Warnemunde to Schwerin by rail.

Thanks Anni: I had read about a tourist waiting for the doors to open at the Mitte station and having the train leave with them still onboard!

Dave

Hi Dave, have e-mailed by cell phone number in case of problems, look forward to meeting you.

I had not heard that story re Mitte but the thought that it could happen was one of my reasons for recommending Hbf. Mitte is a very small station and you could well be the only person getting on or off so the stop is very short whereas the stop in Schwerin is longer as there are always many people to get on and off.

The walk from Hbf to the castle is also much nicer, along a lake and through the pedestrian shopping streets of the old town rather than busy traffic streets and a modern shopping mall with very little, if any, difference in distance.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

• 1 month later...

HeinBloed, I hope you will assist me. My family and I are sailing on the Norwegian Sun and will arrive in Warnemunde on June 14. We would like to take the train to Schwerin Castle and add a stop in Wismar. I have seen your past postings on this subject but they were all a few years old. Are there any updates I need to know? There are 3 of us, Mom is in her 70's. I understand there is a tram available from the station to the castle, but how far is the heart of Wismar from the train? Is it an easy walk? Can you advise us on a timetable? Any updates and tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

HeinBloed, I hope you will assist me. My family and I are sailing on the Norwegian Sun and will arrive in Warnemunde on June 14. We would like to take the train to Schwerin Castle and add a stop in Wismar. I have seen your past postings on this subject but they were all a few years old. Are there any updates I need to know? There are 3 of us, Mom is in her 70's. I understand there is a tram available from the station to the castle, but how far is the heart of Wismar from the train? Is it an easy walk? Can you advise us on a timetable? Any updates and tips you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

O.K. Here are the information:

Here you have an network map of Schwerin's public transport:

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_a/buch/liniennetz.pdf

The tram goes to the heart of the city Marienplatz and from here for people who can easily walk it's a 8-12 minutes to the castle.

Your origin is Hauptbahnhof (= Central Station). It's one stop only but the distance between Hauptbahnhof and Marienplatz is much more longer than between other stops in average.

I do not know how much walking your mother can do:

from Central Station to Marienplatz it's all downhill.

Back it might be better to take the tram.

Two alternatives:

There is a bus 10 which goes directly to Schloss (= Castle):

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_a/aushang/hbf-10r.pdf

As you see the frequency (left in white part) on weekdays is only every 30 minutes. So make a print-out that you can control the departure times.

For the return:

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_a/aushang/slos10h.pdf

The other option would be:

Use Schwerin Mitte instead of Schwerin Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). From Rostock it's one more stop on the train.

This station is fully equipped with elevators as well.

It's all downhill and you can enter the shopping center to bridge the levels by escelators. So with normal conditions it would be a walk of totally 18-25 minutes from Schwerin Mitte to the castle.

If the condition of your mother allow I would do it this way:

From Schwerin Mitte by walk: so you see a little of Schwerin City Center and return by bus 10.

If you have the water and the castle to your back and facing the city center it's the bus from your right to the left (you must find the bus stop opposite the waterside curbside): A green H in a yellow circle with an green frame around the yellow.

In Wismar there is total different problem:

the city center is all pedestrian zone and due to narrow streets all in one-way: there are only circled services and due to size of Wismar: it's very limited.

So you can get back from Am Markt (Market Square) back to Bahnhof (Station) but it's difficult to get from the station to the market square without transfer and waiting time.

http://www.evb-wismar.de/nahverkehr/pdf/netzplan.pdf

It's a very nice walk in about 15-20 minutes for regular walkers - but lot of cobblestones to the heart of Wismar.

From there you can take a mini-train-tour.

