evening clothes on quest?

Penny & David

Hi, we are brits and have never sailded on azamara before although we have been with celebrrity before. Does my husband need to bring a blazer/sports jacket and will I be ok with nice linen pants and tops for the evening. I am also thinking of taking some nice summer dresses. We do not want to "underdress" Any advice much appreciated.

Your husband doesn't need to bring a blazer, but should if he wants to. You'll be just fine with linen pants, tops, and dresses. You will not be underdressed. Have a great cruise.

Hi, we are brits and have never sailded on azamara before although we have been with celebrrity before. Does my husband need to bring a blazer/sports jacket and will I be ok with nice linen pants and tops for the evening. I am also thinking of taking some nice summer dresses. We do not want to "underdress" Any advice much appreciated.

Penny

David does not need a jacket though Charles is bringing one because he likes to - probably to use at the Speciality restaurants.

You are spot on in what you are planning - I will have some dresses and trousers and tops

Nice to be thinking about packing now - it really is getting closer

Ann

No one probably takes more than us :) Thats why we fly Club Europe - that and the fact we keep watching to hit the good deal for the fares as we did again this time.

We do take up any laundry offers so we bring back some clean clothes rather than a massive pile of washing

Packing is nice as it reminds me in the crazy weeks before hand that I am getting a holiday soon. It all starts with the lists - and this weekend is the list weekend :)

What is the onboard dress codes?

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, shorts, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, due to the recommended attire for Azamara, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Example of Resort Casual Attire:

Women:

• Sportswear, casual dresses, skirts, pants.

• Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Men:

• Sportswear, golf shirts, pants, sportcoat (if desired, but not required)

• Light fabrics such as linen, cotton, silk and wool gabardine.

Are onboard laundry services available?

Subject: Ship and Stateroom Details

Self-service laundry facilities are available onboard both Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest on Deck 7 (mid-ship) at a charge of $2 per load for the washer and $2 per load for the dryer. In addition, laundry and dry-cleaning services are available at the rates listed below:

Regular Service - Next Day

Picked up before 9:00 a.m., returned Next Day

Same Day Service - Add 50% Express Service Surcharge

Picked up before 9:00 a.m., returned Same Day

Laundry Services

Ladies Gentlemen

Dress $5.50 Trousers $3.75

Skirt $2.75 Shorts $2.50

Slacks $3.25 Sport Shirt $2.75

Blouse $3.25 Regular Shirt $2.75

Blazer $4.25 Formal Shirt $3.50

Sweater $2.75 Under Shirt $1.00

Pajamas $3.25 Under Shorts $1.00

Night Gown $3.25 T-Shirt $2.25

Slip $1.50 Pajamas $3.50

Brassiere $1.50 Handkerchief $0.75

Panties $1.00 Sweater $2.75

Hosiery $1.00 Socks $1.00

Handkerchief $0.75 Sweatshirt $2.50

Bathing Suit $1.75 Bathing Suit $1.75

Sports Shirt $2.75

Shorts $2.50

Socks $1.00

Sweatshirt $2.50

Dry-Cleaning Services

Ladies Gentlemen

Suit $7.00 Suit $7.00

Dress $6.00 Sport Jacket $5.50

Slacks $3.25 Sport Shirt $2.75

Skirt $4.50 Tuxedo Jacket $6.00

Blouse $3.75 Vest $3.50

Blazer $5.00 Shirt $3.50

Slacks $4.50 Trousers $4.00

Evening Gown $7.50 Tie $2.00

Silk Blouse $5.50 Sweater $3.50

Scarf $1.50

Pressing Services

Ladies Gentlemen

Suit $3.50 Suit $3.50

Blazer $2.50 Sport Jacket $2.50

Slacks $2.25 Tuxedo Jacket $3.00

Skirt $2.50 Trousers $2.25

Blouse $2.25 Sport Shirt $1.50

Shirt $1.75 Regular Shirt $2.00

Dress $3.75 Formal Shirt $2.50

Evening Gown $4.50 Vest $1.75

Silk Blouse $2.75

• Special articles of apparel such as silks, flannel trousers, woolens and other items which are difficult to clean are accepted for laundering only at owner's risk

• Items marked "DRY CLEAN ONLY," should NOT be laundered

• In case of loss or damage, liability is limited to ten times the prices charges for laundry/pressing of said article. Not responsible for shrinkage, fastness of colors, zippers, buttons and ornaments, or ordinary wear and tear in pressing, or anything left in pockets of garments

• All prices are in US. Dollars and are subject to change without further notice.

I recently went on thew Journey. I was also confused prior to sailing about what to wear. A nice person said think Chicos and Coldwater Creek. They were right on. Leave fancy stuff home. My husband didn't bring a tie or jacket. He was fine. There were only a few men who wore a jacket or tie...and they really looked out of place.

If I were doing it again, I'd bring less clothes and use the laundry. It was very convenient and not expensive. I also sent some laundry out...stuff that I didn't want to iron. If you are a Captain Club member, you will get coupons for free laundry service. If you do plan on using the self serve laundry, bring dryer sheets. Soap is provided.....and my butler even helped me carry the clothes from/to the cabin and laundry room.

