What is happening to Carnival?

stevenr597

I do not have time to read all the posts right now, but for my 2 cents, and I have been saying this forever on these boards (of course I am wrong and everyone else is right) is that it is a small city on a cruise and everyone except those you are travelling with are total strangers....some good...some bad.

You would not believe the arguments that statement garners...one poster started to argue that 3000 pax is a town...not a city:confused:. Go figure...so what...it is still 3000 strangers....like it or not!

I know that doesn't answer your question completely, but as far as the molestations, killings, drunks........all the same stuff happens in a small city:rolleyes:/town:rolleyes:!

That is why we continue to cruise, albeit not as often as most seem to cruise, as we have other expenses that sometimes take priority:( and when we cruise we stick together as a family.....regardless of the ages of the kids....and we get connecting cabins (if the ship doesn't have them...we find one that does) we operate under the valid assumption that it is a family cruise...time to be together..not apart...we bring no friends for the kids as we don't need to and we do not drink ourselves into oblivion.

A relative once was describing his cruise and he kept saying he was drunk as a skunk all week:eek: Such fun....not.

I guess that many people cruise to forget about life, but we cruise to make memories....and that can only be done as a cohesieve (sp) group.

Sorry to offend those who are not of like mind or circumstances, but I just wanted to let the OP know what we do to make our cruise enjoyable regardless of the other pax.

I do admit as well that the cruises we have taken thus far have attracted a less that rowdy crowd...the Med just is not for the drunks...it is for the history buffs who do not mind exhausting excursions.

We also are all in our cabin by 11pm.....we sometimes do go as a family to the venues.....they actually do play music for dancing at 9pm, btw:)

Choose the less common itineraries, which cost a little more, and you will see a marked difference.

I got caught on a lowball priced Carnival cruise once, and OMG!!!! :eek:

Hey Pete thanks for adding that thought....I am of like mind!

I don't see how a ship could be "overcrowded" - there are only a certain number of beds that the ship was designed for. Even if every one is full, the ship is not overcrowded. More likely, there were too many people in the same place at the same time. Other parts of the ship were likely under-crowded at those times.

I have not picked up on a trend of more alcohol-related problems or vandalism occurring. It does occur, and maybe it is better reported now, but I doubt the ratio of incidents to passenger-days is increasing.

I have not picked up on a trend of more alcohol-related problems or vandalism occurring. It does occur, and maybe it is better reported now, but I doubt the ratio of incidents to passenger-days is increasing.

I think, in the wake of the whole mess with that couple on their honeymoon, there is an elevated level of scrutiny that's coupled with Carnival making an effort to be more transparent. People have been getting drunk on ships for millenia (falling off of them too -- you don't want to know what a "seat of ease" was or where it was located). The media's just making hay of it due to the sensation nature of the cases.

I do understand yours and several of the other comments. Like I said we enjoy Carnival and we consider it the best value for the money. But still the questions I have raised should be answered. I do feel that on occasion the Fantasy Class Boats may be seriously overcrowded. I also feel that Carnival may be far to lenient in respect to letting passengers take Ice Chest and alcohol on board and far to liberal in the amount of alcohol they serve. The state that they, "don't want to get into arguments with the passengers" may be true, but on a cruise liner excessive drinking can become a safety issue, both to the passenger and the people around him.

Carnival once has the image of being a "party" boat and they had to work long and had to change their image as a affordable family safe vacation. I do question, whether they are beginning to slip and considering the excellent organization they are, would hate to see people avoiding Carnival because of "image" problems

I think if these are real concerns of yours, you are looking for answers etc. in the wrong place. Why would you not write to Carnival to find out what they are doing instead of asking for opinions? Carnival could answer your questions and then you could decide if their line is still for you or if you are going to have the same problems in the future.

BTW, I think the Princess and RCI products have improved over that same time frame. (One Man's Opinion and My Wife said I could have that opinion) Based on 15 previous cruises on all three of these lines.

I have to respectfully disagree with your opinion regarding Royal Caribbean. We are Diamond Plus on their line and have noticed a downward trend in many areas. Taking away the mints at night (minor I know), not filling the ice buckets twice daily unless requested, lower quality food, etc. These, to me, are not improvements no matter how I look at them. Also, ask any Diamond member how he/she feels about all the changes on Royal. You probably will get more opinions like mine than yours.

... have noticed a downward trend in many areas. Taking away the mints at night (minor I know), not filling the ice buckets twice daily unless requested, lower quality food, etc.

