Credit Card Question

mabunc

In getting ready to make the final payment on my upcoming Princess Cruise, I wanted to use my husband's credit card. The initial payment was made on my credit card. My husband is not going on this cruise. Princess told my travel agent that they could not use his credit card to pay for this trip because he wasn't going on the cruise. Has anyone heard of this before? So this means if I wanted to buy a cruise for someone as a gift, I wouldn't be allowed to do it???:confused:

In getting ready to make the final payment on my upcoming Princess Cruise, I wanted to use my husband's credit card. The initial payment was made on my credit card. My husband is not going on this cruise. Princess told my travel agent that they could not use his credit card to pay for this trip because he wasn't going on the cruise. Has anyone heard of this before? So this means if I wanted to buy a cruise for someone as a gift, I wouldn't be allowed to do it???:confused:

Good question, I would imagine that a passengers name must be on the credit card used. ;)

I pay for my Dad's cruise using my CC all the time. I have never had an issue. I just give the CC to my travel agent and she takes care of it. I even use my CC on his cruise personalizer to pay for onboard purchases.

I had my cruise for my honeymoon paid for by a family member that did not go on the cruise, and we had no issue. I would call the cruise line directly, and they might need to speak to your husband but should be no trouble.

Are you a named user on his account? There should be no problem using his card. Perhaps your travel agent needs to recheck this.

I paid for my adult daughter. There is time for the company to double check the validity of your credit card use (husband to dispute) before sailing....I would think they would accept money where ever they can get it. I wonder if it is a new employee that didn't understand all of the directions.

Call again and try again with a new person.

Good luck and happy sails!!

I am going to guess that someone at princess is confusing final payment by another credit card vs placing a credit card gurantee for your onboard purchases that is not in your name. Definitely have your TA call and recheck, although your TA should realize there is something not right here. Maybe they have not dealt with Princess a lot in the past, but this is done all of the time without problem.

My guess is that Princess is confused. I can't see why you can't your husband's credit card, it should be fine. But, for the passengers boarding the ship, once they arrive to check in, Princess probably wants each person to use their own credit credit card, or a card belonging to someone who is actually crusing. But in terms of making payment for the cruise, you should not have a problem.

You've got a TA who's not very knowledgeable if she can relay this kind of misinformation to you. Call Princess.

Sounds like she isn't listed as a user on her husband's credit card. My husband has cc that I'm not a user on, and I have cc that he isn't a user on. Neither of us can charge on the other persons card.

But her husband can call in and use his card to make final payment for his wife's cruise.

This is absolutely not true; tell your TA to call back. I lost my wallet a few days before final payment for a cruise came due and had to use my mother's VISA card to pay final balance (and I'm not listed as an authorized user of the card; I didn't even have the card in my possession, just the number). Princess didn't blink an eye; in fact, they didn't even ask for the name on the card.

And yes, for those of you wondering, I did pay my mother back, although she said I didn't have to, the cruise would be her treat. Aren't moms great?

This is absolutely not true; tell your TA to call back. I lost my wallet a few days before final payment for a cruise came due and had to use my mother's VISA card to pay final balance (and I'm not listed as an authorized user of the card; I didn't even have the card in my possession, just the number). Princess didn't blink an eye; in fact, they didn't even ask for the name on the card.

And yes, for those of you wondering, I did pay my mother back, although she said I didn't have to, the cruise would be her treat. Aren't moms great?

is your mom looking to adopt a grown daughter? i'm housebroken...

Thanks for the feedback. My travel agent called Princess back and was told by the Princess rep who said she has worked at Princess for 10 years that it has always been their policy that they will not take a credit card charge over the phone if the last name on the credit card is different from cruisers and/or the credit card holder is not cruising. Since I kept my last name when I got married, my husband and I have different last names. So either my husband has to call Princess directly or he has to fill out a credit card authorization form from Princess. This is quite bizarre as I buy airline tickets and hotel rooms all the time either over the phone or online for members of my family using credit cards with names that don't match. Not good Princess!

Thanks for the feedback. My travel agent called Princess back and was told by the Princess rep who said she has worked at Princess for 10 years that it has always been their policy that they will not take a credit card charge over the phone if the last name on the credit card is different from cruisers and/or the credit card holder is not cruising. Since I kept my last name when I got married, my husband and I have different last names. So either my husband has to call Princess directly or he has to fill out a credit card authorization form from Princess. This is quite bizarre as I buy airline tickets and hotel rooms all the time either over the phone or online for members of my family using credit cards with names that don't match. Not good Princess!

So, did he call?

I can see them wanting to verify that the owner of the card is authorizing the charge. With all the news about identity theft these days, I'd be glad for this precaution.

That said, they should still be able to take the charge if your husband called. I don't think that's out of line.

I can see them wanting to verify that the owner of the card is authorizing the charge. With all the news about identity theft these days, I'd be glad for this precaution.

That said, they should still be able to take the charge if your husband called. I don't think that's out of line.

It's not like you are buying a car and are going to drive away with it. They have 75 days to check it out.

I have a client who treats people to cruises. I have always had to photocopy her

credit card front and back and fax that and a letter authorizing the card by her.

That's happened 5 or 6 times, every time.

Archived