Is Eden Rock safe for kids?

daynab

We have been to GC several times and have been to 7MB and done the stingray tour. Looking for some nice shore snorkeling. We don't want to pack equipment, so we need facilities. We have a 9 and 11 year old. Is Eden Rock reasonable for us? Do I need water shoes?

If your kids are strong swimmers, they should be fine. We were there the other day, and there were about a dozen kids hanging out swimming. It's really deep, though, and you enter the water by ladder, so you can't touch bottom at all. Also, the reef is quite a distance from shore, so that might be an issue if you're actually snorkeling.

I would highly recommend water shoes. DH said there were a lot of urchins just below the ladder and he was glad he had shoes on.

The closest beach is 7 Mile Beach which starts about a mile from the tender pier. You would need to take a taxi to a area of 7 Mile called Cemetery Beach if you want to snorkel from shore. No facilities or snorkel gear at Cemetery Beach.

Another area to snorkel is between Sea Grape and the Marriott beach club. The snorkling is not great but you will see fish. Full facilities at both places.

Toggle down this website to Grand Cayman for pics of the places I mention.

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/zc_cruise_page.htm

We snorkeled at Eden Rock when our daughter was 10 years old. We had our own snorkeling equipment including fins. We rented snorkel vests from Eden Rock dive shop. The reef is maybe 200-300 feet from the ladder where you get into the water. I stayed with her - we held hands when we were far out in the water to stay with each other. She did fine, but it would have been very hard to swim without the fins. It would have been especially hard to swim with water shoes! My daughter loved looking at the reef, but I would not have been comfortable with her being on her own out there. Just be careful and consider whether they are up to it. It WAS beautiful!!

What time does the Eden Rock Dive Shop open to rent fins & vests? We want to snorkel for an hour before our stingray excursion and our ship is scheduled to tender about 7:00am (which would be 6:00 GC time). Does anyone know if we will be able to rent that early?

Archived