This is happening on Carnival too. I think this is a calculated business move which is slowly changing the business model of the mass-market cruise line from an all-inclusive to more of an a-la-carte model.

I don't expect there will be charges for all meals, but I do see the cruise lines establishing a lower baseline for the free services and then adding more extra-fee services on top for those who want them.

There will always be people who want to pay $100 a day or less and get room, gourmet food, entertainment, and transportation across the sea, and then complain when the don't get top-notch service of food for that price. I think for $100 a day you don't have much room to complain no matter what the food or service level is.

I don't want to be on any cruise where I'm surrounded by people who are wasted out of their minds. I've almost never run into that, on Carnival or on other lines. I do think, though, that there is a much greater possibility of people drinking way too much if they smuggle their own liquor aboard. While it is still possible to get hammered paying for drinks, I think that most people will see expense as a reason for moderation, even if they don't see decorum or proper conduct as a reason... For this and other reasons, I do wish that people wouldn't smuggle...

Amen to this... and how many times have we seen parents buying alcohol drinks for their minor kids.... against Carnival rules but how dare Carnival tell them that their little darlings can't have a drink?:eek:

I would be more concerned about contacting norovirus aboard a cruise ship then worrying about somebody jumping overboard. It seems to me that norovirus illnesses have been reported much more lately on lines like Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America.

Maybe because Carnival is often the cheapest cruise, it attracts a different individual, those may be younger, who dont have as much money as the older folks who cruise Princess, Celebrity etc.

I dont see how you can blame Carnival for folks' stupdity and those with out of control children. Blame the parents. It is true that Carnival doesnt enforce rules, they dont want to get into fights, like children in the adult hot tubs, or running in the halls. Disney is known to be one of the few cruiselines who enforces the rules in regard to children.

I agree with everything you said...good post.

Choose the less common itineraries, which cost a little more, and you will see a marked difference.

I got caught on a lowball priced Carnival cruise once, and OMG!!!! :eek:

You are SOOOO right!:eek::D We had a good time and didn't regret our choice toooo much BUT we didn't need to attend any shows to be entertained. ;)

My family are frequent cruisers, traveling on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and Carnival. Carnival cruise line has been one of our favorites, in fact we are Platinum Members and travel on Carnival at least once/year.

Recently we have noticed some disturbing trends in regards to Carnival. On the Inspiration we thought that the ship was seriously overcrowded. On the Legend the service was deficient and many of the children appeared to be out of control with numerous acts of vandalism.

Of most concern however, is the reports of individuals falling overboard, possibly due to excess drinking. Most recently we read about the unfortunate murder of a women by her husband.

Our question, is whether Carnival is doing enough to provide a safe environment for all the passengers? We have the impression that sneaking excessive alcohol aboard is becoming an art, and that Carnival will often continue to serve individuals alcohol, even when it appears that they are drunk.

I know that individuals will argue that incidents always occur, but why does Carnival seem to be the cruise line that attracts the greatest number?

I would like to stress that we will continue to cruise Carnival, we love the boats and the crews that service them, but we do feel that Carnival should be aware of the problems and what it may be doing to their image.

First thing carnaval can only do so much to stop people from doing what they want to do, and second i think u get more issues on carnival ships simply because they have more ships witch means more cruises and more people.

I don't want to be on any cruise where I'm surrounded by people who are wasted out of their minds. I've almost never run into that, on Carnival or on other lines. I do think, though, that there is a much greater possibility of people drinking way too much if they smuggle their own liquor aboard. While it is still possible to get hammered paying for drinks, I think that most people will see expense as a reason for moderation, even if they don't see decorum or proper conduct as a reason... For this and other reasons, I do wish that people wouldn't smuggle...

I drink more on the ship then I do at home even though im paying 4 times as much its a vacation i think people will drink as much or more wether they smuggle it on or not.

I don't see alcohol as being the culprit here. What I see is a company that has made cruising affordable for just about anyone these days. When it's made affordable to everyone you will always have a mix of demographics involved. You may not see this on Hal or Cunard but you those cruises are pricey and attract a different demographic overall.

I've been on 5 Carnival cruises since 2007 and I have never witness any excessively drunk or anyonne inappropriately behaving from being over served. It also may be that I go on my cruises looking to have a good time and I pay very little attention to what other people are doing.

