Is there a "great" line for teens to Alaska?

klguess

We really want to do the Alaska route next year, but pretty much every review has demographics in the older ranges. We don't mind that - nor do we mind a "quiet" ship vs. some of the party ships in the Caribbean. But , I would like my older teens to meet some other people their age (15/18)....does anyone feel that there is a line that is better for younger people?

I see you have done NCL - what about NCL Pearl for Alaska? I am not sure if the Pearl is back again in Alaska next year (so ignore me if its not ;) )

You are going to have a higher age demo doing Alaska, but maybe try to minimize it by going on NCL?

I don't know what the general ages of the RCCL ships are on THAT itinerary. I know Princess and HAL definitly is older in Alaska. Maybe Carnival?

Just FYI, I cruised Alaska on Princess wayyyyyyy back when I was a teenager (before there were formal kids programs on cruise ships) and even then there were others my age on board. I think because Alaska is mostly during the summer, any of the major family-friendly lines will have teenagers on board.

Best,

Mia

I took my teen to Alaska on Princess last year. I really enjoyed the ship, but he (and he had a friend along) really had to make their own fun as there were not many tween/teens around. (First week of June) If I were to take him again, I would choose the Carnival Spirit or NCL Pearl.

We're traveling to Alaska for the first time in a few weeks on the Pearl and we will have our two young teens with us. The recent trip reports that I have been reading on the NCL forum gives me the impression that there are a fair amount of children on the cruise.

Since it is summer and Alaska is full of activities I think you might be surprised at the number of families on board.

I am hoping that is the case and I will know for sure in August. There are endless choices of things to do and beautiful scenery and wildlife so my teens are pretty excited.

I would say Royal Caribbean or NCL. But, make sure you travel late in June, or all of July or the first two weeks in August. If you don't, there are far less kids on board. Many school districts aren't out until the second week of June and quite a few go back the third week of August, but anytime in between would be fine for a lot of kids. I would avoid HAL and maybe even Princess because I know HAL does attract and older demographic and Princess does limit the number of kids on board their ships.

thanks everyone! We were looking at the June 8 sailing, but as someone mentioned, it might be early for schools to be out. Texas schools are out.... and the heat is high by then - looking for the Alaska escape! :D

108 at my home today....

Was on the NCL Pearl for June 21 cruise, they said there were about 80 teens on board. They seemed to be having a lot of fun whenever we saw them. Most had already made some friends and were hanging out in groups.

We were on the Golden Princess, round trip out of Seattle about a month ago. My son is 15 and my daughter is 12. They both had a fantastic time. There were plenty of other kids on board and both were able to get some names and contact info for some of the new friends they met. There were many activities for the kids. I find that Princess is a great multi-generational cruise line. There is something for everyone.

Im a teen and I have done NCL and Princess to alaska the last 2 years. Had a great time on both! I would consider NCL, Princess, or RCCL first. But there will still be things to do on HAL(larger ships like Westerdam) and Celebity.

I would also pick NCL Pearl--lots of activities onboard that would be popular with teens, like bowling and the Wii on the big screen in the atrium. Great prices usually still at the start of June, good time to go to Alaska. Weather up there is hit or miss any time of year, so you might as well go when it's less pricey!

My 15 y/o DD really loved her "teen group" experience on the Westerdam. While our 6/28-7/5 Alaska cruise had a fair number of teens aboard, it was my daughter who pointed out that it was the staff in the Loft that really made it so special!

There is a big difference between the first week of June and the third week of June. Many public schools don't let out until mid-June.

I did an Alaska cruise in July and there lots of kids. But on the other three there were very few children. There are always some.

I agree that there are bound to be more teens on NCL, Royal and Carnival after mid-June than on Holland, Celebrity or Princess.

Our experience is that the cruise lines that have solid children's programs in other locations also have great programs in Alaska. Personally, I would try to choose a cruise line that appeals to both adults and children and in Alaska one that has been sailing there for many years. There are more than one to choose from that meets both.

Keith

We JUST got back from Alaska and did a HAL cruisetour. There were plenty of kids for DS12 and DS14 once on the ship-just a few on the land portion. They loved it and during sea days it was almost like DH and I were on a vacation without kids! Next year our schools don't get until 6/10 so you may not have as many kids at that time as we did during July.

My kids will be 15 and 12 when we go to Alaska next year. We narrowed it down to RCCL, Carnival, and NCL. Our kids have been on NCL a few times (5) and last year they loved the Carnival Miracle which is the same design as the Carnival Spirit.

We decided on the NCL Pearl. Glacier Bay and the Aft balcony cabin were the deciding factors. The kids also want to go bowling on a ship!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I was just researching the Pearl and it seems to have the most varied activities for children of all ages. Also looking at the Sapphire Princess...

FYI, we were on the Star Princess about 5 years ago (when it was considered the largest and newest ship; HA!). We went mid-July and there were TONS of children everywhere, all having a great time. At that time, our little girl was only 3 so we left her at home with the grandparents, but I do remember thinking that we could have easily brought her along because of all of the activities....

We are going to try for late Sept for the Pearl's repositioning cruise this time so we'll see how many kids there are. I will need to pull my DD out of school for a week but it's only their 2nd week of school so I am thinking it will be fine.

Katherine

Archived