Land Sickness-Post Cruise

rinkyd

I had "land-sickness" on our first cruise. I don't get seasick, so didn't use any thing like patches and such. I go on a lot of whale watching ships, boats, etc. and never had this land sickness problem. I didn't know what was wrong with me! I had to keep walking, every time I stopped I felt ill. On all our subsequent cruises, I didn't have that problem at all.

Yea, exactly how I feel. How long did it last for you???

• 9 months later...

Oh my goodness, I've got this now. I feel like the whole world is a ship on a stormy sea! Struggling to stand upright, and feel a bit embarrassed in public...... ~~Arrived back on land last Thursday after 4 weeks at sea, hope this passes soon, it's very unpleasant.

• 3 years later...

I am really sorry this has happened to you all. I was really scared on our last (first) cruise because I am one that seems to "get it all" and my husband doesn't get anything. Welll he got land sickness and I didn't feel a thing but for some strange reason I have a feeling it's because I have restless leg syndrome and I am always moving and rocking so it sort of felt "normal". I know that is a weird thought but it hit me when I was on the cruise that that feeling felt "normal" to me. Wondering if anyone else ever thought of this and how other restless leggers do with land sickness?

I am one that seems to "get it all" and my husband doesn't get anything.

Yup that is me too! It seems to be getting better each day. I hope it is not a sign to come. Others have posted they have had it with some cruises and not others. And we did have really rough seas. Plus I may try to take Dramamine prior & during cruising. Maybe, maybe that will help. I have to get back on board, I just have too!:cool:

I had the same experience after my first cruise in 1998. Came back to work and remember having to brace myself along the wall sometimes as I walked.... miserable feeling! It lasted about a week or so. I had worn the patch on that cruise and wondered if taking the patch off started my problem.

After a few years with no cruises I've done a few more and haven't had the problem at all. I never used the patch again but took bonine every night and the ginger capsules twice daily. Happy to say I haven't experienced any seasickness or the post cruise vertigo. I am prone to occasional bouts of vertigo and take a bonine which seems to solve the problem.

Hope you can enjoy many more cruises!

I also suffer from this problem but not too badly. The interesting thing as my wife points out (I am not sure she really believes that I have the problem) is that you get off the ship at a port and do not have the problem. You get off the ship at home and you do. Makes no sense to me but that is the way it is.

DON

• 5 months later...
After our cruise I really had trouble with re-adjusting to the land. This was not just sea legs - I was not sick at my stomach, but had a "brain fog", like it was very difficult to concentrate, and I felt like the room was off balance. This lasted a good 5 - 7 days - I am still feeling movement at times, and especially when driving. The rest of the family was perfectly fine. I have researched and read about the "mal de debarquement syndrome", but I would really like to hear from people who have experienced this - and I don't mean just sea legs after a cruise (and please don't tell me the cure is to take another cruise:rolleyes:). If you have experienced this have you gone on another cruise?....and what did you take or do differently, so as not to have this problem again?

My family would really like to cruise again and so would I - we had a wonderful time, but I am just afraid I would go through this again! Any help would be appreciated!

My condition like this took almost 6 months to finally go away! Feel luck with only a week! I am going on anohter cruise this year, and I hope this does not happen again!! Someone suggested taking the sea-sickness pills a couple days before the cruise ends...........not sure yet what I an going to do. Like you, my husband was not bothered by this at all. It's odd, right???

My first cruise was 7 days in Mexico, and I had no trouble while on ship or after. However, on our second (a 3 day to Mexico) I was totally fine on ship, and in ports but a few hours after I got home I started feeling dizzy and had a lot of phantom movement. It was a bit disconcerting, and uncomfortable to say the least. It was worst when I was sitting still or laying down.

I think it lasted 5 or 6 days, and then faded away. It's not stopping me from taking a 7 day Alaskan cruise at the end of this month! I didn't do anything for it, I just waited for it to go away. I have had a lot of sinus/ear issues the last year and a half or so(started between cruises), and I wondered if that may have something to do with it.

Land sickness is directly related to sea sickness. It is caused by mixed messages to the brain. Your eyes tell one story (that you're not moving) and your inner ear tells another (that you are moving).

Both conditions can be magnified by ear blockage, as one poster said, by wax impaction, or by sinus problems, so the decongestant is a good OTC starting point.

Meclazine (Bonine) works to ease inner ear congestion as well, so if you took Bonine during the cruise, you may be suffering delayed symptoms from stopping too soon.

One other method, if the ears are clear, is to sit and focus hard, and concentrate on the horizon for an hour. Try clearing your ears like you do in a plane, swallowing hard, or blowing out through your nose while holding it closed.

Had this as well in February after a Freedom 6-night. We had some rough seas the last two days of heading home and we didn't get off in the last stop. Didn't get "sea sick" per say, but didn't take pills patches etc either. Lasted for about 7-10 days.

Next cruise in October will be different.

Thanks for the tip on decongestant.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

• 3 years later...

Thank you for having me. My family and I returned yesterday from a 13 night Med cruise with Royal Carribean. I need some advice as we were involved in a very serious accident whilst transferring from the ship across a gangplank and onto a tender boat. We were all nearly thrown off the gangplank into the water and drowned. I had to have a tetanus injection and ended up on antibiotics for the whole of the rest of the cruise and my 9 year old daughter is still on antibiotics. My 10 year old boy has cerebral palsy and was thrown out of his wheelchair as a mini tsunami tipped the tender boat and the gangplank. Any advice on who we make our comments to at RC ? Thanks.

Thank you for having me. My family and I returned yesterday from a 13 night Med cruise with Royal Carribean. I need some advice as we were involved in a very serious accident whilst transferring from the ship across a gangplank and onto a tender boat. We were all nearly thrown off the gangplank into the water and drowned. I had to have a tetanus injection and ended up on antibiotics for the whole of the rest of the cruise and my 9 year old daughter is still on antibiotics. My 10 year old boy has cerebral palsy and was thrown out of his wheelchair as a mini tsunami tipped the tender boat and the gangplank. Any advice on who we make our comments to at RC ? Thanks.

Start here:

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUsOnline.do

After our last Allure cruise coming home from the western route with rough seas, we noticed the "sea Legs' wobbling for 5 days.

More profound when taking a shower, do not know why.

By Friday of that week back to normal..

Safe travels.

After our last Allure cruise coming home from the western route with rough seas, we noticed the "sea Legs' wobbling for 5 days.

More profound when taking a shower, do not know why.

By Friday of that week back to normal..

Safe travels.

Small, enclosed space = you notice the swaying more. Large areas, not so much.