America's Cup Challenge. Anyone disappointed or regret doing this excursion?

Crystalcat

I don't know your plans for St.Thomas but you can also do it there, so you have a choice, St. Martin or St.Thomas. :)

Maybe it's another company, but I thought the one in St Thomas was IOR boats or bigger J boats. Also fun, but not the same history. I'm digging through old boxes trying to find my America 3 (cubed) cap the father of one of the grinders gave me. She had these awesome 2K erging times too!!

• 3 months later...

we went on this and loved it. you can do as little or as much as you want to help in the sailing but this is meant to be a more hands on experience and not so much a sit back and watch the sites tour. if you arent really interested in helping aspect of it then you would be better off on one of the catamans/sailing/snorkle excursions.

this tour is set up to give you a taste of what racing a sailboat is all about. we actually learned some stuff about tweeking and fine tuning the sails and performance to use on our own boat. :)

According to the website the age limit is 12 yo. Do they hold true to this?

They (the company) requests that children under 12 have some sailing experience, but they don't enforce it. If you book through your cruiseline, they will NOT let someone under 12 even sign up for it.

Doing this for the 4th time at the end of the month. My all time favorite excursion. Other that that, I don't particularly care for the island. (and yes we have done other things. It is physical, challenging and competetive. Loved it!

We did this just last week, and the three of us (me, husband and a friend) enjoyed it a lot. I will say, though, that I decided not to be an active participant. I was designated the "bartender" and passed out water occasionally. Husband and friend had active positions, and both regretted that they were so busy that they didn't really get to see much of the race. I, however, sat there and enjoyed everything. I recommend taking a less active position for the benefit of experiencing the sailing and the scenery.

My family and I did this excursion in 2006. I think that I was a little disappointed after reading so many reviews back then, which said that it was amazing. Two of us enjoyed it, while two of us did not. For some of the folks, it's really hard work. You also need to enjoy sailing. If you've been to the island before, it's a different option to try.

One of the best excursions we ever took. Did this 2 years ago on a beautiful sunny, very windy day. My wife was a winch wench and I was a main grinder. I was spent when we were done and I consider myself in pretty good shape-I'm a firefighter and a runner. If you want to relax and enjoy the scenery you can be a batender or don't do anything. We raced against 2 other boats and really flew! It seemed that we were going to go deep and take water we were going so fast. The crew really know how to maneuver the boats so it seems you're going to collide sometimes. I imagine the quality of the trip really depends on the weather.

• 11 months later...
Can you do this excursion without booking through the cruise ship's excursion desk?

Ontario Cruiser

Unfortunately, no if you're visiting the island on a cruise. Yes if you're on a land based vacation. But then cruisers scheduled times take precidence.

Archived