Warnemunde to Schwerin by rail.

This is really a question for Heinbloed and his insight and knowledge of DB. Four of us are arriving in Warnemunde on 2nd Aug on the Eurodam. We have decided against the lengthy journey to Berlin as we can easily do that as a city tour sometime. We intend taking the train to Schwerin via Rostock. My question basically is what ticket to get. I sem to remember Heinbloed mentioning months ago a ticket you purchase which is far cheaper than on the DB timetable. If it helps, we intend to leave the ship approx 0900-0930. Also, is the alte stadt in Rostock recommended for spending sometime as the ship doesn't depart until 2300. Many thanks in advance.

This is really a question for Heinbloed and his insight and knowledge of DB. Four of us are arriving in Warnemunde on 2nd Aug on the Eurodam. We have decided against the lengthy journey to Berlin as we can easily do that as a city tour sometime. We intend taking the train to Schwerin via Rostock. My question basically is what ticket to get. I sem to remember Heinbloed mentioning months ago a ticket you purchase which is far cheaper than on the DB timetable. If it helps, we intend to leave the ship approx 0900-0930. Also, is the alte stadt in Rostock recommended for spending sometime as the ship doesn't depart until 2300. Many thanks in advance.

August 2, 2009 is a Sunday.

So there is no time limit in the mornings.

Subject you limit yourself to use the RE-trains only (no IC-trains):

4 of you paying 26.00 EUR in 2nd class and 46.00 EUR in the 1st class for the whole day to get to Schwerin and back,

i. e. 6.50 EUR per peron is the cheapest I can offer you...

Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern

(Day Pass for the State of Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania):

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-all-destinations.html

If you want to use the tram from central station in Rostock to the city center you need additionally tram tickets or you walk 15-20 minutes.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thanks very much for the info Heinbloed. After reading your descriptions between 1st/2nd Class, 11.50 Eur pp seems a very good deal for 1st Class. I'll just have to go onto the DB website now and work out timings, to allow spending early evening in Rostock enjoying some good German beer. Thanks again.

Thanks very much for the info Heinbloed. After reading your descriptions between 1st/2nd Class, 11.50 Eur pp seems a very good deal for 1st Class. I'll just have to go onto the DB website now and work out timings, to allow spending early evening in Rostock enjoying some good German beer. Thanks again.

Here is a brewhouse-restaurant at the City Port in Rostock:

http://www.alter-fritz.de/de/gasthaeuser/rostock/index.html

BTW: is 1st class worth in Scotland on First Scot Rail???

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed,

We are going to be in Warnemunde on a Monday Aug 17, so does anything change from what you already said??

If we are just two seniors, does anything change from what you just said??

If I have this correct, we are buying the ticket in Warnemunde and not going to Rostock at all??

From this train, we go to Schwerin== direct?? , is it announced when we get there, and about how long a trip is that??. From there we can just get a a same train back and that will take us back to Warnemunde and the cruise terminal.

About how far a walk is the cruise terminal from the train station??

And one last question, we tried to get a credit card with a chip but we could not. Are we able to use any other credit card, or must we pay cash, and are the machines excepting Euro's??

Thanks so much for all your great advice.

Heinbloed,

We are going to be in Warnemunde on a Monday Aug 17, so does anything change from what you already said??

Yes - it does for the ticketing: if you do not want to pay more than 26.00 EUR for the whole day, you must wait until 09.00 hrs before you are leaving in Warnemünde.

A small surcharge would starting 08.22 hrs from Warnemünde:

1.70 EUR each person to get to Rostock. You day pass would start to become valid once you are boarding the Schwerin-bound train in Rostock.

If you start at 10.22 hrs there will no 1.70 EUR add-on to pay.

If we are just two seniors, does anything change from what you just said??

Yes - if you like to stay mininum one month in Germany....

Sorry - for single rides there are no senior discounts...

only passes if you are planning to stay in Germany at least one month...

But you can find three more nice cruise-mates and invite them to join you... you can cover them in your 26.00 EUR day pass.

If I have this correct, we are buying the ticket in Warnemunde and not going to Rostock at all??

You buy the ticket in Warnemünde and you need to go to Rostock as well as you have to transfer your train there.

From this train, we go to Schwerin== direct??

