Anyone Recently Used Ramses Tours?

CRUISERTN

We've had the full spectrum of shots as we never know where our next cruise will take us. We'll be visiting Passport Health before our current trip to make sure we have everything covered. An ounce of prevention ...

We did the shots, along with tetanus boosters, just as a precaution although it's certainly not required. The hep shots are a couple of rounds, so you should start 6 months before you go.

We also did H1N1 shots because Cairo has been experiencing some cases and we hadn't done them here in the U.S. 6 months ago when it was prevalent here.

We've had the full spectrum of shots as we never know where our next cruise will take us. We'll be visiting Passport Health before our current trip to make sure we have everything covered. An ounce of prevention ...

Thanks.......:)

Wondering if anyone has recently used Ramses Tours for an overnight tour while in Egypt? Will be using them in a few months and was wondering if someone could give a review of how their recent tour was with them. I have read many posts from people who are booked with them for upcoming excursions, but not from anyone who has actually used them recently. Did you visit everything as planned? Any info will be most appreciated.

I booked with Ramses tours May 26, 2010 for the two day tour to the pyramids and Cairo area. I was extremly pleased with the whole experience. They will take you to all the places listed in the tour but we opted to spend more time at the pyramids and the Oberoi hotel. I strongly suggest you spend the extra $30.00 and book the Oberoi as it is a destination in itself. President Obama stayed at the hotel last year. Here is a quote about hotel:

This palatial hotel in the shadow of the Great Pyramids in Cairo has enchanted guests since 1869. Located in forty acres of jasmine scented gardens, Mena House Oberoi has played host to kings and emperors, Heads of State and celebrities. Its royal history is reflected in luxurious interiors that are embellished with exquisite antiques, handcrafted furniture and rich textiles. A variety of international as well as Egyptian cuisine is on offer at the excellent restaurants and bars in the hotel. This is the perfect place to begin your explorations of Cairo.

We did not get a room in the main hotel that overlooked the pyramids but we stayed in the garden annex which was a joyful experience. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and gardens and it was a deluxe hotel room.

They give you a wonderful breakfast in their restaurant that overlooks the pyramids included in your fare. We ate dinner at the restaurant and it was a nice meal. We did not eat at the expensive restaurants. Just walking around the hotel is an experience. They give a tour daily at 5 p.m.

and I suggest you take the tour. We also went to the sound and light show and it was well worth the time and money. I would say it is a not to miss show. The camel ride was the highlight of our visit to the pyramids.

We paid for this ourselves and it was $15.00 each as our guide did not bargain very much but it was worth the price and we did tip the camel guide as he took great pictures of us. The felluca ride was nice and the Mosque was beautiful but I would skip all of that and spend my time near the pyramids and hotel. If you want to be brougt to all the sites listed in the tour your guide will bring you there but it will be hectic trying to see it all. Sakara is well worth the time to visit.

The value of the whole tour was so reasonable. The guide was waiting for us as we got off the ship and the driver was not far away. The guide was with us and the driver was always waiting for us and was an excellent driver as traffic in Cairo is chaotic. I suggest you take the tour with travelers you know. I went with my two daughters and son in law and we agreed on what we wanted to do and see. Others on the ship told me about going with 8 others from the ship and having to sit in the last row of the van the whole trip. You also have to decide where you want to go and not go and that is not easy with that many people.

Ramses provided us with a nice van with plenty room for the four of us and it was air conditioned.

I would be happy to answer any questions as there is much more I could tell you. No tour is without complaints but for me, it was an experience of a lifetime.

Edited by texasmaven

I booked with Ramses tours May 26, 2010 for the two day tour to the pyramids and Cairo area. I was extremly pleased with the whole experience. They will take you to all the places listed in the tour but we opted to spend more time at the pyramids and the Oberoi hotel. I strongly suggest you spend the extra $30.00 and book the Oberoi as it is a destination in itself. President Obama stayed at the hotel last year. Here is a quote about hotel:

This palatial hotel in the shadow of the Great Pyramids in Cairo has enchanted guests since 1869. Located in forty acres of jasmine scented gardens, Mena House Oberoi has played host to kings and emperors, Heads of State and celebrities. Its royal history is reflected in luxurious interiors that are embellished with exquisite antiques, handcrafted furniture and rich textiles. A variety of international as well as Egyptian cuisine is on offer at the excellent restaurants and bars in the hotel. This is the perfect place to begin your explorations of Cairo.

We did not get a room in the main hotel that overlooked the pyramids but we stayed in the garden annex which was a joyful experience. We had a balcony overlooking the pool and gardens and it was a deluxe hotel room.

