Disappointed with upgrade

Kittycatwlv

Sorry - first you were upset because your friends recieved upgrades to cabins worth more money than what you paid for yours. Then you were upset because you are now separated from them spatially. It's not like they've delivered a personal affront to you, which I think you may be taking it as. Rather, a computer, running through a list of passengers, made the selection.

Princess owes you nothing. It's a business, not your best friend, and that goes for first-time cruisers as well as the most elite. If you recieve perks now and then, well, that's a happy surprise, isn't it?

You're posting here that everyone is wrong if they have a difference of opinion with you. What exactly ARE you looking for? Because your threat to cancel and all move to another line isn't causing the folks at Princess any lost sleep.

If you are Elite on Princess, as you say you are, then I am guessing you've had more than one happy, acceptable, perfectly fine cruise with them. Why let this very minor, trivial incident spoil that? If you want to move lines, that's certainly your right, and more power to you if you think that will solve the situation. I just hope the line you move everyone to doesn't slight you come upgrade time either...

If only you could read, I never used the word coward, not even once. To other posters who said be grateful i can cruise several times a year I reply, If I'm smart enough to make my business work why should I feel bad?

You're not going to win any friends or gain any sympathy to your plight by posting remarks like 'if only you could read'.

Absolutely uncalled for.

You missed the whole point. It's about being separated by four decks from our friends and the lack of loyalty. We didn't book specific cabins I took three GTY's and asked we placed together on the same deck, not a demanding request by any means. I would be happy with the category I booked if we were together

When you book multiple cabins under GTY you have NO expectation of getting them together, or on the same deck, or on the same end of the ship - that's part of the definition of GTY bookings; I'd expect that an accomplished cruiser would be aware of this.

I doubt that re-entering the TBA pool will improve your locations.

Take your business elswhere and potentially have the same experience. Princess will re-sell your cabins. ken

500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual.

I, for one, don't usually post to reitterate something that's already been said. But since you seem to be under the (mistaken) impression that people that view and don't post agree with you--that is not necessarily the case. I strongly second the poster that asked what it was about the word guarantee that you don't understand. When you book a guarantee cabin, you get what you get (and you don't throw a fit). I hope that others that view this post will learn this lesson--you seem unwilling to.

If only you could read, I never used the word coward, not even once. To other posters who said be grateful i can cruise several times a year I reply, If I'm smart enough to make my business work why should I feel bad?

But you did say the following:

"500 people read this post but only a few responded. that speaks loudly that people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual."

I would interpret that as calling people cowards.

I have been in sales and customer service for more than 35 years, and I have become painfully aware that many people have this sense of entitlement, or "me first." Courtesy, common sense, respect...they are disappearing from everyday life.

I make my business work by being polite, respectful, attentive. That doesn't mean I have to say "yes" to every wish, regardless of consequences.

If I book a GTY, I am telling the cruise line that I am willing to accept ANY stateroom in my GTY category or above. That's it...done...finished...end of rant.

You missed the whole point. It's about being separated by four decks from our friends and the lack of loyalty. We didn't book specific cabins I took three GTY's and asked we placed together on the same deck, not a demanding request by any means. I would be happy with the category I booked if we were together

You have totally missed the point. I don't want or care about an upgrade, I want to be on the same deck as my friends. I took an obstructed ocean view and and asked to be put back from the unobstructed ocean view to be near friends. I asked to be downgraded!!!!!!!!! All I want is to be on the same deck. I was able to bring Princess four new cruisers because of their GTY prices, had i taken a cabin assignment (there were none in their teaser rate HH) they wouldn't have gotten any business at all. You guys are such good cheer leaders but what Princess really needs is someone with business sense to run a business because it is a business after all.

I have not missed the point and I most certainly have run a business and a large one.

With you being "elite" you should have known GTY policies and a whole lot more.

Think I agree with Toto.

THE END.

Jack

for the lovely

I read quite well thank you. Perhaps I summarized, but your exact words were "people are afraid to speak their mind because of all the support for the cruise line and little for the individual". I guess I interpreted that as being a "coward". I really don't think that it was a stretch. :D

Oh and no one said that you should feel "bad", they said that you should be "grateful".

There is one thing I'm having a hard time understanding. What's the big difference if you are on the same deck but at two opposite ends or on different decks? Can't you all meet up at a central location?

Could understand if you had balcony's and wanted to be all together side by side......but really can't understand what the big deal is:confused:

If the guaranty cabins are assigned by a computer - how does the computer know who is a first timer and who is a veteran?

Evidently there must be some input from Princess employees.

Kitty

You are not going to win on the gty front. I can always find sympathy even if I have to look for it between sh!t and syphilis in the dictionary.

This time the dictionary won't even open, it just not there:eek:. On the other front I am often amaze when I read you are lucky to be on a cruise. To me it's not luck but making it a priority. To be blessed with good health to be doing it is something else. Sometimes disappoint is for good and change can be a wonderful thing. RCCL has some of the most stunning ships ever made. They have the sweet sounds of Bob Marley by the pool and staff that is funny and heart warming.

Before long someone is going to come along and state something horrible about what 'THEY' say about booking gty. Someone already reported on what "WE" in the business know:eek:

I didn't post because I agreed with what everyone was saying. I am sorry but I feel you are wrong. I think you are upset your friends got a better cabin than you. If I were taking first time cruisers I would be thrilled if they got something better than me. If I was you I would cancel and rebook another cruise because I am sure you will be negative and it wouldn't be fair to your friends.

If you wanted specific cabins together you should have booked that way.

Life is short so don't waste engery being negative!

I don't think you are going to find an answer here that suits you...I am just grateful to be on the ship...If you're not next door to your friends is it really that big of a deal???