No - the Schwerin-bound trains starts on 07 minutes past the odd hours from Rostock.

Best would be to leave around 22 minutes past the hour from Warnemünde to have a good transfer time in Rostock without rush.

Around 22 minutes means that most of the trains starts every 15 minutes from Rostock. During the rush hour they go every 10 minutes and then it may vary for 5 minutes.

Return train from Schwerin starts 51 minutes past the odd hours from Central Station and 47 minutes past the odd hours from City Center Station.

, is it announced when we get there, and about how long a trip is that??.

Normally there is a big board once you reach the platform section. When I was there few days ago there were out of service. Check on big yellow departure boards from which platform you are going.

From there we can just get a a same train back and that will take us back to Warnemunde and the cruise terminal.

From Rostock you always take the S-trains (white S on green circle) S1 or S2 towards Warnemünde.

About how far a walk is the cruise terminal from the train station??

It's so close...

2009WarnemuendeN0202-vi.jpg

Have you ever seen a train with two funnels...

So here is the guide to find around the train station:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-train-station-guide.html

And one last question, we tried to get a credit card with a chip but we could not.

Germany does not require the chip. As long as your credit has a magnetic strip on the backside it would work.

Are we able to use any other credit card, or must we pay cash, and are the machines excepting Euro's??

Thanks so much for all your great advice.

One type of machine only accepts Euro and the other only credit cards.

So here are the instructions for the cash machine:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/07/warnemunde-germany-train-day-passes.html

and here for the machine with the credit card:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-all-destinations.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

Heinbloed

Once again, thank you so much for your invaluable advice. I wish I could spend a month in Germany. I spent 3 years there while I was in the service in the mid 60's at Ramstein AFB, and Heidleburg was our city of choice at least once a month.

Can we visit Wismar after Schwerin before we return to Warnemunde. we arrive Saturday August 22 at 8am.

Can you live also to go Wismar first and then to Schwerin?

Background:

trains towards Wismar are going every hour.

trains towards Schwerin (Regional Trains with cheap tickets) are going every two hours.

i. e. arrival at 08.00 hrs with a departure time at 08.22 hrs might be tough... you can still catch the connection with using 08.37 hrs if you do not mind to have only few minutes in Rostock for train transfer to Schwerin.

The next is two hours later.

So it would be better to go first to Wismar and then to Schwerin. Or you decide to make a walk in Warnemünde before you are going to Schwerin.

Let me know what you prefer and I can tell you how to go.

Regards,

HeinBloed

We can go to Wismar first and then Schwerin. Our ship arrives at 8am Saturday August 22, it leaves at 10pm.

Can you please give us train information from Warnemunde for two adults. Thank you.

I think you asked already before:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=20122028#post20122028

so you got already the response:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemnde-germany-lbeckschwerin-train.html

Checking here the blog your name appears already next to EMERALD PRINCESS of August 22, 2009.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you for your response. I did ask earlier but I cannot read your response as it is written in yellow. Can you please rewrite it with another color. We want to go to Wismar first and then Schwerin.

You are a great resource and we all appreciate your hard work!!!

Thank you for your response. I did ask earlier but I cannot read your response as it is written in yellow. Can you please rewrite it with another color. We want to go to Wismar first and then Schwerin.

You are a great resource and we all appreciate your hard work!!!

Just a copy+paste changing the color would have solve the problem...

@Baltic Bound, wlbox

EMERALD PRINCESS

Monday, July 13, 2009

Saturday, August 22, 2009

08.00 hrs - 22.00 hrs

P8 = Terminal 2 - Getting from your terminal to train station and how to buy tickets scroll down:

* platform information not available at this time

dep 09.22 hrs at platform * in Warnemünde - S1/S2 towards Rostock Hbf (= Hauptbahnhof = Central Station)

arr 09.43 hrs at platform * in Rostock Hbf

change to

dep 10.06 hrs at platform 9 in Rostock Hbf - RE 33170 towards Wismar

arr 11.15 hrs at platform 2 in Wismar

continue to Schwerin

dep 13.33 hrs at platform 1 in Wismar - RE 38125 towards Ludwigsfelde

arr 14.10 hrs at platform * in Schwerin Hbf

arr 14.18 hrs at platform 2 in Schwerin Mitte

Return

dep 17.47 hrs at platform 1 in Schwerin Mitte

dep 17.51 hrs at platform * in Schwerin Hbf - RE 33015 towards Rostock Hbf

arr 18.52 hrs at platform 6 in Rostock Hbf

change to

dep 19.01 hrs at platform 1 in Rostock Hbf - S1/S2 towards Warnemünde

arr 19.21 hrs at platform 3 in Warnemünde

Subject your train from Schwerin is late

dep 19.16 hrs at platform 2 in Rostock hbf - S1/S2 towards Warnemünde

Tickets for outbound and return journey:

Cheapest ticket:

You need 1 x Ticket 2 for each 5 (or less) of your party

Good Night!

HeinBloed

Just a copy+paste changing the color would have solve the problem...

Good Night!

HeinBloed

For the past several days DB has been working on the tracks between Schwerin and Rostock and that return train at 17:51 did not run. They also changed the boarding track twice while we were waiting for a subsequent replacement.

All announcements were in German only.

Be aware.

For the past several days DB has been working on the tracks between Schwerin and Rostock and that return train at 17:51 did not run. They also changed the boarding track twice while we were waiting for a subsequent replacement.

All announcements were in German only.

Be aware.

Just generally:

1. I never put anyone on a last connection. So for the worst case: there is always one more connection to go to reach the ship before sailing. Most schedule information are made that you are about 1 1/2 hours at least back in Warnemünde.

2. In case of a train cancellation: the Service Point can upgrade you to long-distance-trains IC so that you can get the next train. In few occassions they arrange also taxi vouchers. Explain the service point that you need to catch your ship.

Take a cab back to your ship - it's still time enough.

I will help you to put a compensation request with German Railways.

Delays on the route Schwerin - Rostock are reported for the time until July 30, 2009.

17 minutes departure delay from Schwerin

8 minutes arrival delay in Rostock

But that's exactly the reason why I put two additonal connections from Rostock to Warnemünde for the worst case that exactly will happen.

All the day cruisers going by train

from Piraeus to see Athens

from Civitavecchia to see Rome

from Livorno to see Florence

from Le Havre/Cherbourg to see Paris

from Rotterdam/Ijmuiden to see Amsterdam

from Dover/Harwich/Southampton to see London

Those who are able to handle this will also handle the train ride from Schwerin back to their ships.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 7 months later...

Just a quick (not trick!) question.

I wonder if somebody could confirm whether the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern travelcard is valid only for RE (regional) and not for IC (inter-city) trains?

Our family of 2 adults and one child (11 years old) is thinking of taking the train from Warnemunde to Schwerin (on the 13th July 2010, from the Eclipse).

Many thanks,

FAJ.

Just a quick (not trick!) question.

I wonder if somebody could confirm whether the Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern travelcard is valid only for RE (regional) and not for IC (inter-city) trains?

Our family of 2 adults and one child (11 years old) is thinking of taking the train from Warnemunde to Schwerin (on the 13th July 2010, from the Eclipse).

Many thanks,

FAJ.

Your ticket is only valid on RE-trains.

Länderticket is a regional train product.

InterCity is a long-distance train product.

So Länderticket is not valid on InterCity.

Few options if you board the train without an InterCity Ticket:

1. The conductor will ask you to pay full price without any kind of discounts plus a small premium for onboard purchase.

2. The conductor is not so nice and ask you to pay the penalty: double fare min. 40 EUR.

3. If he is very nice and see that you are tourist without any German knowledge he might let you off the next station without any fines which would be Schwerin Hbf

Regards

HeinBloed

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Heinbloed,

My husband and I will be arriving in Warnemunde via NCL Sun on August 30 (Monday) 7:30 am to 10 pm.

We are hoping to cover Schwerin, Rostock and Warnemunde. Can this be done? If the answer is yes, would you please advise what the most efficient and cost effective way is ? If it is not realistic to cover all three places on one day, what alternative would you suggest?

Two other friends are on the same cruise with us. At this point, I am not sure if they will go to Berlin. If they decide to join us, will it be more cost effective to travel as a group of 4?

Thank you very much for your help.:o

Hi Heinbloed,

My husband and I will be arriving in Warnemunde via NCL Sun on August 30 (Monday) 7:30 am to 10 pm.