I have yet to sail on the Fantasy class of ships and so far they haven't attracted my attention. Perhaps you may find a better cruise experience on the longer sailings and the newer ships?

been on the ecstacy and it was awsome i think the bigger ships might have to many people but ill see soon.

What about the idiot who fell overboard on Royal Carribbean. not to long ago.? He was drunk and stood up high. It doesn't take a genius to know not to stand up on top of something. Why do people knic pick Carnival to death. ? We did RC once. We saw more drunks on that one cruise than we have seen on 8 Carnival. It was disgusting. Our food is always been so much better on Carnival than RC. We only did one.on RC. That was enough . After the guys screaming in the hallway outside our room and falling into us in the corridors, my husband said you couldn't give us a RC for free. Now they are saying it is dangerous to cruise because of a death. It was her husband that killed her. Not a stranger. I am sick of people saying such Crap about Carnival. If you don't like Carnival, go to another board. Someone is always trying to start trouble. We enjoy Carnival. We have done 8 with Carnival, 1 RC & 1 Disney. We aren't New cruisers either.

Carnival has 50% of the market. Therefore, their share of ALL activity will be 50%.

The murder was the luck of the draw. If that couple had sailed on the Staten Island ferry, they would be the one in the news.

You are incorrect I believe, Carnival CORPORATION has 50%, but Carnival Cruise Lines has less Capacity than Royal Caribbean:

Carnival 56.054 passengers 23 ships

Royal Caribbean 59,889 Passengers 22 ships

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/blog1/

My family are frequent cruisers, traveling on Royal Caribbean, Princess, Cunard, Celebrity and Carnival. Carnival cruise line has been one of our favorites, in fact we are Platinum Members and travel on Carnival at least once/year.

Recently we have noticed some disturbing trends in regards to Carnival. On the Inspiration we thought that the ship was seriously overcrowded. On the Legend the service was deficient and many of the children appeared to be out of control with numerous acts of vandalism.

Of most concern however, is the reports of individuals falling overboard, possibly due to excess drinking. Most recently we read about the unfortunate murder of a women by her husband.

Our question, is whether Carnival is doing enough to provide a safe environment for all the passengers? We have the impression that sneaking excessive alcohol aboard is becoming an art, and that Carnival will often continue to serve individuals alcohol, even when it appears that they are drunk.

I know that individuals will argue that incidents always occur, but why does Carnival seem to be the cruise line that attracts the greatest number?

I would like to stress that we will continue to cruise Carnival, we love the boats and the crews that service them, but we do feel that Carnival should be aware of the problems and what it may be doing to their image.

The Secrete Service could not prevent President Reagan from being shot. It is not reasonable to expect Carnival to protect everyone, especially when those people are doing something stupid (excessive drinking) or being attacked by a spouse in the privacy of their own cabin.

Do you blame the police every time there is a crime or a traffic accident?

Besides, whatever happened to personal responsibility. Is it really Carnival's fault if someone drinks too much, or is it the fault of the person who is drinking too much. I stop drinking long before I reach my limit. There is someone at work who will not drink at all because he is a former alcoholic.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. And sometimes those things happen because the good person was not using good judgment at the time.

You are incorrect I believe, Carnival CORPORATION has 50%, but Carnival Cruise Lines has less Capacity than Royal Caribbean:

Carnival 56.054 passengers 23 ships

Royal Caribbean 59,889 Passengers 22 ships

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/blog1/

its all about Price! Discounted fares attract diff people. Try a cheap cruise and see for yourself.

The Secrete Service could not prevent President Reagan from being shot. It is not reasonable to expect Carnival to protect everyone, especially when those people are doing something stupid (excessive drinking) or being attacked by a spouse in the privacy of their own cabin.

Do you blame the police every time there is a crime or a traffic accident?

Besides, whatever happened to personal responsibility. Is it really Carnival's fault if someone drinks too much, or is it the fault of the person who is drinking too much. I stop drinking long before I reach my limit. There is someone at work who will not drink at all because he is a former alcoholic.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. And sometimes those things happen because the good person was not using good judgment at the time.

The very first thing to go is JUDGEMENT . . . its inherent in the characteristics of the product. :)

its all about Price! Discounted fares attract diff people. Try a cheap cruise and see for yourself.

This implies that people who can afford a more expensive cruises are some how a better class of people i dont think thats the case more likely to me is that the cruise experance u want is dependent on the amount u spend I dont chose the cruises i do because they are cheap i do for the type of cruise ill get.

Archived