can we join captain's table for dinner?

anywhere123

Hi Paul,

Only a thought, about to try and get an invite,

marrying a captain would help but I think there is only one lady captain,

having been to only one luncheon, I was very surprised to be told quite a

few who are invited to not attend.

Having only cruised two other cruise lines before spotting the Golden Princess as she docked and towered over us does this make me smarter than you.icon10.gif

yours shogun

Without question.

I always have gotten invited in Alaska. On a Coastal cruise - I was very far from it (there were 3 Captain Circle parties so there were tons of repeaters). In the Caribbean - it is hit or miss. I did get invited on a Canada NE trip.

This last trip I was invited but didn't go. I am probably going to sound snobbish but I don't want to break up my relaxing book reading day and go and get dressed nicely for 2 hours and then go back to tshirts and shorts for reading in front of the sun.

I have had some get togethers that were not lunches - on the Dawn Princess - they did a huge gorgeous buffet in the Ward Room - I will take that any day over a lunch. In Canada NE - they invited more then 40 people - probably 75 and had it in Skywalkers and had some great hourdourves. I like this better because you are not confined to just talking to the people at your table.

This last trip - the 2 entrees were sea bass and veal I think - I am not crazy for either. I doubt I missed anything by not going. Hopefully it gave someone else a chance to go who would appreciate it more. On this trip - there were only 35 elite and I think 125 Platinum. 600 captain circle people all together. Many newbies sail Alaska.

Hi Paul,

We are crusing out Quebec on the 23rd Oct if you join us and I get an invite for luncheon you can have my place.

yours Shogun

Unfortunately they wouldn't let you do that, unless he was next on the list.

I always have gotten invited in Alaska. On a Coastal cruise - I was very far from it (there were 3 Captain Circle parties so there were tons of repeaters). In the Caribbean - it is hit or miss. I did get invited on a Canada NE trip.

This last trip I was invited but didn't go. I am probably going to sound snobbish but I don't want to break up my relaxing book reading day and go and get dressed nicely for 2 hours and then go back to tshirts and shorts for reading in front of the sun.

I have had some get togethers that were not lunches - on the Dawn Princess - they did a huge gorgeous buffet in the Ward Room - I will take that any day over a lunch. In Canada NE - they invited more then 40 people - probably 75 and had it in Skywalkers and had some great hourdourves. I like this better because you are not confined to just talking to the people at your table.

This last trip - the 2 entrees were sea bass and veal I think - I am not crazy for either. I doubt I missed anything by not going. Hopefully it gave someone else a chance to go who would appreciate it more. On this trip - there were only 35 elite and I think 125 Platinum. 600 captain circle people all together. Many newbies sail Alaska.

Coral, if you don't like the menu they will give you anything you want. Just ask the host/hostess when you RSVP about the menu and if there's something you won't eat they will substitute. I don't eat fish or veal either, so I usually request chicken. The choices are also a fish and something else, so when it's beef or chicken it's ok with me.

I guess I am smarter than you , it only took me three non-Princess cruises to hook me on Princess. :)

But back when we started, there were very few perks for sailing on one line exclusively. And my crystal ball was in the repair shop. :p If someone would have mentioned those words "free laundry" to me, I would have thought twice before booking with any other cruise line. ;)

Hi Paul,

We are crusing out Quebec on the 23rd Oct if you join us and I get an invite for luncheon you can have my place.

yours Shogun

I appreciate the offer, but we will be in the southern Indian Ocean, heading to Madagascar on the final voyage of the Tahitian Princess.

But back when we started, there were very few perks for sailing on one line exclusively. And my crystal ball was in the repair shop. :p

We started lots of years before you and right, no perks. Not any I can recall.

Coral, if you don't like the menu they will give you anything you want. Just ask the host/hostess when you RSVP about the menu and if there's something you won't eat they will substitute. I don't eat fish or veal either, so I usually request chicken. The choices are also a fish and something else, so when it's beef or chicken it's ok with me.

