Star Princess Questions

magictam

I’m so close to my first Princess cruise (8/30/09) and am so excited. I’ve been searching the board gathering as much information as possible, but I still have some questions.

Sanctuary:

I’ve seen the price listed from $105-120 per person/week. Does anyone have a current price?

I’m a little confused about the food service in the Sanctuary whether there is a fee or not. Should I bring cash for the tip?

Is there a bathroom in the area?

Would you recommend this area during an Alaska cruise.

Ice Cream/Scoops:

Again I’m finding conflicting information. From there’s no more free ice cream to there is no longer a fee for ice cream.

Horizon Court: Free Ice Cream for an hour in the afternoon?

Is this the soft in a machine “ice cream”

Scoops: Fee for items?

What items are available (cones, Sundays, banana splits, etc)?

Hard ice cream?

Laundry Service:

I notice from the deck plans there are plenty of areas to do self serve laundry, but not my idea of a fun time while on vacation.

Is the send out laundry service charged by the piece?

Is there a by the bag options? Cost?

Does it include ironing or is that extra (seen prices of these boards as both)

Gym:

I haven’t found too much information on the gym other than 1 review said it was awful on the Star.

Has anyone spent time in the Star gym recently?

How was the equipment?

What time does it open in the morning?

Cabin:

Blow Dryer - I thought they were a pretty standard amenity in all cabins, until I was on the Carnival Inspiration (inside cabin) and there wasn’t a blow dryer. We’ll be in a balcony cabin. Will there be a blow dryer in the room? How powerful is it?

Beds – are they new or old. I like an old, soft, worn in mattress. Will I need to request an egg crate? I asked for one on the Inspiration and the steward didn’t have a clue to what I was asking for. He was kind enough to put a bed spread under the sheet for a little extra padding.

Thank you for making it through these many, many questions. Especially thank you for any answers you can provide.

Tammie

It's been a long time since we were on the star, but I might be able to help a little:

1. Laundry bag special - you usually see these on cruises 10 days or longer. Not sure if they have them on shorter cruises. Cost is $15-$20 for everything you can fit into a laundry bag. It's amazing how much will fit! I've done this several times and been very pleased. You give it to your room steward in the morning and get it back the next afternoon, sometimes after 5pm. On the Emerald in 2008 we had this twice on a 10-day cruise.

2. Hair dryer - I've never been on a Princess ship that didn't have a hair dryer. They might not be the best I've ever used, but they're usable and saves having to travel with one.

3. Ice Cream - Used to be in the afternoons at the Horizon Court, but I think this has changed within the last couple of months.

4. Gym - One of the Princess ships had their gym in what seemed like a basement, no good views like in the others. That might have been the Star, had treadmills, ellipticals etc, but kind of close together. Don't remember when they opened/closed.

I've never used the Sanctuary or asked for an egg crate.

The Star has been recently refurbished through drydock and if I recall correctly it included new machines for the Gym. The beds are firm, so if you like soft get an eggcrate by faxing your request to Princess. The sanctuary is useful depending on the weather. Check the expected temps a few days before your cruise and use the information to make your decision. I wouldn't pay extra for sanctuary if it was going to be chilly. Ice cream has changed, there is now free soft serve ice cream so no longer any "scoops" or horizon court icecream, but you can still get real icecream in the dining room at lunch and dinner.

Have a wonderful time.

Tammie, we were on the Star in June. She is beautiful.

1. We did not visit the sanctuary, but it does seem like it would be a good place for viewing Alaska. And yes, there is a bathroom in the area.

2. Ice Cream: the only thing that I can tell you for certain is that during the afternoon there is free soft serve ice cream in Scoops. I personally did not see it in Horizon Court. I am sorry that I can't tell you if it is available at other times, we didn't visit during other times.

3. Gym: the gym has good equipment. My husband only made it once because it was always VERY crowded and the machines were all busy. I don't recall what time they opened. I'm thinking that it was early maybe 5 or 6???

4. Cabin: The balcony cabins do have blow dryers, but they are not very powerful. I use it just because I think that it is better than packing my own, but I did hear many complaints that it was not very powerful. But it worked for me.

The bed that we had, left little to be desired, to me it was too worn in. We requested an egg crate after the first night and that helped a little. We had friends in other cabins and they had no complaints, so it might just be the luck of the draw.

