Chilkhoot tours? Which one?

LadyBerard

Confused. Which do I take and what does each cost? Carcross Rail and Bus or Yukon Rail and Bus? I would like to see Emerald lake and go see the puppies. I wanted to book with Dyea Dave, but was informed he's already all booked up. :(

We've signed up with Chilkoot Charter & Tours for the 7.5 hour "Yukon Bus and Rail" excursion. We're taking Chilkoot's small bus/big van up (leaves at 8:30) and will stop at Emerald Lake and Caribou Crossing for lunch, puppy camp etc., and then board the train for the return to Skagway.

When are you doing this excursion? This is the one I thought about for my next year's cruise. Our ship docks at 7:00AM and leaves at 5:00PM. I really don't want to be pushed for time, and my husband is uneasy about booking excursions not from the ship.

I did the 7.5 in May with Chillkoot. I used to be afarid to book off the cruise as well but everything was fine. There is really only the one road so even if you have bus troubles another bus would have to pass by. The saving was 25 pp I think. Plus most boat tours do NOT go to Emerald Lake. That was good enough reason for me to go off the boat. I would do the 7.5 hour tour. It was great!

You won't be pushed for time. We got off the ship as soon as passengers were allowed to leave at 7:00 and met the tour guide at the end of the pier. At the end of the tour he will let you off either downtown or at the pier. We chose town and after shopping a little and walking back to the ship we sill had time to sit in the hot tub before sail away.

Don't be afraid of a tour that gets rave reviews on CC. If they didn't do a great job, or if they ever missed getting passengers back in time, the word would spread. For these guys, reputation is everything.

For the 9hour excursion, there's about 4 1/2 hours on the train (between Skagway and Carcross). I understand it's about 1 1/2 hours (between Skagway and Fraser) for the others . The remainder is by bus.

Does anyone know whether the railway is back on track between Fraser and Carcross? I saw the press releases and posts back in May that the tracks had washed out. But I haven't seen any updates on whether they're running again. I still have a month and a half until our cruise. But the train is going to be a highlight of the trip so I'm getting nervous.

BTW, the Chilkoot 7.5 hour bus/train is $175/person, but it does include lunch. We'll be going to the puppy-camp though they'll probably be fairly leggy by that time but hey, pups are great to pat at any age. We're not taking the dog-cart run, so there is no additional charge for that.

You won't be sorry. We did the 7 1/2 hour excursion. I would do the train first. This time we did the Yukon trip in a rental car. That is a good option. The road is not heavily traveled and is in good shape. Download Murray's guide and it is a snap!

Archived