We are hoping to cover Schwerin, Rostock and Warnemunde. Can this be done? If the answer is yes, would you please advise what the most efficient and cost effective way is ? If it is not realistic to cover all three places on one day, what alternative would you suggest?

Two other friends are on the same cruise with us. At this point, I am not sure if they will go to Berlin. If they decide to join us, will it be more cost effective to travel as a group of 4?

Thank you very much for your help.:o

The most cost effective tour would be to grab your friends and do let them go to Berlin and to find a 5th person who will join you.

So it would be 5.20 EUR (less than 7.00 USD) per person...

If you do not find the 5th person I am sorry to let you know that it would be 6.50 EUR (less than 9.00 USD) per person...

= 1 x Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 26.00 EUR...

And you need to start in Rostock by taking a commuter train after 09.00 hrs.

Continue 13.07 hrs from Rostock to Schwerin and return on a black marked train:

ScheduleHamburg20101-vi.jpg

Or you start first in Warnemünde, go at 10.22 hrs towards Schwerin - return to see Rostock and take any commuter train back to Warnemünde (runs every 10 to 30 minutes - depending to the time of travel).

That's the cheapest way...

And if your friends went to Berlin... subject you have not found three more cruise-mates to share... you are stucked with the 26.00 EUR and it's 13.00 EUR per person (less than 17.00 USD).

But I am sure still cheaper than a ship's tour...

Regards

HeinBloed

Do you know how late the tourist stores and places stay open in Warnemunde? We are in port on a Friday. If we return from Schwerin about 7pm, will places still be open? I am considering whether to take the 9:07 or the 11:07 out of Rostock to Schwerin.

Do you know how late the tourist stores and places stay open in Warnemunde? We are in port on a Friday. If we return from Schwerin about 7pm, will places still be open? I am considering whether to take the 9:07 or the 11:07 out of Rostock to Schwerin.

Most places will be closed at this time.

A greengrocer called Rewe is closing at 22.00 hrs but you need to leave already at Warnemünde Werft (shipyard) the S-Bahn (commuter train) and can walk back in 15 minutes or take the next train from Warnemünde Werft to Warnemünde.

But next to the cruise ship terminal there is a place called Pier 7 and Karls Zwiebelschuppen (Charlie's Onions Shed - on the parking): Both places close after the departure of the last cruise ship.

Regards

HeinBloed

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Heinbloed,

Thanks so much for your help.

Based on the information you gave, here is my plan. Could you please let me know if this will work or not:

1. Ship arrives on Aug 30 Monday at Warnemunde 7:30 am to 10:00 pm

2. Get off ship around 8:30 am

3. Walk around Warnemunde

4. Board "S" train at 10:22 am at Warnemunde (buy pass for 26Euros for 4 people)

5. get off at Schwerin HBF 12:03 or Schwerin Mitte 12:14 (which one is better if we want to see the Castle, and walk around the tourist sites)

6. Tour around Schwerin

7. Board train at 15:51 or 15:48 at Schwerin Mitte/Hbf

8. Get off at Rostock at 16:51

9. Tour around Rostock, board train at 19:46 at Rostock

10. Arrive at 20:06 at Warnemunde and back to ship.

Will we have enough time to see the different sites? Is Wismar worth going? If it is, do we have enough time to go to Wismar and how??

Thanks again for your help.

The most cost effective tour would be to grab your friends and do let them go to Berlin and to find a 5th person who will join you.

So it would be 5.20 EUR (less than 7.00 USD) per person...

If you do not find the 5th person I am sorry to let you know that it would be 6.50 EUR (less than 9.00 USD) per person...

= 1 x Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 26.00 EUR...

And you need to start in Rostock by taking a commuter train after 09.00 hrs.

Continue 13.07 hrs from Rostock to Schwerin and return on a black marked train:

ScheduleHamburg20101-vi.jpg

Or you start first in Warnemünde, go at 10.22 hrs towards Schwerin - return to see Rostock and take any commuter train back to Warnemünde (runs every 10 to 30 minutes - depending to the time of travel).

That's the cheapest way...

And if your friends went to Berlin... subject you have not found three more cruise-mates to share... you are stucked with the 26.00 EUR and it's 13.00 EUR per person (less than 17.00 USD).

But I am sure still cheaper than a ship's tour...

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived