Is the food safe to eat in Belize??

lindseesmom

A meal was included in our excursion to Altun Ha - I happily ate the food (chciken w/rice & beans, plantains, mango) and drank the provided lemonade. Everything was delicious. Neither my DH or I got sick in anyway from it.

So (as I would anywhere), look around, determine if it appears to be clean and well run, and if the answers is yes - eat and enjoy the food!

Ally

we did a ship's tour of lamanai, it included lunch.

also, chicken, cole slaw, beans, salad, coconut dessert and local bottles sodas...all very good and well presented. anything to do with the ship's tour is done tourists in mind. water was bottled water, food was well cooked..keeped in sealed containers.

Just watch the local monkeys and only eat what they eat. This worked for the Japanese in WW2.:rolleyes:

Seriously, take a look at the place of business and if it doesn't seem clean enough, don't eat there. This has worked for DW and I for many places and cultures.

If you are up for wandering around the town, across the swing bridge by the water taxi stand and down the street about 4 blocks or so is JamBel's Jerk Pit which serves good jerk chicken and Beliziean seafood! Nice patio. No intenstinal bug could survive that jamacian jerk heat!:D Otherwise stay with the conch fritters at the Wet Lizard. The only people who ever get sick at the Wet Lizard are those who imbibe a bit too much.

• 1 month later...

I have had several meals in Belize. I never even considered it could be a problem.

• Local fare in the Belize International Airport enroute to Guatemala
  • Home cooked meal from some family who cooked me a meal during a long wait for a plane in Punta Gorda
  • After going Cave Tubing, we stopped at a local restaurant for a nice meal and a beer.

All food was local - I highly recommend tasting the local flavors. You won't find it on a cruise ship. Anything that is cooked is safe to eat. You may want to avoid drinking the water, though.

We've eaten local foods on our two visits to Belize. No problems. Once was on an excursion and once was at the Wet Lizard. Very tasty, both.

Since these places cater to tourists, the last thing they want is to have tourists get sick. As posted above, if it looks clean, it probably is. If it looks dirty, it probably is.

Would the Wet Lizard be a fun place to hang out at after our tour to Altun- ha? The menu looks like & it seems clean in the pics? is there a good view? Anyone?

I loved it there. the owner Cathy was very nice. they do tours also . next time will use them. food was good-great drinks-all outdoors dining.

other place there to eat but not upstairs.

great purse shops- think knock offs. also other stores to hang in with clean bathrooms

Archived