Crown Grill - Positive Reviews

swdke

I've read many positive reviews about the Crown Grill. I've never been, and think I'd like to give it a try when I sail the Caribbean Princess on an upcoming cruise. I've always enjoyed the Dining room, can someone help explain just how exactly is the Crown Grill is better? I am interested in reading specifics on just what exacly makes the Crown Grill receive such positive reviews. What more can I enjoy at the Crown Grill than I do in the dining room?

Also, where do I make reservations?

Again, normally I use the Dining room, if I make reservations for the Crown Grill, what dining night is best? To clarfy, I assume the Crown Grill has a set menu which is the same each night, but the dining room has a different theme each night. Therefore, which night is best to give up in the dining room to enjoy the Crown Grill?

Thanks so much for your help.

If you enjoy steak, try the filet mignon. Cooked just right and you could cut it with a fork. Got the small, no extra charge, lobster tails and our waiter brought out a whole plate full. We also had a sampling of several desserts. Great service and ambiance.

When we boarded the Emerald, we went directly to the Crown Grill and the maitre'd was there and we picked our day and time. You can also reserve by dialing the reservations line but you may have a long wait. They also may have tables set up in the atrium for reservations. We did not do formal this cruise so we had reservations on the first formal night, as formal clothes are not required in the pay venues. Try it, I'm sure you will really enjoy:)

The rack of lamb is excellent, the filet is excellent, the live Maine lobster split and grilled is excellent along with the 12 ounce Brazillain tail!!!

There is a $9 up chrage for the larger lobster dishes. But you can order as many entrees as you wish. :D

Make reservations at the restaurant or call the DINE line from your cabin phone.

The main thing that I think that makes it superior to the regular dining room options is the quality ingredients. The steaks are very large high quality cuts of meat that are cooked to order and served promptly so that the temperatures are correct. These are cuts of meat that in other high quality steakhouses will set you back $40 - $60 each, not including the appetizers, desserts, ect. The side dishes are served family style for sharing, the red skin mashed potatos were excellent. The lobster, whether it be the small no upcharge option, or the larger $9 options are excellent. The main reason that DH and I dine in the CG is that while it is a $25-$34 per person meal it feels and tastes like a $100 per person meal.

The only argument that DH and I have is that I prefer CG and he prefers Sabatinis.

Hope this helps.

DH had filet and lobster, and he said it rivaled some of our better nearby steakhouses. I had a bite of his filet and it was excellent. I'm not a big red meat eater, so I had the striped bass and it was amazingly good. The sauce was to die for. We had great service and the desserts were incredibly rich.

When we went to make reservations, they had menus out from the dining room for the 9 day cruise so we could review those and decide what to give up.

I think the fact that the food is cooked to order in the Crown Grill versus cooking for alot of people and "holding" the food is what makes it taste better.....I found the pay venue restaraunts on Princess, NCL, and even RCCL to be better tasting than the main dining room....:p

We ate in the Crown Grill and felt it was worth every penny. You can't get a great steak in the dining rooms. At the Crown Grill they have several choices as far as cut. We had a porterhouse and a NY Strip. Both were great and cooked to perfection.....we eat our meat almost raw. Funny thing - we were asked to sign a book saying we asked our meat to be cooked that way. I would highly recommend the restaurant.

I also highly recommend the Crown Grill, and support other posters in that you get your steak/seafood to order and not part of dishes that are kept warm for the dining room. I certainly enjoyed my lobster (the extra $9 charge). My only complaint was (and it's only due to my medical issue) that I wasn't able to enjoy some of the dishes that sounded so good I was beginning to drool all over my clothes. I can certainly recommend their warm berry & apple tart with ice cream.

I made my reservation with the maitre'd, the day I boarded, for the first formal night and at 6:00 - that's when they open. There were only three other tables taken at that time, but I'm sure the place would get crowded later on.

We went to the Crown Grill this past February. The food was outstanding, but the service was very rushed, appearing under staffed. I would go again though as the quality of the food was great and worth the price.

The food in the MDR is function food prepared for thousands. If you enjoy function food (wedding food) more than you do going out to a really good steakhouse like Ruth's Chris or Capital Grille, then stay in the MDR. If you like a good chop house, then try the Crown Grill.

We are on the Star and ate at the Crowne Grill on Monday and it was the old Sterling menu with no lobster available.The ribeye was not very good.

I hope the decor is nicer than Sterling...in Sterling, I felt like I was in a western family-style steakhouse.:p

On our last few cruises we ate in the Crown Grill on both formal nights. We've had the filet, striped bass and lamb. My favorite was the rack of lamb. It was cooked perfectly. Our service was superb.

Choices choices...

Main Plate Maine Lobster!

main_image_117.jpg

I've read many positive reviews about the Crown Grill. I've never been, and think I'd like to give it a try when I sail the Caribbean Princess on an upcoming cruise. I've always enjoyed the Dining room, can someone help explain just how exactly is the Crown Grill is better? I am interested in reading specifics on just what exacly makes the Crown Grill receive such positive reviews. What more can I enjoy at the Crown Grill than I do in the dining room?

Also, where do I make reservations?

Again, normally I use the Dining room, if I make reservations for the Crown Grill, what dining night is best? To clarfy, I assume the Crown Grill has a set menu which is the same each night, but the dining room has a different theme each night. Therefore, which night is best to give up in the dining room to enjoy the Crown Grill?

Thanks so much for your help.

Just got off the CB and ate there twice.

We felt like we were in a small intimate restaurant with excellent service, custom cooked food and better quality ingredients. I don't eat meat, so they brought me 6 of the little Maine lobster tails. So much better than the MDR.

The decor on the CB at the Crown Grill is very nice.

Just off Caribbean Princess and we ate at both CG and Sabitini's. Enjoyed both. If you like an excellent steak and personal service make sure you go to the Crown! We chose "Italian" night since we were going to Sabitini's another night. Worked out great. They handled my wife's several allergies well. Be prepared to spend 2 hrs as all the food is made to order in either venue. Overall we liked Sabitni's better but if you are steak people Crown will not disappoint.

Sign up in front of Sabitini's, deck 7, as soon as you arrive to get the time and day you would like without a problem. DMaugle

Archived