I recently went on thew Journey. I was also confused prior to sailing about what to wear. A nice person said think Chicos and Coldwater Creek. They were right on. Leave fancy stuff home. My husband didn't bring a tie or jacket. He was fine. There were only a few men who wore a jacket or tie...and they really looked out of place.

We are about to take our third Azamara cruise. My husband plans to take his blazer again because he like to wear it sometimes. I don't think men with blazers or jackets on Azamara look "out of place." I think they look nice, and well-dressed. It's certainly not the only way for a man to dress appropriately, but it's one of the ways.

Lisa

I disagree totally. Men in blazers and jackets look smartly dressed. One night in Prime C, there were two couples in full evening dress (men in dinner jackets and ladies in elegant cocktail dresses) who looked fabulous.

Individual choice within a suggested dress code is a wonderful thing. It can make lots of people happy. No need to fault people for looking really great.

Jeans would be out of place.:)

Wow, I really started something with my question. Thanks loop for all the laundry charges, you are very well informed.

I also think men look good in jackets and suits but I think my husband will probably not take one as we are only travelling economy and don't have a huge luggage allowance. From the USA to europe you get a larger allowance even in economy. I usally now load my hand luggage with shoes to help!

I recently went on thew Journey... If you are a Captain Club member, you will get coupons for free laundry service....
We are Captain's Club Elite and were on the Journey 30 June - 12 July 09. Celebrity has announced some free laundry with their enhanced Capatain's Club, but AZ had not yet implemented anything [but AZ implies that they will be implementing a program similiar to X]. We got a "Captain's Club Elite Member Premium Offer $10 off Laundry Services" coupon, but if Journey as of this month had free laundry I didn't see it.

Dining Areas Dress Code

Dining Rooms Specialty Restaurants No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Resort Deck Cafe No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

Got this off the Guest Conduct page on Azamara. Sounds even more casual than I thought from reading this board. Says nothing about collared shirts for men or no jeans for anyone much less jackets and ties. What gives?

Lori

Found this after more searching....

Evening Attire

There are no formal nights aboard Azamara; therefore, your evening attire aboard Azamara is up to your mood. The dressiest that you ever have to be is resort casual – even in our specialty restaurants. This would entail khaki slacks and polo-style shirts for men and perhaps a casual skirt or pants for women with a comfortable blouse.

Dining in jeans, t-shirts, shorts, tank tops or swimsuits detracts from the overall ambience and is therefore not allowed in the main dining room after 6:00 pm.

That answers my question....

Sorry,

Lori:rolleyes:

We are Captain's Club Elite and were on the Journey 30 June - 12 July 09. Celebrity has announced some free laundry with their enhanced Capatain's Club, but AZ had not yet implemented anything [but AZ implies that they will be implementing a program similiar to X]. We got a "Captain's Club Elite Member Premium Offer $10 off Laundry Services" coupon, but if Journey as of this month had free laundry I didn't see it.

We are CC Elite as well and on both Journey (December) and Quest (May) each received a $10 coupon for free laundry. It wasn't "spend $X and get $10 off," but $10 free laundry.

My husband brought a blazer and tie. It came in handy when we were invited to dine with the Captain.:) I think he also wore it to a wine pairing dinner in Prime C one night.

We are CC Elite as well and on both Journey (December) and Quest (May) each received a $10 coupon for free laundry. It wasn't "spend $X and get $10 off," but $10 free laundry.quote]OOPS - sounds like I made a mistake [sorry]. Like I said I didn't see it, but that was apparently because I didn't read the coupon properly.

Thom

I have one question for clarification and one request for opinions that I really hope will not turn hostile.

As far as the $10 laundry coupon-- would that be available to Select CC members, all CC members, or just Elite members?

Secondly, it looked like there was some conflicting information as to whether or not shorts are ever allowed in the dining room. Do people wear them for breakfast/lunch? Are people offended by the showing of knee/calf before 6pm in the dining room? Also, what about men's sandals (for breakfast and maybe lunch)? I ask not to provoke people but because we are young Californians who are always willing to dress smartly (we will be amongst the people who occasionally wear a jacket and tie, just because it looks sharp) and don't want to offend people, but who strongly prefer dressing casual early on in the day.

I have one question for clarification and one request for opinions that I really hope will not turn hostile.

As far as the $10 laundry coupon-- would that be available to Select CC members, all CC members, or just Elite members?

Secondly, it looked like there was some conflicting information as to whether or not shorts are ever allowed in the dining room. Do people wear them for breakfast/lunch? Are people offended by the showing of knee/calf before 6pm in the dining room? Also, what about men's sandals (for breakfast and maybe lunch)? I ask not to provoke people but because we are young Californians who are always willing to dress smartly (we will be amongst the people who occasionally wear a jacket and tie, just because it looks sharp) and don't want to offend people, but who strongly prefer dressing casual early on in the day.

