Kids Attire on Formal Night

busymom27

Children's dress code is the same as the adult's. Not sure what you mean by, "can he get away...". Are you asking will you be refused entrance to the dining room if he's not wearing a jacket? Probably not.

I found my 13 year old a black pinstripe suit from JCPenneys on clearance for $29.00. I told him that there were 2 formal nights on the cruise and I would only make him go to one. So in other words, we cut a deal.

My boys will be wearing slacks, black dress shoes and button up shirts. I might try to find some clip on ties for them... but we leave in 4 days so if I don't get around to finding them they will have to do without ties! We don't do a whole lot of dressing up in this family (we don't go to church etc) so I've had to buy a few collared shirts for the boys and pants etc.... we don't want to spend too much money for clothing they may only wear on the cruise!

While it is not necessary my son has always worn a tie and jacket at dinner from on all our cruises. He was 6 on the first cruise and did fight it a bit at the beginning. However, it didn't take long for him to get comfortable in formal clothes at dinner.

I do understand if people view it as a "money issue" but as people have suggested above many good deals exist on kids formal wear.

My son wore a suit on both cruises he went on, he was 11 at the time. I plan on also buying him a suit for the upcoming cruise in December. While it is not required, he looks most dashing in it. He actually loved wearing it, he got LOTS of attention on how good he looked in his suit, etc from the ladies, etc. I also plan on taking a nice Christmas photo of my kids and will want them dressed up for that also.

I found nice, affordable suits at Wal-Mart, I believe they were about $40 which I didn't think was bad to buy for a special occasion.

My 6 year old brother wore slacks, a dress shirt, vest and tie. One of those little coordinate sets you buy in the stores.

That is the same thing my 2 year old wears. So glad it still fits from 12/2008 cruise, I bought it a little big then so it would maybe last until our cruise this week.

Resale and thrift stores are your best friends when looking for dress wear for children. I have outfitted my son with a suit for most trips for under $10. Like others have said, many 'dress' outfits get been worn a couple of times before they are outgrown so you can find wonderful buys.

Archived