For the return you can maybe use bus B-D (every 30 minutes) or E (every 60 minutes) to get back from the Market Square to the Station:

http://www.evb-wismar.de/nahverkehr/fahrplan/fahrplan.php?id=11CB4634-0B9B-40D9-BBDF-B05A5D2BFF71

Upper part Mo-Fr (Weekdays).

http://www.evb-wismar.de/nahverkehr/fahrplan/fahrplan.php?id=0AE3DDB9-8F02-4D5D-BE5A-9AD19D9AB55F

Have a great day in Germany:

and no salad which includes lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber while you are ashore!!!!

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi, just a few additions to Heinblods excellent information if I may. This is a copy of my answer to the same question on a different thread.

The ship berths literally alongside the railway line in Warnemünde and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later.

The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin which departs Rostock every two hours from 9.07am. The trip takes just under 1 hour.

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day) but if you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take the 9.07am to Schwerin you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70 each) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am.

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. There is a tram system but it does not really go through the tourist part of the city, it goes round the edges and serves the suburbs. To take a tram would be to miss a great deal of the older city and you would still have a 10 min walk to the castle. The walk from the train station to the castle takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings and pavement cafes, plenty to see and places to rest.

Once in Schwerin Hbf go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

I have just one reservation about using Schwerin Mitte. It is not the main station and the stop is very, very short. Often there are only one or two people getting on/off so you have to be very prepared and as it is only 2 mins from Schwerin Hbf that means being ready at the doors virtually as soon as the train starts so it is safer to use the Hbf where there are always a lot of people to get on/off and which also has elevators.

The trains to Wismar depart Schwerin Hbf at 45 mins past every hour (12.45, 13.45 etc.) and the trip takes about 30 mins. It is a 10-15 min walk from the station to the centre of Wismar.

The trains to Rostock depart Wismar at 42 mins past every hour (15.42 etc.) and the trip takes about 1 hour.

PS There are taxis readily available in both towns, at the station and in the centre.

HeinBloed and Rostocker,

Thanks so much for your valuable information concerning using the train to sight-see while in Germany. I plan on copying your information on how to use the kiosk to buy train tickets, trusting that information is still correct. I am at a disadvantage not being able to read German, but plan to give it a try.

Thanks again to the both of you, we are very excited.

Salathrop

HeinBloed and Rostocker,

Thanks so much for your valuable information concerning using the train to sight-see while in Germany. I plan on copying your information on how to use the kiosk to buy train tickets, trusting that information is still correct. I am at a disadvantage not being able to read German, but plan to give it a try.

Salathrop

You can switch to English on the machine.

Regards

HeinBloed

HeinBloed and Rostocker,

Salathrop

Hi, The question 'Is the Lander ticket valid on the trams etc' often comes up.

A little research found the following on the DB web site.

'This ticket is valid from Monday to Friday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day. On Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) and the transport systems in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Hamburg.' (English site)

'In the entire network area (it includes the city of Rostock and the districts of Bad Doberan and Güstrow) the ticket is valid in all public transport.' (Translation from German site)

So it seems you can use your Lander ticket to travel on the trams between Central Station and Rostock City Centre as long as it is after 9am. but you do need the 1.70 euro ticket to get to Rostock Central station if you start from Warnemunde before 9am.

Happy cruising, :)

Hi, The question 'Is the Lander ticket valid on the trams etc' often comes up.

A little research found the following on the DB web site.

'This ticket is valid from Monday to Friday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day. On Saturday, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) and the transport systems in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and Hamburg.' (English site)

'In the entire network area (it includes the city of Rostock and the districts of Bad Doberan and Güstrow) the ticket is valid in all public transport.' (Translation from German site)

So it seems you can use your Lander ticket to travel on the trams between Central Station and Rostock City Centre as long as it is after 9am. but you do need the 1.70 euro ticket to get to Rostock Central station if you start from Warnemunde before 9am.

Happy cruising, :)

Sorry - but that's not correct.

