Afternoon Tea

k9mama

It is Afternoon Tea not High Tea.

Thanks Donna.....I know it's a minor point but it bothers me when people use the term High Tea. My parents always refered to supper as "tea" meaning High Tea.....they didn't just have scones for their supper. Afternoon Tea is just a snack. That's what is served on the ship.

Cheers Moira

Not sure whether i have missed the answer to this but what time is Afternoon Tea served? Thanks

It is served from 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

Now that ice cream is free all day you ( I ;) ) won't have to choose between tea and ice cream. :D

Donna, thanks so much for that fascinating explanation about the difference between Afternoon Tea and High Tea!! I had always used the two terms interchangeably (in fact, if anything, I thought "High Tea" meant "High-Class tea"!!! so I really had it backwards).

I love historical information like that, and to become more well-informed about where various terms and traditions come from. Thanks once more for providing that interesting detail... I won't forget it in the future, and will probably share it with others!!

This is something of a different kind of Ship Trip. But made in America!

FREE:Gratis:

NASA Sends your name to Mars on a mission!

This is your chance to go to Mars (for free)!

Fill in your information below and your name will be included with others on a

Micro Chip on the Mars Science Laboratory rover heading to Mars in 2011 A.D.!

IMHO for your families and children. The schools and classes will benefit from/with this and all on an American Micro Chip aboard the ship.

http://mars9.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/sendyourname/index.cfm

After you enter it you can print a Full Color ( Colour ) Print of it too!

Neat! Thanks for posting the link.

Several years ago I remember going to the Plaza Hotel in New York for tea. We did not drink tea, we drank Champagne cocktails. Can you order a bottle of Champagne at afternoon tea onboard ship?

They would be happy to sell you a bottle any time.

Hi:)

We are sailing on the CB Princess on Aug. 13th, this is our first Princess cruise and we are a little confused about Afternoon Tea. We have had teas both on HAL and Carnival.

Is the Afternoon Tea on Princess every day or just sea days?

Whatever it is, we are looking forward to the tea, it's a very relaxing experience.

Thanks for your help.:)

synet165:)

mmmmmmmmmmmm afternoon tea is wonderful, it even drags me away from sunbathing, then after afternoon tea has finished its cocktail hour lol! 28 days and counting till I cruise the Med on the Grand Princess cant wait

• 1 month later...

be there closer to 3 than 4.

Serving seems to drop off around 330.

The items served are usually the same but the conversation is most always enjoyable.

Yes look in the Patter, its usually from 3p-4p in one of the dining rooms.

Okay, thanks! We'll try tea once at the start of the cruise and see how it goes. :)

Well, we ended up going to tea 4 days. We loved it! Getting water to drink was...uuhh..interesting. The first day, it took 25 minutes to get it and I really think we only got it because the maitre d came over and asked how everything was and I said "great, except I've asked twice for water and never got it".

The second day we went, I asked for water as they seated me and had it almost instantly. The other two days, it was brought fairly quickly.

We really loved the scones, but found it frustrating that sometimes the jam/cream didn't come for a very long time after the scones.

I just wanted to add in the tidbit that, for those that want to try the scones but are not that into the whole "tea thing," you can get the scones along with cream and jam at the buffet between 3pm and 4pm. Personally, I loved the whole tea experience. It was very laid back, and I really enjoyed the company and conversation. Since my DH had no interest in going, and that seemed to be a time when I could more easily grab a lounger by the pool, I only made it to tea once on my last cruise, but I stopped at the buffet for scones every day.

Michelle

I love scones, cream, and jam and never realized this! Thanks for posting.....now I know where to go on days when I don't want to do the full tea. :)

Some of the most fun experiences I've had onboard with other passengers has been at the afternoon tea. One favorite:

On our Egypt/Med cruise, there were a group of us on a particular tour in Athens who all thought we had to buy a skirt to wear to the mosque in Egypt (conflicting info given...:rolleyes:). We all ended up buying the same, cheap touristy Greek skirt to wear -- then didn't even need it in Egypt! So we decided to meet for tea and all wore our Greek skirts....well, I guess you had to be there. Let's just say the volume of chatter was definitely high. One elderly gent was seated our our (almost) full table and I felt a bit sorry for him as we were all going on like houses afire.

We even ended up having photos made on the staircase of all of us in our matching skirts. It was a hoot!

I've been to tea at the Ritz Carlton here (Atlanta) on a frequent basis, had tea in London numerous times, and just recently got to experience tea at the Empress hotel in Victoria. The ship can't quite live up to that, but it is a very pleasant experience nonetheless.

Someone mentioned early in this thread they served fruitcake....may be my ploy to get my hubby to tea. He's not a tea drinker and he gave up coffee awhile back, but fruitcake, now that's a tradtion lately. He orders one out of the catalog. Surely the ship's would be better!!!!;)

Is tea seated like open seating breakfast or lunch? I've wanted to go on my last two cruises, but I always ran out of time or tea was too close to early seating (5:30, yuk) so I am DETERMINED to go on my next cruise! :o Would it be weird for a younger person to go alone? I don't want to bug anyone at the table or anything.

Someone mentioned early in this thread they served fruitcake....may be my ploy to get my hubby to tea. He's not a tea drinker and he gave up coffee awhile back, but fruitcake, now that's a tradtion lately. He orders one out of the catalog. Surely the ship's would be better!!!!;)

It is a light fruit cake heavier than a pound cake with fruit though. It is pretty tasty,especially after scones with strawberry jam and (whipped) cream.

Is tea seated like open seating breakfast or lunch? I've wanted to go on my last two cruises, but I always ran out of time or tea was too close to early seating (5:30, yuk) so I am DETERMINED to go on my next cruise! Would it be weird for a younger person to go alone? I don't want to bug anyone at the table or anything.

You will be shown to your seat and there is nothing weird about taking tea alone if thatis what you want! You can request sharing if you like too.

I have found the standard varies between ships. The best so far was the Sapphire.

I just wanted to add in the tidbit that, for those that want to try the scones but are not that into the whole "tea thing," you can get the scones along with cream and jam at the buffet between 3pm and 4pm. Personally, I loved the whole tea experience. It was very laid back, and I really enjoyed the company and conversation. Since my DH had no interest in going, and that seemed to be a time when I could more easily grab a lounger by the pool, I only made it to tea once on my last cruise, but I stopped at the buffet for scones every day.

Michelle

When I was on the Diamond in June, I tried to get scones at the buffet but they didn't have any. I ended up going to the tea instead.

judy

I have been to several afternoon teas on Princess cruises and they are wonderful. The food is fabo and the service is great. Click below to see photos of me with friends on the Golden during a tea:

http://family.webshots.com/photo/2096361260095430378TvQoCj

Click NEXT after that photo to see a couple more photos of the tea. I highly recommending going....you will certainly enjoy it!

Archived