We really enjoyed our week on the Star and I am sure that you will as well. Have a great time!!

The Sanctuary was $20 for the full at-sea days, $10 for the port half days. Depending when you are going, you might enjoy this if kids bother you. Last week, the Star was loaded with kids, but they were having a great time and I enjoyed watching them. Made me jealous that I had to wait until I was a full-grown adult with a steady income before I could cruise.

Scoops serves soft-serve only, chocolate, vanilla or swirl, and has assorted sprinkles you can add yourself. :D It is located on deck 14 - same as Horizon Court - but I can't remember if it's in the indoor pool section or the outdoor pool section. It's opposite the hamburger joint. I enjoyed the occasional chocolate cone. You can also get it in a cup. Hours are 11am-6pm. They no longer have their "ice cream hour" in the actual Horizon Court buffet. Hard ice cream is on the menu in the dining rooms, both for lunch and dinner. If you really want ice cream, order the Volcano. It's not on the menu, but be prepared to eat a huge banana split. No charge for any of the items listed above.

Ah, the beds were pretty hard and by no means new. I had an egg crate added after the first night, which made it tolerable. Would have needed two it I was a side-sleeper, of course that depends on the age of your hips!

My husband really enjoyed the gym. It was pretty big, but the ship is so huge, everything is really big to accommodate the amount of passengers. I have no idea why time it opened. I had difficulty dragging myself out of bed for the early ports. My all time favorite statement was the day we were in the Tracy Arm. A gentleman was complaining that this wife dragged him out of bed the view ice cubes floating in the water!

Blow dryer was pretty mediocre, but did the job. I managed to make it work as a trade off to not having to pack one.

I was on the Star last week. My first time on one of the "large" ships. I truly loved it. Still found myself going in the wrong direction on the last day. Those darned restaurants that require you to take a certain elevator will drive you nuts. Same thing goes for the Skywalker lounge, but it was pretty cool.

Feel free to ask me more questions.

Just off the Star July 12 and the ship was excellent. DH liked the gym, and I saw it myself - lots of good equipment and window views. The treadmills were always busy though. There are TV screens on each too.

The hairdryer will be above the desk in your room. Not powerful, but it worked ok for me, and I have long hair.

The bed was really hard, and I neglected to request an eggcrate this time. The only time it really bothered me was after my muscles were aching from rowing our canoe to Mendenhall Glacier!

You will love the cruise through Tracy Arm. We had a sunny warm day - a photographer's dream...get up as early as you can and don't miss a minute of it.

The new Piazza area on the ship is fun - performers, Vines for wine, the International Cafe - great coffees, sandwiches, salads, etc. and good cookies.

Loved the Skywalker's Lounge too. Great views. Watch what elevator you take though...you've got to take one that goes to Deck 17 and then a moving sidewalk takes you to Deck 18 into Skywalkers. It was a great place to be at sail-away from your last port of Skagway.

Have a great time.

Cindy

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to help me out.

I know I'll be asking for an eggcrate or two, cuz as 4_the_Halibut points out these older hips needs softness.

I'm so looking forward to this cruise and y'all have helped me tremendously with my packing and planning.

Thanks again!

Magictam,

Ask for the eggcrate mattress pads as soon as you see your steward. They run out fast, usually by the next day, and you will probably want one! If they do run out, ask the steward for a folded blanket or two under the bottom sheet. They are used to doing that when the eggcrates run out.

The gym is pretty good. Lots of equipment and beautiful floor to ceiling views forward. Very busy in the early am. I usually go about 5:00 PM, when most people are either sunned out, or getting ready for dinner, or at "cocktail hour. Hardly anyone in the gym at this time. Makes one very hungry by dinner time, which is a good thing on a cruise!

There are free large sauna and steam rooms, plus showers in the "Changing rooms" of the Lotus Spa. Just go in and use. The steam room is especialy nice. Showers with soap right there for afterwards. (Not co-ed.)

The pools are freshwater and magnificent.

Sometimes just a very slight change in routine from the majority of the passengers can result in what feels like an empty ship!

I have done a Mex Riviera and 17 day Trans-Atlantic on the Star and loved her!

We sail on the Star Aug. 9th! Can't wait!!

Princess gave me a fax # to request an egg crate for our bed ahead of time.

