Just curious

Cruisearcher

It depends. The US Coast Guard does not do evac's unless it's an extreme emergency. The USCG's costs are paid for by our US tax dollars and they do not charge US passengers. Probably would be different for non-US citizens. I read on the USCG's site that a regular helicopter runs $6,000 an hour while a larger chopper runs $12,000 per hour.

For emergency evac's what usually happens is they take you off the ship in the next port of call and then you're flown to a hospital. Like I said, it's only in extreme emergencies that they'll call in a helicopter. Evac's via helicopters are very rare as they are very difficult and dangerous.

For these things to be covered, your insurance must have separate coverage for emergency evacuations.

Cruisearcher, you medical evacuation insurance should be at least US$50,000. Coverage of $100,000 or more is better.

As a Canadian, the popular out of country medical insurance by the national auto club is very limited. If it is not deemed to be a medical emergency, coverage is only $5,000. Even in a medical emergency, you need "original receipts from commercial organizations", which doesn't describe the Coast Guard.

I always buy cruise specific insurance in addition to top up my out of country medical insurance.

Just in case I having a heart attack and still alive while sailing, will I be transport to the hospital on the next port, arrange my own flight home or the ship will keep me until the last disembark port.

I do not believe the ship will keep you for the whole cruise. They will get you off asap at the next port to a hospital. Which is where you would belong.

I would also guess if you were stable enough to fly, and needed immediate hospital attention, they would call in a helicopter to get you off faster. It depends on how far out to sea you are from land, how rough the seas and winds are. That helicopter has to land on the bow of the ship and it is a small area when you think about it. It is done and done safely. I am glad it is not me. :eek:

But, none of us will need that. ;)

Just in case I having a heart attack and still alive while sailing, will I be transport to the hospital on the next port, arrange my own flight home or the ship will keep me until the last disembark port.

If you have a life threatening medical problem, you will probably be evacuated. The ship has a medical staff but their capabilities are similar to what a family practitioner can do. The evacuation method depends on how critical it is. If there is time they will take you off at the next port. If not they can call the US Coast Guard for an evacuation if they are near a facility. The Coast Guard does not charge.

Case in point: I was on a small commercial sailing ship and we stopped at an Bahamian island near Bimini. I don't remember the island name but it was not inhabited. We were going to have a beach party. While preparing one of our men fell and managed to shove a good sized stick through his neck. The captain called for US Coast Guard assistance and they sent a helicopter who picked him up and took him to Miami for medical treatment.

Once they drop you at a medical facility on land, it is up to you to get home at your expense as well as pay for any medical costs.

I (being a Canadian citizen) would like to know in case of emergency, let say needed Coast Guide to transport from cruise ship back to the land and hospital, are those costs covered by the travel insurance?

It's always a good idea to purchase insurance that incluedes medical evacuation just in case. Most policies from reputable companies will have it in their policy anyway.

As a fellow Canadian and cruiser, we always book through RBC insurance...great coverage, prices are reasonable, and the one big draw is they pay UPFRONT. You do not pay your bills and then wait to be reimbursed...

Might want to look into it!

If you required emergency medical evacuation from the ship, they will call in whatever transport is closest and available. It might or might not be a helicopter, could be a boat, and it might or might not be the CG . Depends on where you are located- the USCG limits its coverage to certain nautical limits around the US and its territories. It would not normally fly to St Kitts for example. And there are limited numbers of helicopters that can actually flly patients, so the chances are it would be some other air transport, like a commercial life flight company, or possibly a city or state flight ambulance. And it doesn't matter if you are a US citizen or not- the USCG could bill anyone if they deemed it was not within the scope of their mission as a government agency. The US military will bill anyone , or their insurance , who is not a legal beneficiary ( Active duty, their family, and retirees) for emergency medical services such as ambulances, emergency room visits etc.

Most of the ships now have medical areas that are equivalent to a minor Emergency Room,and are aimed at stabilizing and holding you until they can transport you. Some are better than others. The doctors are trained in emergency procedures , especially things that would be standard on the ship ( heart attack, stroke, breathing issues, fractured bones) and are often Emergency Medicine board certified physicians. I knew one who was a Trauma Surgeon from a major trauma center in the US. He did two months every summer as the ship doctor as a vacation from his "real job" ;)

Archived