They give you a wonderful breakfast in their restaurant that overlooks the pyramids included in your fare. We ate dinner at the restaurant and it was a nice meal. We did not eat at the expensive restaurants. Just walking around the hotel is an experience. They give a tour daily at 5 p.m.

and I suggest you take the tour. We also went to the sound and light show and it was well worth the time and money. I would say it is a not to miss show. The camel ride was the highlight of our visit to the pyramids.

We paid for this ourselves and it was $15.00 each as our guide did not bargain very much but it was worth the price and we did tip the camel guide as he took great pictures of us. The felluca ride was nice and the Mosque was beautiful but I would skip all of that and spend my time near the pyramids and hotel. If you want to be brougt to all the sites listed in the tour your guide will bring you there but it will be hectic trying to see it all. Sakara is well worth the time to visit.

The value of the whole tour was so reasonable. The guide was waiting for us as we got off the ship and the driver was not far away. The guide was with us and the driver was always waiting for us and was an excellent driver as traffic in Cairo is chaotic. I suggest you take the tour with travelers you know. I went with my two daughters and son in law and we agreed on what we wanted to do and see. Others on the ship told me about going with 8 others from the ship and having to sit in the last row of the van the whole trip. You also have to decide where you want to go and not go and that is not easy with that many people.

Ramses provided us with a nice van with plenty room for the four of us and it was air conditioned.

I would be happy to answer any questions as there is much more I could tell you. No tour is without complaints but for me, it was an experience of a lifetime.

Thank You for your post!! We have booked with Ramses for November! We have been debating about the Oberoi, think that is the route we will go.

Another question (s)....

We are taking the overnight with just the 2 of us,(for the reason you mentioned above) anyone else ever take that tour with just 2? Thinking we can cover a lot more territory:D

Did you go to the Khan el-Khalili market, as this is one of our major destinations....lastly, did you go to the pyramids the first day or the second morning??

Thanks!!!

Thank You for your post!! We have booked with Ramses for November! We have been debating about the Oberoi, think that is the route we will go.

Another question (s)....

We are taking the overnight with just the 2 of us,(for the reason you mentioned above) anyone else ever take that tour with just 2? Thinking we can cover a lot more territory:D

Did you go to the Khan el-Khalili market, as this is one of our major destinations....lastly, did you go to the pyramids the first day or the second morning??

Thanks!!!

With 2 people you can definitely move quickly!

One thing I will caution you about: decide IN ADVANCE and tell your guide if you have any interest in papyrus, Egyptian cotton, or essences (perfumes). Every guide from every company will assume you want to see these and will take you to them. We personally were interested in the papyrus, but we didn't tell our guide "no" on the perfumes until after we'd spent at least 1/2 hour with them going thru their info/pitch. We politely left and then let the guide know we weren't interested in the cotton. These 3 items are big sellers in Egypt, so the guides routinely include them on their itineraries.

If you ARE interested in any of the 3, your guide will take you to good, reputable places. And be sure to bargain - even the posted prices are negotiable. We went to another perfume place with our Uniworld tour a few days later, and even though they said they couldn't negotiate, we managed to get them to throw in a nice perfume bottle and room diffuser.

And if you are using a credit card, check the price before you sign - one place we went to added a 3% "bank processing fee" to the agreed-upon price. No other places had done that, so when we challenged them they refunded it. No big deal, but I think a few people in our group didn't realize it and paid it.

Be prepared at the market for a lot of people bugging you to come look, come buy. For me that was part of the fun, but after a while my sig. other started geting annoyed LOL. And remember to bargain like crazy: I bought a medium sized set of the glass perfume bottles and an inlaid wood box. The guy started at $200 American, and I ended up paying $40 (and I could have/probably should have gotten it for $30 but my SO was getting hungry and wanted to go eat).

We are also looking at going with Ramses tours. How did you pay them at the end? In US$..and if so, did you carry all that money with you for the two day tour? I'm not sure I want to carry all that cash.

Thanks for your help.

We are also looking at going with Ramses tours. How did you pay them at the end? In US$..and if so, did you carry all that money with you for the two day tour? I'm not sure I want to carry all that cash.

Thanks for your help.

Ciana, I've been talking with Ramses about a tour, and brought up just that concern. They would like US Dollars or Euros at the conclusion of the tour.

They've also given me the option of paying them in cash at the start of the tour, so that the tour guide becomes responsible for the money, or waiting until we return to the ship and retrieving the cash from our stateroom. They will also accept traveler's checks, but that requires accompanying them to a bank to have them cashed, and a 4% surcharge.

Thanks for your help.

We only did a 1 day, but we didn't want to carry all the cash with us all day so when we got back to our hotel Dave waited with the guide in the lobby while I ran upstairs to get the cash. They prefer U.S. cash.

Our driver also picked up the cartouches we'd ordered while we were in the museum, and we paid him after we'd reviewed them and were happy with them.

