Constellation Baltic Review

brazilgirl

Kim

I am really enjoying your review of the ports. All of them to in the past 20 years. brings back happy memories.

I would like to know more about the connie as i will be on her next year.

the bars, the pool area, more o nthe food and types of evening shows. thanks

Thank you for all your wonderful information. On our cruise we are in St. Petersburg for two days- so I booked the Peterof Palace tour for day one and then the Venice of the North canal cruise for the second day- so I was just wondering if you kids had done the same things.

Selfishly- I have already been to the Hermitage (in 1987) and it just seemed too crowded then and thought Marc might not really like being on that tour. So- do you think he will be terribly disappointed at missing the Hermitage? He is 8 almost 9.

Hi Kim,

Loving your review and your photos! So glad that you and your family had such a great time! We're counting down now - 13 days until we fly to Copenhagen. I'm going to show my girls your photos so they have a better idea what to expect.

Lisa

Rebecca louise-

My kids really liked the Aurora battleship. As I mentioned , Yusopov´s Palace was really one of their favorites and much less crowded than the other places. You still get a real flavor of the Russian style , but we had most rooms to ourselves and they loved the intrigue of the Rasputin story.

As for the Hermitage , even though you have visited already , there is so , so much to see. It is crowded though , and a bit overwhelming. Our visit there was wonderful and my 9 yr old boy liked it a lot , but he is real history buff (and loves art). My 5 yr old got antsy. There is so much to do in SPB -if you don´t go , you will still have a unique and great experience.

More comments on the ship...

We really don´t go to bars , so I can´t really say much about them . The Martini Ba is very pretty and we went to the Captain´s Club party at the Bar of the Edge of the Earth , which has lovely windows.

We went to 4 shows , all of which focused on Broadway type music. And there was a fun "music from around the world"production.My favorite show was a singer mnamed Jordan , who starred in the LA production of Les Mis..his rendition of "Nights in White Satin"by the Moody Blues made me cry (I know-corny ,huh!)

Almost at the end of the cruise , we wandered into Michael´s Bar to hear Perry Grant. I must admit , I had read about him and peeked into the lounge and didn´t think he was my cup of tea. Boy was I wrong!!!My husband and I laughed sooooo much and we had such a good time. I am sorry I didn´t give him a chance sooner. What a talented man!

We didn´t use the pool area , which is great , very much as it was cold for us Brazilians!Lots of people from England out and about!

Lias -you will love your cruise..so will your kids. I plan on posting more photos later today.

More later.

Kim

Currency is a bit complicated....

Amsterdam , Germany , Finland- all use Euros. However , many places do not use credit cards!! Ex: In Lubeck , 3 separate places we visited did not accept cc. Same in many other countries!!! Take cash too!

Estonia , Denmark and Swedan all have their own currency (kroners)...

Rubles in Russia- again restaurant did not accept cc-we withdrew cash from ATM at the Hermitage.

Kim

Kim ~ what a wonderful review and fantastic photos. You and I would be competitive in photo taking. Yours are beautiful! Please be sure to submit your review to the REVIEWS section of Cruise Critic for lots of others to enjoy as well. Your children are adorable, too! Thanks for taking the time to share wiht all of us!

Rebecca louise-

My kids really liked the Aurora battleship. As I mentioned , Yusopov´s Palace was really one of their favorites and much less crowded than the other places. You still get a real flavor of the Russian style , but we had most rooms to ourselves and they loved the intrigue of the Rasputin story.

As for the Hermitage , even though you have visited already , there is so , so much to see. It is crowded though , and a bit overwhelming. Our visit there was wonderful and my 9 yr old boy liked it a lot , but he is real history buff (and loves art). My 5 yr old got antsy. There is so much to do in SPB -if you don´t go , you will still have a unique and great experience.

More comments on the ship...

We really don´t go to bars , so I can´t really say much about them . The Martini Ba is very pretty and we went to the Captain´s Club party at the Bar of the Edge of the Earth , which has lovely windows.

We went to 4 shows , all of which focused on Broadway type music. And there was a fun "music from around the world"production.My favorite show was a singer mnamed Jordan , who starred in the LA production of Les Mis..his rendition of "Nights in White Satin"by the Moody Blues made me cry (I know-corny ,huh!)

Almost at the end of the cruise , we wandered into Michael´s Bar to hear Perry Grant. I must admit , I had read about him and peeked into the lounge and didn´t think he was my cup of tea. Boy was I wrong!!!My husband and I laughed sooooo much and we had such a good time. I am sorry I didn´t give him a chance sooner. What a talented man!

We didn´t use the pool area , which is great , very much as it was cold for us Brazilians!Lots of people from England out and about!

Lias -you will love your cruise..so will your kids. I plan on posting more photos later today.

More later.

Kim

Thanks for your advice. I am thinking of rebooking the Hermitage.

Thank you , Host Anne! I love taking pictures....I still need to post my Hermitage pictures . They turned out really well (how couldn´t they in such an amazing place.)

I tried posting a Member Review and somehow all of it got erased! A bit frustrating!

Any tips?

