Seasick

Tucruisers

I have heard that the sailing from Copenhagen to Norway is rough. We are travelling that way at the end of July on the Fjords cruise on Pride. We are not great sailors so do we need to be concerned? We got a suite in the middle of the ship low down not (just) because of price but also because the motion of the ocean might be less. Any experiences gratefully received.

Well you picked the right part of the ship -- that is where we usually stay(this upcoming trip suite 119 RT Copenhagen). I find that for minor seasickness the seabands work for us. The ship always has ginger around when they encounter rough seas. Worse comes to worse you can always see the ship's doctor for a shot.

The one time that I got sea sick in all of our sailings was on a sailing on the Pride from Copenhagen to London that included Norway. I had been in rougher seas but for whatever reason the type of swaying of the ship really got to me.

Yes, it's great that you are mid ship.

Each person is different in terms of what remedies work best for them. My mistake was that I took Bonine but I took it after I became a bit sea sick so initially it made me feel worse and really knocked me out. Since that time, if the Captain says we will be in rough seas then I will take the Bonine right away and by doing so I have not have any problems with being sea sick even though I have sailed in seas more rough than this one.

So, if you have concerns about the seas then I would thiink through what remedy will be best for you. Certainly there is Bonine or other similar products, or the Patch that is prescribed by a doctor or other remedies such as Ginger.

Keith

When we get the first hint of rough seas - normally an advance announcement from the crew -, we use those behind the ear patches good for a couple of days. Scopolamine. Works great.

As a nurse practitioner, I cautioned my patients who wanted to use the patch to try it at home first. Some cruisers have unpleasant reactions to the drug. After all, it's what made pregnant women in labor climb the walls in the 50's & 60's. It's pretty long acting, but can be very effective.

Archived