Kittycatwlv,

I'm sorry this happened to you. I guess sometimes it's the luck of the draw. Perhaps if you were to book 2 or more rooms together again, tell Princess or whoever you booked with that you do not wish to be considered for an upgrade.

I don't think you should cancel because you deserve to have a nice vacation! It's not worth it to give up an entire trip because of the stateroom situtation even though it is very frustrating.

First, I think it is time for the Host of the Board to lock this thread. OP's "vent" has been well raked over the coals.

Second, booking a GTY does not always get you a better price. We just booked a Mexican cruise on the Sapphire. Balcony cabins from BC down to BF were all the same price. Cabins were available in all those categories except BF which was GTY only. We chose to book GTY in BC......no special price break (we could have picked our cabin at booking). We always book GTY and have ALWAYS been happy with our cabin assignment. Usually we end up in the category we paid for......which is the case this time.

Third, why is it so necessary to be close to your friends. The ships are not that big. Sometimes it is nice to have a bit of space from those you are traveling with, there are times that the ships get smaller as they days go by. It really does sound like the OP is throwing a tantrum. I would be so incredibly happy if I convinced friends to travel and they got upgraded. OP you have pocketed the referral fee which is a very nice perk. You are elite so you have super perks there too. Someday we dream to have those extra perks.

Fourth, I am one of those who had thought it not necessary to post since everything has been covered soooooo many times.

Relax and enjoy your cruise. I sure hope "throwing" yourself back into the GTY pool gets you what you want.

Yes I did. They said i could pay $410 PP to join my friends on deck 8 which I found insulting. Most business' need and want repeat customers but apparently Princess doesn't. I had them throw me back into the GTY pool giving up that undesirable deck in hopes to get reassigned near my friends. I'll see what happens before i make any decisions to cancel and book elsewhere. I'm Diamond plus on RCL and Elite on Celebrity and a middle tier on HAL so I have options. My disappointment is that Princess does not value an Elite member and not just that but an Elite member bringing them four new cruisers, it doesn't get better then that for any business in these economic times. I want loyalty to go both ways that's not to much to ask.
Cat Kitty pay the $410.00 and get it over with. You book the GTY and you take your chances. You won't find much sympathy here as you can see.

Dumb question, but what does it mean when one books via a GTY?

And sometimes I see people post about a DH...what does that stand for?

Sorry, new to all this terminology as I just joined CC less than a month ago.

Dumb question, but what does it mean when one books via a GTY?

And sometimes I see people post about a DH...what does that stand for?

Sorry, new to all this terminology as I just joined CC less than a month ago.

GTY is a guarentee. You book a category, but not a specific cabin. You will have a cabin on the ship, but it may be awhle before you know which one. In the case of this thread, OP (Original Poster),booked 3 guarenteed cabin in the same category. OP got a cabin on deck 4 while the other two cabins were on deck 8. I presume you know the rest of the sad story.

DH is Dear (or darling or Dumb) Husband. DW would be wife, DS & DD = son & daughter.

GTY is a guarentee. You book a category, but not a specific cabin. You will have a cabin on the ship, but it may be awhle before you know which one. In the case of this thread, OP (Original Poster),booked 3 guarenteed cabin in the same category. OP got a cabin on deck 4 while the other two cabins were on deck 8. I presume you know the rest of the sad story.

DH is Dear (or darling or Dumb) Husband. DW would be wife, DS & DD = son & daughter.

Ah, thank you paul929207! You have come to my rescue yet again. Didn't even know there was such a thing as GTY...I usually book through Princess and request which category on whichever deck. Haha, I'm picky.

A guarantee cabin is a cabin anywhere on the ship that's either the same category that you booked or higher. You got exactly what you booked. There are no "points missed" here. You might not have gotten exactly what you wanted, but you're not guaranteed that.

I would be happy for my friends with their upgrade and not be so concerened about mine. Geeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz you are going to be there to have fun and already, as far as I can see, you have really put a damper on the cruise from the get go!!! Just get over it and have fun!!!!!

If this is true, then have Princess move the other 2 cabins down to your deck 5. They won't have an issue with that. You sound like you just asked them to move you up. If you want to be together (and that's truly your only gripe), I'm sure Princess would be happy to move your friends down to your deck. Your friends, however may not be so happy with you.

Good luck.

I can understand Kittycatwlv's disappointment. When you are elite, and bring four new passengers onto a cruise ship, it is hard to accept that the new passengers get a much nicer upgrade than you do. I agree with Kittycatwlv, that loyalty to a cruiseline should be rewarded. I think the more you have cruised, the more frequent and better the upgrades should be.

Unfortunately, it just doesn't usually work that way. I don't agree with it, but I understand why it seems that Princess upgrades new cruisers more often than loyal cruisers. They want the new cruisers to see a great cruise and cabin in the hope that they will become repeat cruisers. What better way to get a new repeat customer than to give them a nicer cabin than they booked. They'll think the cruiseline may do it in the future as well. I don't agree with it, I just understand it.

I have never been upgraded, and don't imagine I ever will be. I guess I lost my best chance on my first Princess cruise, since I wasn't upgraded then. As I have cruised a bit now, I have learned which locations I like better on the ship, and now once I book my cabin, if I am happy with the location I was able to get, I mark it no upgrades. I don't think guarantees are a good way to go if you have any preferences at all, such as being together. With a guarantee, you just have to take a chance on whatever you get.

I do like the perks Princess gives for Platinum and Elite. I will be Platinum after my next cruise, look forward to those perks, and will book future cruises with Princess. However, giving nicer and more frequent upgrades to new cruisers does bother me just a tiny bit. So, I will also continue to look into and book other cruiselines as well. I will choose based on itinerary and price. Some loyalty due to perks, but not complete loyalty.

Archived