The last several I have gone to, I am put at a small table with another couple (who usually has very strong political views that differ from me and are very vocal about it so I get to listen to that and bite my tongue to not say anything) and then sit next to either the Captain Circle Host (who on the Star recently was not that friendly) or a socially inept Engineer who really doesn't want to be there but is required to be while I play with my food so it looks like I liked it.

I much prefer when they don't do a lunch and have drinks and snacks where one can talk to others.

On the Sun Princess - they had it in the very small library. We were so tightly stuffed in there, one could not move so I ended up spending 45 minutes talking to the CD because no one could move as it was so crowded. Thankfully, he was a great CD.

It is a privilege to get invited but lately, I have been skipping them.

The last several I have gone to, I am put at a small table with another couple (who usually has very strong political views that differ from me and are very vocal about it so I get to listen to that and bite my tongue to not say anything) and then sit next to either the Captain Circle Host (who on the Star recently was not that friendly) or a socially inept Engineer who really doesn't want to be there but is required to be while I play with my food so it looks like I liked it.

I much prefer when they don't do a lunch and have drinks and snacks where one can talk to others.

On the Sun Princess - they had it in the very small library. We were so tightly stuffed in there, one could not move so I ended up spending 45 minutes talking to the CD because no one could move as it was so crowded. Thankfully, he was a great CD.

Sorry you've had bad luck. We've been quite fortunate, except for one time on the CB where we had this bejeweled woman who never shut her mouth. Fortunately we were with the Capt. on that one, and he kept the conversation away from her. When she let him.

It is funny you mention getting stuck with the engineer. Three years ago on the Tahitian, we had dinner every night with one of the ships's engineers and two other couples and had a wonderful time. We met him again last summer on the Tahitian in Alaska and had drinks a couple of times. Next week we will see him again, same ship. This time he will have his family, so we will meet them.

Remember the episode on "Keeping up Appearances" when Daisy and Onslow won a cruise in a suite on the same cruise the Buckets were on(she thought they were stowaways) and when Onslow and Daisy were invited to the Captains table, he said something like,:D "What! We have to eat with the help?" :eek:that is one of my favorite episodes.

And I agree the Tahitian Captains luncheon was the best, we got to do that twice.

Remember the episode on "Keeping up Appearances" when Daisy and Onslow won a cruise in a suite on the same cruise the Buckets were on(she thought they were stowaways) and when Onslow and Daisy were invited to the Captains table, he said something like,:D "What! We have to eat with the help?" :eek:that is one of my favorite episodes.

And I agree the Tahitian Captains luncheon was the best, we got to do that twice.

OMG!! I thought I had seen ALL of these episodes - but the one that sounds the best I have yet to see!!! Love those BUCKETS!!!:)

It is funny you mention getting stuck with the engineer. Three years ago on the Tahitian, we had dinner every night with one of the ships's engineers and two other couples and had a wonderful time. We met him again last summer on the Tahitian in Alaska and had drinks a couple of times. Next week we will see him again, same ship. This time he will have his family, so we will meet them.

It is one of the flip of a coins - on the Dawn Princess, I met one of the Engineers and he was very fascinating and I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with him. Another time, I sat next to a different Engineer who was probably very good at his job but didn't say anything and I truly felt sorry for him that he was made to attend that function as he clearly did not feel comfortable.

On one recent cruise, there were 196 Elite passengers.

Cut off for the cocktail party (in Skywalkers) was 223 days.

Most traveled passengers:

1st 644 days, 57 cruises

2nd 576 days, 58 cruises

3rd 486 days, 59 cruises

In this inspires you, start booking your future cruises so you can catch up.

On one recent cruise, there were 196 Elite passengers.

Cut off for the cocktail party (in Skywalkers) was 223 days.

Most traveled passengers:

1st 644 days, 57 cruises

2nd 576 days, 58 cruises

3rd 486 days, 59 cruises

In this inspires you, start booking your future cruises so you can catch up.

OMG Bill, you actually kept notes on this? :confused:

Archived