Here are the official small prints:

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/pdf/regional/allgemein__berregional/l_nder_tickets/2011/MDB85277-befoerdbed_meckpomm_2011.pdf

Rostock is part of the collective ticket arrangements. And therefore you can only use the regional trains of Deutsche Bahn for the traffic

origin from the area and going OUTSIDE.

So normally you CANNOT use the Länderticket just to go from Warnemünde to Rostock (or Bad Doberan - all places in this so-called Verkehrsverbund Warnow).

Ein Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket berechtigt zur Fahrt in Zügen der Produktklasse

C (RE, RB und S-Bahn) der Verkehrsunternehmen des DB Konzerns in Mecklenburg-

Vorpommern.

Translatation:

A Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania ticket entitled only for voyages in trains of product class C (RE (RegionlExpress), RB (RegionalBahn = RegionalTrain) and S-Bahn (Commuter train service between Warnemünde and Rostock)) of companies within the group of DB Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) in Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania.

plus few private operated trains:

Gilt in ganz Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in allen Verkehrsmitteln von DB Regio, der Ostseeland Verkehr GmbH, der Usedomer Bäderbahn GmbH und der Ostdeutschen GmbH. Über die Landesgrenzen hinaus gilt es auch zwischen:

- Brandenburg: Grabow(Meckl)-Karstädt - Bad Wilsnack

- Hamburg: Reinbek - Hamburg-Bergedorf - Hamburg Hbf(KBS 100) einschließlich Großraum Hamburg gemäß Tarif Hamburger Verkehrsverbund

- Schleswig-Holstein: Herrnburg - Lübeck St. Jürgen - Lübeck Hbf - Lübeck-Travemünde Strand, Schwanheide - Büchen- Hamburg - Bergedorf - Hamburg Hbf

- Polen: Grambow - Szczecin Gumience - Szczecin Glowny (einschließlich Stadtverkehr Szczecin), Ahlbeck Grenze. Swinoujscie Centrum (in den Zügen der UBB)

Einzelheiten zum Geltungsbereich entnehmen Sie dem untenstehenden PDF.

It's NOT ALLOWED TO GO ON ROSTOCK TRAM ON LÄNDER TICKET!!!

Okay, I think I got it. Buy both tickets from home or the kiosk, One for 1 way to Rostock because it's before 9:00 and the other for the family deal that will get us to Schwerin (Schloss) and all the way back. I understand I will need to pay additionally if we choose to ride any trams in Schwerin, Wismar or Rostock. I also understand I have 2 choices of stops to get off for the palace, the central station is a longer stop but the Schwerin Mitte has a nice downhill walk that takes us by the city center. I'm sure we can do it, after all, it's part of the adventure. What great travel ambassadors you are.

Thanks again,

Salathrop

Sorry - but that's not correct.

Here are the official small prints:

http://www.bahn.de/regional/view/mdb/pv/pdf/regional/allgemein__berregional/l_nder_tickets/2011/MDB85277-befoerdbed_meckpomm_2011.pdf

Rostock is part of the collective ticket arrangements. And therefore you can only use the regional trains of Deutsche Bahn for the traffic

origin from the area and going OUTSIDE.

So normally you CANNOT use the Länderticket just to go from Warnemünde to Rostock (or Bad Doberan - all places in this so-called Verkehrsverbund Warnow).

Ein Mecklenburg-Vorpommern-Ticket berechtigt zur Fahrt in Zügen der Produktklasse

C (RE, RB und S-Bahn) der Verkehrsunternehmen des DB Konzerns in Mecklenburg-

Vorpommern.