Hi,

We are on the Navigator of the Seas in Sept. and am looking forward to our overnight already booked with Ramses. I have a question for any previous RCCL cruises that my TA brought up. I have read this entire 7 page post and didn't see the following addressed:

How are the Egyptian visas handled on board ship (if they are taken care of on the ship)?

Is there a line for the stamp the morning we dock or is it handled some other way? How much was it? Could it be put on your onboard account or only cash, right then?

Thanks for your replies --

ChesterBid

Hi,

We are on the Navigator of the Seas in Sept. and am looking forward to our overnight already booked with Ramses. I have a question for any previous RCCL cruises that my TA brought up. I have read this entire 7 page post and didn't see the following addressed:

How are the Egyptian visas handled on board ship (if they are taken care of on the ship)?

Is there a line for the stamp the morning we dock or is it handled some other way? How much was it? Could it be put on your onboard account or only cash, right then?

Thanks for your replies --

ChesterBid

This thread should help answer most of your questions.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1008588&highlight=egypt+visa

The ship generally provides the visa in advance of docking. You will have to turn in your passport at some point in advance of your arrival in Egypt and will pick it up usually the afternoon before you make port.

Princess did not charge anything for the quick stay visa. I'm not sure what Royal Caribbean's policy might be.

Hi - FLYING BROOMSTICK - Thanks for posting your experience with Ramses Tours. We are taking the 12 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas on 09/05 and would love to hear any further information you may have to share. What did people wear on these excursions? Are "long" shorts o.k. for men? Capris for women o.k.? We want to be comfortable but not stand out like a sloppy tourist. Does the Ramses tour stop along the way to Cairo from Alexandria or is it a straight 3 hour ride?

If anyone has information on this itinerary they would like to share, I can be reached at joannecalhoun@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Edited by Faloon
forgot to bring it to the attention of correct person

Hi - Thanks for posting your experience with Ramses Tours. We are taking the 12 day cruise on Navigator of the Seas on 09/05 and would love to hear any further information you may have to share. What did people wear on these excursions? Are "long" shorts o.k. for men? Capris for women o.k.? We want to be comfortable but not stand out like a sloppy tourist. Does the Ramses tour stop along the way to Cairo from Alexandria or is it a straight 3 hour ride?

If anyone has information on this itinerary they would like to share, I can be reached at joannecalhoun@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Hi Joanne.....we're on the Navigator Oct 11th and also would like to hear others' experiences with this itinerary. :)

Can anybody tell me if there are any restaurants around the Oberoi hotel to have dinner? Or do you recommend staying at the hotel?

Hi, Beach,

I wrote an e-mail to the Mena Oberoi Hotel Manager and asked to be e-mailed or snail-mailed the menus. Never got a reply. Then, I asked George. Usually, George is very prompt at replying; haven't heard from him either. There are 12 of us in our Ramses Group.

You would think that businessmen would be interested in selling their restaurants to a group of Americans, Canadians, & Ozzies. Also, it is strange that a 5-Star hotel does not have menus on their website.

Does anybody have any menus from Mena Oberoi Hotel restaurants? Thanks in advance.

:D:D:(:D:D

Hi, Beach,

I wrote an e-mail to the Mena Oberoi Hotel Manager and asked to be e-mailed or snail-mailed the menus. Never got a reply. Then, I asked George. Usually, George is very prompt at replying; haven't heard from him either. There are 12 of us in our Ramses Group.

You would think that businessmen would be interested in selling their restaurants to a group of Americans, Canadians, & Ozzies. Also, it is strange that a 5-Star hotel does not have menus on their website.

Does anybody have any menus from Mena Oberoi Hotel restaurants? Thanks in advance.

:D:D:(:D

Thanks, Crown Prince....We're trying to decide if we want to do the dinner cruise or just relax at the hotel. I can't make up my mind!:p Let me know if you ever hear back from George or the restaurant. You can always email me at cpa laura t at verizon dot net. (no spaces) Thanks!:)

Can anyone tell us about the cartouches? I understand that the tours all have vendors who take orders on the first day and pick them up on the return to the ship.

What kinds of prices can we expect to pay and did they accept US$? I want to make sure that we carry enough cash with us to cover shopping as well as the tours.

Thanks

Armed guards are required by the government on large buses but we only had a group of 9 people so we didn't have to have one and I did not feel unsafe as our guide told us what to expect everywhere we went. Our guide just had to check in with the tourism police at certain stops and tell them we made it back to the ship in plenty of time (you don't have to worry about missing the ship on this one because the government holds your guide accountable if you do).

