBC it says that, and they immediately start taking the gratuties from our obc. We have often used it for that, even though it has always said (on other lines) you can't. Can this credit be used for grauties (even though is says you can't) or if the gas surcharge comes back, can it be used for that? Thank you.

There is no requirement to keep the stock for any period of time. However, as with any stock, you should not purchase it if you do not consider it a good investment.

All OBC is treated the same. It starts out as a credit on your shipboard account and all types of charges that are posted to the account will first be subtracted from your OBC before you will start to have a balance you will need to pay.

I would guess that 99% of the posters on here only buy Carnival shares for the OBC. When I bought mine, I didn't really care if it was a good investment or not. I only bought it for the OBC! And, yes, you do have to keep the shares to get the OBC.

And, yes, you do have to keep the shares to get the OBC.

Maybe I worded it wrong. Once my cruise is over, I meant, is there any obligation to keep the shares for a certain amount of time? Someone else answered that we don't need to.

There is no requirement to keep the stock for any period of time. However, as with any stock, you should not purchase it if you do not consider it a good investment. All OBC is treated the same. It starts out as a credit on your shipboard account and all types of charges that are posted to the account will first be subtracted from your OBC before you will start to have a balance you will need to pay.

Thank you.

As for it being a good investment..unless it suddenly nosedives it would be, if we get the $250 OBC. Much of our portfolio is stock, I'm just not sure this particular stock will be a keeper, or a good long term investment, which is why I asked if there is a period of time that you must hold onto it to get the obc.

I wonder why they tell you that it can't be used for gratuties but it actually can be.

There is no required holding period for the stock. As far as I know you just have to own it so it shows on a recent statement. However, as mentioned above that will just get you the OBC for the current cruise, but not future ones.