661-753-0121 Attn. Carole Ohanesian

I, too, really appreciate all the info I've gotten from these boards!

I would still love to see the patters from a recent Star cruise to Alaska, if anyone has them.

Thanks,

Glenda

(miataat40)

I’m so close to my first Princess cruise (8/30/09) and am so excited. I’ve been searching the board gathering as much information as possible, but I still have some questions.

Sanctuary:

I’ve seen the price listed from $105-120 per person/week. Does anyone have a current price?

I’m a little confused about the food service in the Sanctuary whether there is a fee or not. Should I bring cash for the tip?

Is there a bathroom in the area?

Would you recommend this area during an Alaska cruise.

Ice Cream/Scoops:

Again I’m finding conflicting information. From there’s no more free ice cream to there is no longer a fee for ice cream.

Horizon Court: Free Ice Cream for an hour in the afternoon?

Is this the soft in a machine “ice cream”

Scoops: Fee for items?

What items are available (cones, Sundays, banana splits, etc)?

Hard ice cream?

Laundry Service:

I notice from the deck plans there are plenty of areas to do self serve laundry, but not my idea of a fun time while on vacation.

Is the send out laundry service charged by the piece?

Is there a by the bag options? Cost?

Does it include ironing or is that extra (seen prices of these boards as both)

Gym:

I haven’t found too much information on the gym other than 1 review said it was awful on the Star.

Has anyone spent time in the Star gym recently?

How was the equipment?

What time does it open in the morning?

Cabin:

Blow Dryer - I thought they were a pretty standard amenity in all cabins, until I was on the Carnival Inspiration (inside cabin) and there wasn’t a blow dryer. We’ll be in a balcony cabin. Will there be a blow dryer in the room? How powerful is it?

Beds – are they new or old. I like an old, soft, worn in mattress. Will I need to request an egg crate? I asked for one on the Inspiration and the steward didn’t have a clue to what I was asking for. He was kind enough to put a bed spread under the sheet for a little extra padding.

Thank you for making it through these many, many questions. Especially thank you for any answers you can provide.

Tammie

I was on the Star last September, the gym was forward jsut below the Bridge. The equipment; we it seemed ok to me but then again I was not expecting an NFL class gym setup. This was the last crusie just before they did a refit. We were so pleased we booked a 30 on the Star coming up in November.. Have fun

Micael

The hair dryers on Princess ships are the only thing that I dislike about Princess. I have short, thick hair, and they take forever to dry it. Because if the puny air flow, I find it difficult to style my hair to my satisfaction. To me it is worth packing my own travel dryer.

This is just a IMHO.

Bring your own dryer--there is no way to style your hair with what is available on the ships--I also bring a flat iron--(I need all the help I can get)--Luckily for some folks they don't need to work hard to style their hair and will be happy with the ships dryers.

Nancy:D

We sail on the Star Aug. 9th! Can't wait!!

Princess gave me a fax # to request an egg crate for our bed ahead of time.

661-753-0121 Attn. Carole Ohanesian

I, too, really appreciate all the info I've gotten from these boards!

I would still love to see the patters from a recent Star cruise to Alaska, if anyone has them.

Thanks,

Glenda

(miataat40)

Is that fax # & name just for the Star or for all Princess ships?

Bring your own dryer--there is no way to style your hair with what is available on the ships--I also bring a flat iron--(I need all the help I can get)--Luckily for some folks they don't need to work hard to style their hair and will be happy with the ships dryers.

Nancy:D

I brought a wet to dry flat iron. I used the cruise ship's dryer to partially dry my hair and then I flat ironed it.Worked great, cut down on weight. :)

We are on the Star in January. Would someone please tell me the configuration of the Balcony cabins on the Caribe Deck? Are they partially covered, all covered or open decks?

With many thanks

Midge

We were on the Star prior to the drydock/refurb. We had a Caribe balcony. It was wonderful. It was huge and it was partially covered. I cannot say if all Caribe balcony's are like this but surely your TA could find or or you could call Princess and ask (I know-it is hit and miss in terms of getting a CSR who knows whats what) I need this as I have a tendency towards sunstroke but still enjoy sitting on the balcany, sipping wine, and reading. We had two recliners, a chair, and a table. Bags of room. We saw the Baja bacony layout, as I recall Baja was completely exposed. If we go on the Star again, it will definately be in a Caribe balcony.

Archived