I am confused about the requirement of armed guards, you say you did need a guard because you were on a small tour, but when I ask Ramses about our small group of 8 they sent me a copy and paste (below) which seems to indicate that we will not have an option here, and the gov will tell us what we need (which is fine). Can anybody clear this up for me so I quit confusing my poor tour group?

Thanks...

Safety: Egypt is a safe destination.

Crime in Egypt nearly does not exist. Security is good and there are specially trained Tourist Police

The buses move in convoys for protection. The Egyptian government take so much care of the tourism as it is the national source of income in Egypt. the tourist in Egypt is VIP person So the Egyptian police (not the ship) provide police cars, security, guards around all the buses This service is not by the ship or Ramses tours its provided for all the tourists that arrive to Egypt, make organized tours.

Can anyone tell us about the cartouches? I understand that the tours all have vendors who take orders on the first day and pick them up on the return to the ship.

What kinds of prices can we expect to pay and did they accept US$? I want to make sure that we carry enough cash with us to cover shopping as well as the tours. Thanks

I clicked on an ad in cruise critic and found this one. How unusual that they sell "souvenirs." http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.moustafaegypttours.com/aboutus/about.html

Welcome to Moustafa Egypt Tours Shopping - In order to maximize your vacation experience in Egypt, we arranged to provide you with the most popular Egyptian souvenirs available. Instead of spending precious time in traffic jams or haggling with persistent shopkeepers, we made your shopping experience more convenient and time efficient. In addition, we are offering the most popular souvenirs at substantially lower prices because we have been able to obtain them at close to wholesale prices.

Moustafa Egypt Tours Shopping, contains a selection of authentic Egyptian-made souvenirs and jewelry, rugs and spices, as well as T- and Polo shirts, bed sheets, towels, and napkins, made in Egypt from 100% Egyptian cotton. How to Order:

1- Review the collection, and make your choices.

2- Fill out the “Shopping” form in the “CONTACT US” Section

3- Send your Email to us.

How to Pick Up your Order:

Your selected items will be ready for you upon your arrival.

How to Pay for your Order:

You may pay for your selection in cash when you receive your item(s). What if I Decide not to Purchase the Item: “No Problem” with respect to low cost items. You may reject the item or select another from available inventory during your tour. However, since we are not a conventional retailer of these souvenirs, and we only offer this service to our clients to help them efficiently enjoy their precious time in Egypt, we request that you honor your decision to purchase the items you requested. We reserve the right to request advanced full payment prior to your arrival for certain high priced items. We are aware of your need to spend your precious time in viewing Egypt’s rich treasures and culture, as well as possessing a few memories of your trip to Egypt. We will continue to work hard to make your visit to Egypt as memorable and pleasant as possible.

CARTOUCHES & JEWELRY - Cartouches = $35 to $ $2364 USD

PAPYRUS - $20 to $96 USD

RUGS (KILIMS) - $59 to $188 USD

SPICES

$20: Black Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, Curry, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon (50 grams each) Pack of 6.

$35: Black Pepper, Cumin, Oregano, Curry, Bay Leaves, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Ginger, Sesame, Saffron, Carnation, Red Pepper (50 grams each) Pack of 12.

MOTHER of PEARL BOXES - $29 to $40 USD

I am confused about the requirement of armed guards, you say you did need a guard because you were on a small tour, but when I ask Ramses about our small group of 8 they sent me a copy and paste (below) which seems to indicate that we will not have an option here, and the gov will tell us what we need (which is fine). Can anybody clear this up for me so I quit confusing my poor tour group?

Thanks...

Safety:Egypt is a safe destination.

Crime in Egypt nearly does not exist. Security is good and there are specially trained Tourist Police

The buses move in convoys for protection. The Egyptian government take so much care of the tourism as it is the national source of income in Egypt. the tourist in Egypt is VIP person So the Egyptian police (not the ship) provide police cars, security, guards around all the buses This service is not by the ship or Ramses tours its provided for all the tourists that arrive to Egypt, make organized tours.

It seems to me, based on our experiences, that what the information in green refers to is the large convoy that accompanies all tour buses (and I assume private cars) enroute from your port of entry to Cairo.

I do not think it is referring to a personal armed guard who will stay with your individual tour.

It seems to me, based on our experiences, that what the information in green refers to is the large convoy that accompanies all tour buses (and I assume private cars) enroute from your port of entry to Cairo.

I do not think it is referring to a personal armed guard who will stay with your individual tour.

Thanks Cynthia, I appreciate your experience and willingness to share info.

Thanks, Crown Prince....We're trying to decide if we want to do the dinner cruise or just relax at the hotel. I can't make up my mind!:p Let me know if you ever hear back from George or the restaurant. You can always email me at cpa laura t at verizon dot net. (no spaces) Thanks!:)

There is also the option to pay $40 for dinner at the bazaar and combine dinner with shopping.

Kathy