Kim

We arrived on a rather rainy morning and I did not follow the little letter asking the people one non-Celebrity tour to gather at the Bar of the Edge of the Earth. I just went down to disembarkation and got in the huge line (full of people on Celebrity tours). My DH didn´t want to disobey the ship , but I told him that it was o.k, and that he had to trust me. He was convinced after everything went fine.

I've been reading some horror stories about difficulties disembarking at St Petersburg for those on private tours - particularly with Princess although I have now read that RCI issued letters saying that their own tours have to be disembarked first prior to private tours on jewel of the Seas.

Kim - you obviously made the decision to not wait as requested - did everything go smoothly for you? Those that waited were they held up?

We have arranged to meet our guide at 08.30 - do you think this could present problems?

I really don't want to start a long day feeling stressed and anxious and can't decide whether to wait with the private tours or just make our way down to disembark with the ship's tours.

Anybody with any advice or recent experience on Constellation I would be really grateful

thank you!

smileon-

I have just read the same horror stories (on Princess I think).

Our tour was scheduled for the first day and I decided to heed the letter Anastasia had sent me telling me just to get off the ship. I ignored the letter Celebrity put in our staterooms asking us to gather at 8:30.

I got downstairs around 8:45 and there were very , very long lines. All the people I saw in these lines were on the Celebrity tours (they were wearing stickers) and they were been conducted by staff members.

We waited normally in line for some time (the line was fairly fast moving) and had no problems or questions asked.

When we finally got to the little immigration building (outside the ship) , a

Russian official asked what tour we were on and we showed him our Anastasia tickets.He then asked us to change lines (to a shorter one!) and we went through with no hassle.

I had all documents in order , with xeroxes , immigration forms etc in perfect order.

The process was relatively stress-free and the 2nd day was even easier!

Don´t worry-I am sure everything will go smoothly.

Kim

Thanks Kim!

I'm not generally a rebel and tend to do as I'm told! However, our tour is due to start at 08.30 so meeting then would make us late. How long do you think we should allow to get off the ship and through the passport control?

Did you need many roubles - Anastasia has said she will give the guide roubles to pay for the lunches for us and we can then just pay in dollars at the end. is that what you did? So really we are only looking at souveniers - mainly for the children. Did your children buy anything and was it expensive?

Thank you again

Anne

Did you get the immigration form on the ship or was it provided by your tour company? Our guide has emailed us "tickets" and said that's all we need. I also have photocopies of our passports but have a sinking feeling in my gut that we are going to get there and find we are missing some essential document.

The stories from Princess are horrible but I understand many lines are now holding people up. We are sailing on MSC. No one has posted any specific information but I found them on the same list as Princess and HAL so I am expecting the worst. Luckily our ship, Lirica, is half the size of some of the others so even if we have to wait until the end it shouldn't be the 2 1/2 hours I am reading about. I can't even imagine trying to occupy a 4 year old for that long and then getting any sort of cooperation on the tour...

Kim, I just loved your review. Especially heartened to hear how much time and effort you gave to the planning and consideration for your children. When our son was growing up we did our best to show him as much of the world as possible. Visits to England, France, Hong Kong, Russia, etc. have made him a curious and compassionate adult.

Our cruise to the Baltics on Constellation 3 years ago was our favorite. We splurged a bit and enjoyed a private tour through Alla. We couldn't have been happier as our guide, Elena, managed to find the quieter times for the busier museums such as the Hermitage. We arrived just as the morning groups were leaving and before the afternoon ones arrived.

Rebeccalouise, you might want to consider finding someone to share a private or almost private tour with another family. Perhaps through the roll call. And don't underestimate the Hermitage's charms for your son. I think he'd have fun with the 114 staircases alone!

Check out their interactive website - it's the best site I've ever seen. We were able to steer our guide to exactly what we wanted to see.

Mary Anne

Thanl you for such nice words , sealover...I really enjoy planning these family trips. They are so rewarding in all ways. I love the fact that my 5 yr old understands the concept that each country has its own culture , language , currency! I hope all my kids grow up to be "compassionate and curious" (I love that!)like your son. I think travel really does help make better human beings.

The immigration forms were provided by the ship. Anastasia had sent us (online) travel tickets before hand. The forms , tickets , your passport and a copy of the main picture page of your passport is all that was needed.

We paid for almost everything with a credit card-our lunch the first day at Peterhof , our souvenirs ...we paid for our lunch the 2nd day with roubles we took from the ATM , because our guide, Elena said the restaurant didn´t accept cc. She said we could pay at the end too , but we were near an ATM , so we took out around $50 american dollars , which covered our family of 5 , as well as lunch for Elena (we treated her on both days).

We bought the following at the souvenir shop:

a tacky fake fur soviet hat (my middle son loved it!)

Some nesting dolls

a ship (clipper)

a beautful handpainted laquer box for me , as well as some lovely boxes made of birch

The boxes were pricy , but the rest was pretty inexpensive ($10 for a nice nesting doll , $12 for the ship...)

As far as how long to allow to get off the ship, it is hard to say...I think 8:30 is a time which might be more crowded as more people get off early.

