Where in the Caribbean would you not want to go?

hayesktrm

We have taken several Bahamas/Caribbean cruises and we are about to take an Eastern Caribbean cruise leaving this weekend. I always like to plan next year's vacation before the vacation ends so it's not so depressing. There are still many ports we haven't gone to, so I was wondering what ports would you not like to go to (whether not interesting, political unrest, feeling unsafe,etc.).

I did not enjoy Martinique. The cabbies were rude, the shop keepers did not seem to care about our business.

We enjoy going to the Caribbean and enjoy them all.

If we had to pick one it would be Ocho Rios just because of the aggravation of dealing with the sometimes aggressive locals but we deal with it (don't take our eye of the ball) and not let it dampen our time in paradise.

BTW...It's on the itinerary this cruise:D

What about Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay? I saw that the Liberty goes there plus San Juan and St. Thomas.

I just got back from the Liberty on 7/11. The cruise was great and I loved Half Moon Cay (my favorite stop).:)

My DH & 5 others went to Jamaica years ago for a land vacation. We absolutley loved it. It is a very poor country but like anywhere else the people for the most part were very friendly. Both my DH & I want to go back within the next couple of years.

Well for me, it is Freeport...

My favorite right now is San Juan, because I love to shop!!

I am going to Jamaica in October... **crossing fingers** that everything will be okay.... This will probably be my only time going there...

I have to agree. Freeport was terrible. NOTHING to do. If you are unfortunate enough to stop here make it a beach day

Myacuna-

We are in the same boat!! (no pun intended!) My only experience in the Caribbean is when DH and I were married in Jamaica, 10 years ago!! I loved every little thing about that trip and we will be adding to our Caribbean experience in just a few short days!! :D

I dont think there is a place that I wouldnt love to go see!! Where I live is beautiful in itself, but it doesnt come close to being in the Caribbean!!

You never got off the ship, did you.. :cool:

IMG_5061.JPG

And never made it to Maracas Bay?

IMG_5081.JPG

Maracas_East.jpg

Don't judge a country by its ugly Port!

We were told that maybe we shouldn't even bother getting off the ship at Tunis.

Booked a ship's tour and went to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, anyway.

Turned out to be one of the best stops of our Western Med. cruise!

SO glad we didn't stay on board.

Btw...La Goulette is an ugly-as-hell Port

- just like every other one I ever saw! :D

Oh, don't get me wrong. Trinidad is beautiful! From the Pitch Lake to Maracas bay to the old Victorian houses in Port Of Spain, the place is truly a paradise. However, the crime situation overshadows all of that, IMO. As a tourist, I would like being safe when enjoying such beauty as found in T&T. I felt safer in Tobago. We got a private tour of Little Tobago and Goat Island (James Bond's house!)

However, the crime situation overshadows all of that, IMO.

Were you mugged or robbed while you were there?

Or was someone on your ship mugged?

What's all this talk of a dire 'crime situation'?

Did you see men with guns in the street?

..drive-by shootings right by the pier?

What?

Something happened to you. Tell us.

Aplmac, BEAUTIFUL pictures! Anyhow, Grand Turk didn't thrill me. The beach was dirty, (saw a mop in the sand) and if it weren't for Margaritaville it would be nothing there. I didn't hate it, but I'm OK if I don't return.

I guess I should clarify... I don't think there are ANY ports I would absolutely refuse. Key West and Nassau just don't interest me. But I'm happy to stay on the ship or find *something* to do there.

Whoever gave me the Dry Tortuga tip... thanks, I will check it out!!!

I think my 2 favs have been Cartagena & Roatan. My DD and I love Catagena so much we plan on going back to stay for a week

Felt the same way about roatan the people were so nice there.

Belize the vender outside of the gate were pretty pushy. But we just said no The caves were great the walk in the jungle was pretty nice.

