Dress Code changes for 2010 cruises

DaveFr

Or if you are in the military and happen to drive/command a tank. But then that would get into the entire "Is a uniform okay on Formal nights" debate and I don't really think we need to go there.:D

Well, we won't go there of course, but of course there are formal military uniforms for all branches of the service, and they are more than accepted at any venue, with honor. A friend of mine who is a retired naval Commander has a Civil War era formal Naval uniform that fits him quite well, and he wears it to all formal occaisions, inlcuding military ones (it turns out U.S. military uniforms from all eras are acceptable on retired officers, as long as they are authentic and complete.) At the Country Club, on the other hand, he wears Polo shirts rather than golf shirts because, like me, he plays polo but does not play golf.

Of course. Why else would I have Polo shirts? For that matter I also have tennis shorts, walking shorts, running shoes, hiking boots . . . . . I haven't figured out why I also have dress shirts since I don't own any dresses but, now that I think about it, I DO dress (every morniing in fact) so I think that ought to qualify ALL of my shirts as dress shirts, right?

That's cool... just checking.

I once wore a tennis shirt on the golf course. Is that cross dressing?

Rally, you are absolutely right..since we started cruising with Regent in 2004, was a

priviledge to wear the Army's mess blue uniform at every Regent or Silversea formal night...fellow cruisers we're especially gracious with their patriotic comments.

Well, we won't go there of course, but of course there are formal military uniforms for all branches of the service, and they are more than accepted at any venue, with honor. A friend of mine who is a retired naval Commander has a Civil War era formal Naval uniform that fits him quite well, and he wears it to all formal occaisions, inlcuding military ones (it turns out U.S. military uniforms from all eras are acceptable on retired officers, as long as they are authentic and complete.) At the Country Club, on the other hand, he wears Polo shirts rather than golf shirts because, like me, he plays polo but does not play golf.

I do wish I had saved my lance corporal's uniform from the 39-45 war.

BTW. A gentleman named Henry Allingham, a veteran of the 1914-18 war, died aged 113 today here in the UK.

Rally, you are absolutely right..since we started cruising with Regent in 2004, was a

priviledge to wear the Army's mess blue uniform at every Regent or Silversea formal night...fellow cruisers we're especially gracious with their patriotic comments.

Thank you Orpington and ColonelWes for your service. Same to all vets on and off these boards. In February we had the priviege to be aboard Voyager for a circumnavigation of Iwo Jima (Japan refused permission to land, although that had been pre-arranged I was told.) Voyager came to a stop in front of Mt. Suribachi, and all veterans were invited to the bow. Everyone else, including us, were invited anywhere EXCEPT the place of honor on the bow. About 50 - 75 men and women gathered at the bow and taps was played. It was a moving moment of dead silence, which lasted for quite a while as the ship sailed quietly away. We will not forget.

It sounds like this issue has been solved:confused: This subject will come up again (probably within the month). What will your answer be in terms of polo/golf/tennis (what sport am I missing) shirts???

Rugby shirts.

Is shopping a sport? I have to buy some shopping clothes!!! Somebody mentioned socks on the other page. Socks??? :eek: What are they? :confused: I can't remember the last time I had a pair on -- probably several years ago. Himself, too. Only when he needed to wear those big, gorky black shoes. However, I will say even with the new dress code, since I do most of the packing, he will be wearing a sport jacket most nights.;)

Since he doesn't look like James Bond any longer (his words, not mine) he's very glad he doesn't have to squeeze his way into a tux.

Hmmmmm, I stayed away from this thread for 24 hours to allow the men to figure out the dress code and this is what you come up with:eek: Guess I have to go out and buy my DH a Rugby shirt. . . .

Cat, you have finally discovered the secret: many men (at least this man) are more than happy to have their wives shop for them and (especially) pack for them. Take my tuxedo (please!) I am more than happy to wear the thing, if it makes my wife happy, as long as she picks it out and packs it, including, of course, all the accoutrement that goes along with the thing, in HER suitcase.

...as long as she picks it out and packs it, including, of course, all the accoutrement that goes along with the thing, in HER suitcase.

Not to mention the part about her unpacking it and ensuring that all the parts are clean, pressed where applicable, and laid out properly for donning at the appropriate time. Sorta reminds you of the ceremonial ritual for clothing a matador in the "suit of lights," doesn't it?

Not to mention the part about her unpacking it and ensuring that all the parts are clean, pressed where applicable, and laid out properly for donning at the appropriate time. Sorta reminds you of the ceremonial ritual for clothing a matador in the "suit of lights," doesn't it?

EXACTLY! I have never understood why this can be so confusing to some women. Men understand this part instictively. The alternative, of course, is polo shirts.

Which leads to the not-unrelated question of over-packing. This is never a problem for men, as long as their wives have remembered to pack Woolite.

Is shopping a sport? I have to buy some shopping clothes!!! Somebody mentioned socks on the other page. Socks??? :eek: What are they? :confused: I can't remember the last time I had a pair on -- probably several years ago. Himself, too. Only when he needed to wear those big, gorky black shoes. However, I will say even with the new dress code, since I do most of the packing, he will be wearing a sport jacket most nights.;)

Since he doesn't look like James Bond any longer (his words, not mine) he's very glad he doesn't have to squeeze his way into a tux.

As soon as you put a question mark after socks, I knew you lived in a warm climate:) Being raised in So. Calif., I don't think I owned a pair of socks. . . . now, living in WA, I have 2 drawers full.

Yup!!!:D Formal dress here are clean boat shoes! Socks are worn in January.

They go nicely with the parkas that every "native" Floridian I know puts on any time the temperature drops below 75 degrees!!!:D

You got that right. At least we don't wear sundresses in January like the tourists do!!!:eek::D Our blood is thin.

A good friend who lives near Boca Raton says he can always tell the "snowbirds" from the natives, even if both have a nice healthy tan. The "snowbird" is the one wearing shorts in Publix in January!:D

I think we've hit on what the new dress code should be for men:

- on formal nights, tuxes are mandatory

- on casual nights, polo shirts are mandatory!

Or golf shirts for those of us who don't play polo!:D

(Rally must be hiding around here somewhere!)

I think we've hit on what the new dress code should be for men:

- on formal nights, tuxes are mandatory

- on casual nights, polo shirts are mandatory!

Wendy, strongly agree on the polo shirts, but, mandatory tuxes? Can we just invite penguins on board instead:confused:

Archived