Translatation:

A Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania ticket entitled only for voyages in trains of product class C (RE (RegionlExpress), RB (RegionalBahn = RegionalTrain) and S-Bahn (Commuter train service between Warnemünde and Rostock)) of companies within the group of DB Deutsche Bahn (German Railways) in Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania.

plus few private operated trains:

Gilt in ganz Mecklenburg-Vorpommern in allen Verkehrsmitteln von DB Regio, der Ostseeland Verkehr GmbH, der Usedomer Bäderbahn GmbH und der Ostdeutschen GmbH. Über die Landesgrenzen hinaus gilt es auch zwischen:

- Brandenburg: Grabow(Meckl)-Karstädt - Bad Wilsnack

- Hamburg: Reinbek - Hamburg-Bergedorf - Hamburg Hbf(KBS 100) einschließlich Großraum Hamburg gemäß Tarif Hamburger Verkehrsverbund

- Schleswig-Holstein: Herrnburg - Lübeck St. Jürgen - Lübeck Hbf - Lübeck-Travemünde Strand, Schwanheide - Büchen- Hamburg - Bergedorf - Hamburg Hbf

- Polen: Grambow - Szczecin Gumience - Szczecin Glowny (einschließlich Stadtverkehr Szczecin), Ahlbeck Grenze. Swinoujscie Centrum (in den Zügen der UBB)

Einzelheiten zum Geltungsbereich entnehmen Sie dem untenstehenden PDF.

It's NOT ALLOWED TO GO ON ROSTOCK TRAM ON LÄNDER TICKET!!!

Now I am really confused because the first highlighted quote from the official rules contradicts your first (highlighted) sentence re Rostock, Bad Doberan etc.. :confused:

The translation of the second highlighted rules says that the ticket is valid on HVV (Hamburg Public Transport) whereas I was told categorically in the information centre at Hamburg Hbf that this only applies to s-bahns operating locally.

It would seem the rules changed when the prices changed earlier this year so today I will go into the offices of both DB and RSAG (local transport in Rostock) and try and sort this out.

Now I am really confused because the first highlighted quote from the official rules contradicts your first (highlighted) sentence re Rostock, Bad Doberan etc.. :confused:

The translation of the second highlighted rules says that the ticket is valid on HVV (Hamburg Public Transport) whereas I was told categorically in the information centre at Hamburg Hbf that this only applies to s-bahns operating locally.

It would seem the rules changed when the prices changed earlier this year so today I will go into the offices of both DB and RSAG (local transport in Rostock) and try and sort this out.

RSAG = Verkehrsverbund Warnow and has nothing to do with

HVV = Hamburger Verkehrsverbund.

In Hamburg it's included but NOT IN ROSTOCK!!!

Today I visited the DB information office on the Rostock Central Station and asked 5 questions about the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander Ticket. I took with me a German colleague just to make sure there were no mis-undertandings re language and we spoke to a senior member of the staff. This is what I was told.

Q. Where, when and on what methods of transport are Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander Tickets valid?

A. This ticket is valid from Monday to Friday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day or on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) within Mecklenburg Vorpommern plus direct services from any station in Mecklenburg Vorpommern to Hamburg, Lübeck and Szczecin (Poland). Also services within Mecklenburg Vorpommern provided by the private companies OLA and Ostseebahn.

Q. Is it valid on the commuter s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock?

A. Yes. It is valid on the commuter s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock, between Rostock and Seehafen Nord and between Rostock and Güstrow subject to the times in the answer to the first question.

Q. Is it valid on VVW transport as stated in the English version of the web site ( quote:- valid.... and on the transport systems in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern..). Specifically the trams in Rostock?

A. No. The English web site has not yet been changed to reflect the changes in the rules made earlier this year.

:o I was wrong, my apologies. I suggested that in view of the number of English-speaking people using Lander Tickets it might be a good idea to change the English pages; my suggestion was noted.

Q. Is it valid on the public transport system in Schwerin and Wismar. They too are systems in Mecklenburg Vorpommern.

A. No. Explanation why the English web site says it is; same as above.

Q. Is it valid on all HVV transport in Hamburg or only the s-bahn system?

A. Yes, on all forms of transport. S-bahn, u-bahn, buses and river ferries.

Heinblod was right and the information I was given in Hamburg Hbf was wrong.