The $10 coupon was (as far as I know) only available to Elite passengers. I don't know if Select got a lesser amount or nothing at all.

Shorts are fine in the dining room for breakfast and lunch, as are men's sandals. Some people will no doubt be offended by that choice of attire, but, since you aren't breaking any rules, they would be well advised not to challenge you.:)

I would say shorts and sandals are fine in the dining areas for breakfast and lunch - we're on holiday and that is correct sightseeing clothes in hot climates. It's what you would wear in a good 5* hotel. Age doesn't come into it! Personally I do not like to see women in swimwear with sarongs over when they are dining and I don't think this owuld be acceptable on the ship as it isn't on other celebrity ships.

My husband has always taken a jacket on our cruises but this time will not as we only have a meagre luggage allowance with BA.

I actually like the formal nights and will miss the tuxedo's and evening gowns.

I would say shorts and sandals are fine in the dining areas for breakfast and lunch - we're on holiday and that is correct sightseeing clothes in hot climates. It's what you would wear in a good 5* hotel. Age doesn't come into it! Personally I do not like to see women in swimwear with sarongs over when they are dining and I don't think this would be acceptable on the ship as it isn't on other celebrity ships.

My husband has always taken a jacket on our cruises but this time will not as we only have a meagre luggage allowance with BA.

I actually like the formal nights and will miss the tuxedo's and evening gowns.

If I can add my 2 cents...

I guess dress code greatly depends on time of year and destination.

When we were on the Quest last February in Asia, many people dressed up for dinner. There were two non-official formal nights - the Captains' welcome night, and the Past Passenger Cocktail night. Many people wore formal attires - we saw men in suits, a few in tuxes, and women wearing long gowns and dressy outfits.

So if dressing up is part of your cruise enjoyment, don't spoil your fun and bring one outfit, you'll have a few occasion to wear it.

Both time we dined in the Specialty restaurants, again, people wore dressier outfits.

So I think if you don't want to dress up, you're OK, but if you wish to do so, you will never look out of place, and that goes for men or women!!

MC

Dining Areas Dress Code

Dining Rooms Specialty Restaurants No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Resort Deck Cafe No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner.

Got this off the Guest Conduct page on Azamara. Sounds even more casual than I thought from reading this board. Says nothing about collared shirts for men or no jeans for anyone much less jackets and ties. What gives?

Lori

I agree that is what is stated on the Guest Conduct page, but if you look under "Dress Code" at http://www.azamaracruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000dR8GzYjt0wNhiMLMj7XRGmy:12odmems6?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers:

Appropriate attire onboard Azamara Cruises is always resort casual; there aren't any scheduled formal nights. However, guests should always feel comfortable in wearing formal attire if they so desire. No bare feet, tank tops, ball caps, bathing suits, shorts, or jeans are allowed in the dining room or specialty restaurants. Additionally, due to the recommended attire for Azamara, no tuxedo rentals will be available onboard.

Note that this is a blanket statement that applies to all meals in the Dining Room [it is not the policy for the Cafe]. Is does not say "suggested", it says flatly not allowed. I am not the dress police and I often wear shorts to breakfast and lunch on most warm wether ships. My only Azamara cruise was the Journey in the Baltic, and with the weather there hardly any shorts worn at anytime, so shorts in the MDR was moot. Frankly a no shorts policy seems to me to be over the top in warm weather ports, but that is what they say. Given that Azamara gives different dress rules in different locations I have no idea what the enforcement would be.

Thom

Thanks everyone. We are less worried about breaking ambiguous unenforced rules and more concerned with not upsetting fellow passengers within reason. It seems from the small sample on this thread that people are unlikely to become hysterical on az (please let me know if you feel otherwise). Perhaps I should poll my roll call ;). For our Cunard cruise to the Caribbean, the elegant dining room policy required a lot of thought on port days.

I don't know how to feel about the new dress code info. First we mourned the lack of formal nights, then we got excited about not needing a full garment bag before concluding we would take it anyway for more casual dresses and jackets (etc etc) butnow it looks like tuxedos are back in the equation. DH hates to be outdressed but also hates what a transatlantic flight in a garmet bag does to his tuxedo. Do any of you lifetime cruisers and snazzy dressers havetuxedo transport tips?

JennAngel9,

Just a suggestion: your husband should leave the tuxedo at home. He will not be "outdressed". A blazer will be more than enough. Keep it simple.

If I had to characterize the people I've met on Azamara it would be: experienced cruisers, down-to-earth, live and let live, nonjudgmental, friendly. Most people will have very little interest in what you're wearing. They're too busy having a good time.

So be comfortable and enjoy your cruise. You have nothing to worry about as far as clothes go.

Part of the dress code that I think enters in to this discussion is where you are from..we here in California never really "dress up" my husband does not own a jacket or tie..so we wear the dressiest we get here in town..

people from the midwest and east coast seem to dress more and the UK also seems to be more dressy in the "middle age group"

I think you should wear what makes you comfortable..as I told one lady on this board..think Chicos and Coldwater Creek!!

Jancruz1

Archived