What is your Relaxation Ritual?

BroncosFan2010

When I cruise, I get excited. It might take me a few days to relax. I am a very high strung person, and I have to be DOING something all the time. However, my wonderful husband is very laid back, and is content to just lay by the pool the first day on the ship.

So, I want to know what your relaxation rituals are for getting into vacation mode. After the flurry of packing, traveling, airports, and taxi drivers, how to you finally settle into cruising mode and relax!

(I know a few drinks help, but I am looking for a bit more than running to the nearest bar.)

At the pool, all day long. I have never been to or done a ship activity. Just hang at the pool. I am a go, go, go person as well, but when I get near the ocean, forget it. I can just sit and stare all day long. DH, on the other hand, can not stand to sit still all day long, He gets up and walks all over the ship and then comes back to check on me. LOL

At the pool, all day long. I have never been to or done a ship activity. Just hang at the pool. I am a go, go, go person as well, but when I get near the ocean, forget it. I can just sit and stare all day long. DH, on the other hand, can not stand to sit still all day long, He gets up and walks all over the ship and then comes back to check on me. LOL

I can relate to your husband. I get anxious sitting for too long. I end up pacing, and poor DH feels he needs to be right there with me.

As soon as we get to our cabin, DH empties his pockets into the safe - wallet, keys, pager, cell phone, passport, everything. Then he goes and sits out on our balcony -- and the weight of the world melts off his shoulders.

We leave on Sunday for our 7 day cruise. So start our vacation nice and relaxed, we booked a 90 minute massage on Saturday night. That way after stressing out about packing, animals, etc we should be feeling great.

We leave on Sunday for our 7 day cruise. So start our vacation nice and relaxed, we booked a 90 minute massage on Saturday night. That way after stressing out about packing, animals, etc we should be feeling great.

Ohhh! Sounds wonderful. DH won't go for the couples massage. He won't let anyone (but me) touch him! :D

We always fly in a day early. Once that plane lands, and we're checked into our hotel - it's pure relax time!

We never make any definite plans for the day we arrive, (other than going to the store and buying drinks and water to bring on the ship)

We just all casually stroll around, have a drink, sit by the hotel pool, and look forward to the next day.

It gives us a chance to get into "relax mode" after the mad rush at work, packing and getting o the airport.

Happy Cruising!

Kim

Most ships have yoga. Our last cruise had tai chi also. An hour of either will bring you way down. If you've not done these before, they not only relieve stress, but leave you sharper. I know that sounds weird, but you end up more focused on the here and now. So all the travel stuff is out of your mind. :D

Most ships have yoga. Our last cruise had tai chi also. An hour of either will bring you way down. If you've not done these before, they not only relieve stress, but leave you sharper. I know that sounds weird, but you end up more focused on the here and now. So all the travel stuff is out of your mind. :D

Great idea! I always do yoga at home, but taking a class on the ship has always slipped my mind.

Wife normally gets comfy in the room and unpacks then sits on the balcony watching the world go by. After unpacking I normally go off scouting the ship looking for where everything is and what there is to do. That normally gets my exercise in for the day with all the walking <G>. Then come back and relax with my Honey and tell her what I have found while sitting on the balcony... :)

Great idea! I always do yoga at home, but taking a class on the ship has always slipped my mind.

On our last cruise, it was a great bargain! Pacific Princess is very small. My DW and I signed for up for all classes at $60 per person. In the 14 days, we did yoga 5 times and tai chi 5 times. Yoga was just the 2 of us in the class, and tai chi was 1 other couple. :D

On our last cruise, it was a great bargain! Pacific Princess is very small. My DW and I signed for up for all classes at $60 per person. In the 14 days, we did yoga 5 times and tai chi 5 times. Yoga was just the 2 of us in the class, and tai chi was 1 other couple. :D

Sounds great! Do you know if it is possible to just pay per class (and how much)? I don't see myself going more than once or twice, but who knows, I may get addicted.

Sounds great! Do you know if it is possible to just pay per class (and how much)? I don't see myself going more than once or twice, but who knows, I may get addicted.

On Princess, they have an all-class option on the first day. Otherwise, you can pay as you go. However, yoga classes do fill up on larger ships. If nothing else, it's good to drop by the gym during embarkation and make reservations for yoga on sea days.

On Princess, they have an all-class option on the first day. Otherwise, you can pay as you go. However, yoga classes do fill up on larger ships. If nothing else, it's good to drop by the gym during embarkation and make reservations for yoga on sea days.

Thanks!

I will definitely be checking that out.

I listen to cruising music on my Ipod while waiting to board the ship. Once I'm on I do grab a celabratory drink then I go to my cabin & see if it's ready put ALL of the distracting electronic gadgets away like cell phone and anything else. I take a walk around the ship to familarize myself with the ship & plan my days activites after the muster drill.

I listen to cruising music on my Ipod while waiting to board the ship. Once I'm on I do grab a celabratory drink then I go to my cabin & see if it's ready put ALL of the distracting electronic gadgets away like cell phone and anything else. I take a walk around the ship to familarize myself with the ship & plan my days activites after the muster drill.

I have a cruise playlist on my iPod. I love to listen to it while sitting out on the balcony watching the ocean.

DH and I work totally opposite schedules so the only time ALL YEAR that we have off work together is when we take this vacation. Therefore, we make it a nice long one. So we start off relaxing 3 days in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise. By the time the cruise comes around we are completely relaxed and ready to go. Once we get on board we check out the ship, grab a drink and people watch by the pool area until muster drill.

Sandy

• 3 months later...
DH and I work totally opposite schedules so the only time ALL YEAR that we have off work together is when we take this vacation. Therefore, we make it a nice long one. So we start off relaxing 3 days in Fort Lauderdale before our cruise. By the time the cruise comes around we are completely relaxed and ready to go. Once we get on board we check out the ship, grab a drink and people watch by the pool area until muster drill.

Sandy

I like the idea of having lots of time to relax before getting on the ship. I always feel so rushed the day before getting on the ship. Perhaps this cruise will be a little better. We are flying in EARLY the day before, so I will have an extra day to relax!

Use the energy and excitement to your advantage. Once on board (if you cant get to your cabin first ) then wander, search the areas of the ship and familiarize yourself. That way when you know later in the week that if you want to go to "tea", you will know where it is and the best way to get there. There's nothing wrong with exploration...and then when you get tired of discovery, unpack, put all the daily modern life necessities in the safe,(releasing your self from the shackles of every day responsabilities) grab a chair with a view, either on a balcony or on deck, turn your face to the sea, your back to humanity, breathe in, one two three, hold it, breathe out, one two three, and smile, make it a bigger smile, and turn to your spouse, and say thank you. oh and curl your toes a few times. Be prepared to taken care of, instead of the one taking care of things.

Be prepared to let go of controlling things. Research what your ship offers during the day, and choose what you want to do in advance, then delete these off your wish list. Just seeing the sea makes me relax.

Use the energy and excitement to your advantage. Once on board (if you cant get to your cabin first ) then wander, search the areas of the ship and familiarize yourself. That way when you know later in the week that if you want to go to "tea", you will know where it is and the best way to get there. There's nothing wrong with exploration...and then when you get tired of discovery, unpack, put all the daily modern life necessities in the safe,(releasing your self from the shackles of every day responsabilities) grab a chair with a view, either on a balcony or on deck, turn your face to the sea, your back to humanity, breathe in, one two three, hold it, breathe out, one two three, and smile, make it a bigger smile, and turn to your spouse, and say thank you. oh and curl your toes a few times. Be prepared to taken care of, instead of the one taking care of things.

Be prepared to let go of controlling things. Research what your ship offers during the day, and choose what you want to do in advance, then delete these off your wish list. Just seeing the sea makes me relax.

There will be much more time for relaxation on this next cruise because the need for discovery will be less. Because we will be doing a B2B, the need to cram as much as possible into a week will be less... I will have 2 weeks! It will be my 2nd time on this ship... and it is my favorite!! Thanks for the advice!

Archived