Loved Costa Rica,Jamaica we were really worried about But again it was great we did dunn river falls thats a must do..went river tubing, a little shopping. and a beach stop we were never brothered.

Have docked in Coz but we didnt see it we were off to tulum.

Aruba didnt really do anything for me but we were only there a few hours

so just hopped on a bus and did the beach.

Loved 7 mile beach in caymens and of course stingray city.

Something my DD and i both love to do is walk around and see things

Always feel safe.

The only place we didnt do that at was panama we were not allowed to

and even had we been able to we wouldn't have.

Aplmac,

Dunno what happened to that member or what port he was referring to, but I have to add the only port we've seen civilians in the streets carrying guns was Ocho Rios. Our private guide took us through a few seedy areas where locals were toting AK47s. For us it was all part of the experience and we didn't feel any less safe than any other port. If we had ventured in to those areas on our own, I'd have been looking for the way out or the gun store myself. :D As it was, we knew in advance what we'd be seeing and knew why the men would be armed; our guide did an excellent job of keeping us informed and educating us about his country and culture.

We have since returned to Ocho Rios and used the same private guide. Our recent tours skipped those areas; been there and done that. ;)

All things considered, Miami is likely the most dangerous port city we've ever visited and we've been there multiple times and will be returning again in the near future. :)

Were you mugged or robbed while you were there?

Or was someone on your ship mugged?

What's all this talk of a dire 'crime situation'?

..drive-by shootings right by the pier?

What?

Something happened to you. Tell us.

Hi, yes a member of our group did get mugged. When we completed the tour, we went back to Port Of Spain and were walking around. A couple in our group wandered away. On their way back to the ship, the lady was approached by a guy who asked her for her purse and took the chain off of her neck...

Like I said before, it's a beautiful island, but the crime situation is a bit iffy. Please know that I'm not picking on the island just to be mean, but I'm just warning potential visitors of the country's reputation.

http://www.eturbonews.com/9889/trinidad-tobago-now-murder-capital-caribbean

All things considered, Miami is likely the most dangerous port city we've ever visited and we've been there multiple times and will be returning again in the near future. :)

I've got you beat there -- Baltimore. Efficient port, but if you're not hitting it off the highway, you can see why Homicide and The Wire were written about it.

I can honestly say I haven't felt unsafe in any place I've cruised, even cutting through some backstreets and neighborhoods in shady sections of Nassua and San Juan. Then again, I live next door to "Sarajevo by the Sea" and have slept on the street in some pretty scary places for concert tickets.

IMHO, Worth the visit:

San Juan - kinda blah, but cheap RUM

St. Thomas - dirty, but beautiful beaches

St. Maarten - Do not miss Maho Beach, beautiful country(s), and yes, check out Orient Beach regardless of what your better half says....

St. Lucia - absolutely beautiful and worth the zig zag, up n' down tour

St. Kitts - Beautiful beaches, better than staying on the ship

Grand Cayman - very clean, beautiful, a must see including Sting Ray City

Jamaica (Ocho Rios) - beautiful if you research the right private guide

Key West - Party Party, but you must see the Sun set!

Cozumel - something for everyone

Roatan - very unique crafts (not made in China) you won't find anywhere else, and it will be better when developed

Belize - Beautiful, something for everyone

Panama - lots of history, plus one big honkin set of locks

Costa Rica - Beautiful rain forest, gorgeous coastline

Nassau - Ya have to visit at least once, to see how ridiculous Atlantis is

Barbados - Yep, educational

Aruba - beautiful beaches

Curacao - very pretty town

Tortola - amazingly beautiful

IMHO Not worth the visit

Costa Maya - Crap

Kingston Jamaica - nope..... not safe, dirty

Still way more to see..... so many places to go, not enough time, not enough money, not enough credit.....

I hear Alaska is beautiful, but I don't want to wear a sweater all week....at least not for another 20 years or so.....

You have to do the research yourself and see what 'turns your crank'...

Good Luck!

Archived