I would consider changing your tour time and leave a bit later to avoid the lines (9ish seems to be a good time).You´ll have plenty of time and even if you get back later, it is still light out!

Cheerio!

Kim

Kim

Your review is really useful. Thanks so much for posting it. We leave next saturday.

I just have one question - what was the temperature like in the main dining room? Just wondering whether to pack an evening jacket or not?

Sweep

brazilgirl,

Thanks for your review, it has been very helpful as we will be on the same cruise later this week.

We plan to mirror your Amsterdam plans - I've got tickets booked for a 9:30 entry at the Anne Frank House, with plans to do the HOHO canal boat afterwards, getting on at the stop near the Anne Frank House.

However, your experience of rushing to return to the ship has me a bit worried now (my mother has had 2 knee replacement surgeries and can't rush anywhere).

This is the canal boat tour we are planning to take: http://www.canal.nl/en/theme.php?theme_id=3

and it has 3 different lines, 2 of them stopping in front of the Anne Frank House and Central Station, which is where we would get off to return to the ship. Is this the canal tour you took?

I'm glad you posted about your experience, as it caused me to take a closer look at the timetable. It does appear that there is a 40-45 minute gap between boats at each of the stops. This knowledge will definitely help me to keep an eye on my watch to budget our time.

With regard to souvenirs, don't overlook the museum shops. Since I collect small boxes, I was thrilled to find a lovely malachite box at the Hermitage gift shop and a silver one topped with amber from Catherine's Palace. The Malachite room at the Hermitage was one of the most spectacular of all and the amber room at Catherine's Palace left me breathless. Also bought a gorgeous silk scarf from the Hermitage. While the prices were non-negotiable I felt that all were of good value. They are cherished reminders of a very special trip.

Chepar- the canal tour looks very similar to ours. I´d pay attention!

Sweep - the temperature in the MDR was very comfortable. I was never cold (or hot ) and on more than one occasion wore "bare" cocktail dresses (in good taste of course-lol!)

Kim

Will finish up review today!

Tallin , Estonia- A real gem. The Old Town is easy to navigate and full of charm. We visited the Fat Tower , the Russian Church ,and peeked into lots of quaint shops. It was a sunny , clear day , so we had lunch in the square. We had a marvelous seafood platter and Estonian beer. Really delicious. There were many people dressed up in period costumes , which was fun.

Copenhagen , Denmark-Again , we opted to rent a car. We drove up the coast towards Kronborg Slot (the "Hamlet " Castle). The drive was stunning. Tones of blues , greens and yellows dotted with majestic mansions and manicured yards. Once at the castle , we had a bit of rain , which gave it atmosphere. we explored the dank casemates-they sell flashlights in a vending machine , which is fun.

Then we had a "car" picnic. We laughed a lot , because the Danish cheese we had purchased at the market was quite stinky!

We then drove to the Frederiksborg Castle. this was voted the best place of our trip. Simply gorgeous and so , so peaceful. No crowds , just sheer beauty. Our favorite part was the abandoned bath house with a lake full of swans and their babies swimming around.

The drive back to Copenhagen was easy (driving in Denmark is very nice-no traffic , good signage ...).We went back to the ship and got ready for a night at Tivoli. We had a wonderful time in this magical park . it is transformed at night. Our daughter met up with her friend (we went on the St.Pete´s tour) and the rode all the scary rides.

The next day , my DH and I went on an ambitious walking tour. We hit the Rosenborg Castle , St.Peter´s Church , the Danish Army barracks , Nyhaven and other sights. I loved Denmark.

We headed back to the ship and I shopped a bit at the nice outlet area at the pier ( Copenhagen has by far the best docking area).

Next was our last sea day...sad. Rough seas-my middle son got sick , which is a first.

Lots of packing.

Disembarkation was a breeze-so fast and efficient. We took a shuttle ( we shared with some nice roll call members) back to London.

We stayed in London Saturday , Sunday and Monday , leaving Monday night at 10. We stayed at the Hilton on Park Lane , which was very nice.It was a real cultural experience , since half of the guests were Muslims and many of the women were wearing burkas-the kids were curious and it opened some interesting discussions.

We went on a fun Duck Tour , visited the Natural History Museum , explored the Tower of London and chased squirrels in Hyde Park. On our last day we went to Madame Trussard´s and saw Buckingham palace. We had our last picnic in St.Jame´s Park , which is exquisite.

Caught our direct flight back with no problem...back to reality!

Our trip was wonderful and we all loved the Constellation. A majestic ship with a caring , attentive crew.

I highly recommend this ship and this itinerary.

Kim

It's been wonderful to read your review. We leave on saturday and hearing about your trip has made me even more excited.

It was good to hear you enjoyed Fredriksborg as we are also planning a trip to the castle.

Thank you for all you help and answers to questions ( there may still be a few more in the next day or two!!)

Anne

Anne -

Have a wonderful trip!

Advice be sure to pack with "layering " on your mind. One of the things I ended up regretting was that I ended up with too few clothes for the kids. We went through a lot of temp changes.

Kim

Archived