I hope that this has now cleared up any confusion.

PS I live in Rostock and am aware that HVV (Hamburger Verkehrsverbund) and RSAG (Rostocker Straßenbahn AG) have absolutely no connection although I was not aware that anything I had written suggested that they did.

Today I visited the DB information office on the Rostock Central Station and asked 5 questions about the Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander Ticket. I took with me a German colleague just to make sure there were no mis-undertandings re language and we spoke to a senior member of the staff. This is what I was told.

Q. Where, when and on what methods of transport are Mecklenburg Vorpommern Lander Tickets valid?

A. This ticket is valid from Monday to Friday for one day of your choice from 9 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day or on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays from 0 until 3 a.m the following day. It can be used on all local trains (Regional-Express, Regionalbahn, S-Bahn) within Mecklenburg Vorpommern plus direct services from any station in Mecklenburg Vorpommern to Hamburg, Lübeck and Szczecin (Poland). Also services within Mecklenburg Vorpommern provided by the private companies OLA and Ostseebahn.

Q. Is it valid on the commuter s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock?

A. Yes. It is valid on the commuter s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock, between Rostock and Seehafen Nord and between Rostock and Güstrow subject to the times in the answer to the first question.

Q. Is it valid on VVW transport as stated in the English version of the web site ( quote:- valid.... and on the transport systems in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern..). Specifically the trams in Rostock?

A. No. The English web site has not yet been changed to reflect the changes in the rules made earlier this year.

:o I was wrong, my apologies. I suggested that in view of the number of English-speaking people using Lander Tickets it might be a good idea to change the English pages; my suggestion was noted.

Q. Is it valid on the public transport system in Schwerin and Wismar. They too are systems in Mecklenburg Vorpommern.

A. No. Explanation why the English web site says it is; same as above.

Q. Is it valid on all HVV transport in Hamburg or only the s-bahn system?

A. Yes, on all forms of transport. S-bahn, u-bahn, buses and river ferries.

Heinblod was right and the information I was given in Hamburg Hbf was wrong.

I hope that this has now cleared up any confusion.

PS I live in Rostock and am aware that HVV (Hamburger Verkehrsverbund) and RSAG (Rostocker Straßenbahn AG) have absolutely no connection although I was not aware that anything I had written suggested that they did.

Hi Anni: With most of us arriving in Warnemunde before the Lander ticket is valid does the single ticket @ 1.7 euro to Rostock include the use of the trams in Rostock for the day. We are walking in Schwerin so the tram is not important.

Dave

Hi Anni: With most of us arriving in Warnemunde before the Lander ticket is valid does the single ticket @ 1.7 euro to Rostock include the use of the trams in Rostock for the day. We are walking in Schwerin so the tram is not important.

Dave

Hi Dave, The 1.70€ single ticket is for a single journey from Warnemunde to any other stop between Warnemunde and Rostock City, journey to be completed within 2 hours (that is what validating your ticket does, it stamps the time of the start of your journey on the ticket). If you intend to visit Rostock City after Schwerin (and I know you do) by riding the tram from the Hbf to the city and the tram/train back to Warnemunde then Day Tickets are worthwhile. 3 single journeys = 5.10€, 1 day ticket = 4.50€. It will also save buying, validating and carrying multiple tickets.

Anni

Hi Dave, The 1.70€ single ticket is for a single journey from Warnemunde to any other stop between Warnemunde and Rostock City, journey to be completed within 2 hours (that is what validating your ticket does, it stamps the time of the start of your journey on the ticket). If you intend to visit Rostock City after Schwerin (and I know you do) by riding the tram from the Hbf to the city and the tram/train back to Warnemunde then Day Tickets are worthwhile. 3 single journeys = 5.10€, 1 day ticket = 4.50€. It will also save buying, validating and carrying multiple tickets.

Anni

Thanks I was under the impression that the Lander ticket would have worked for our return to Rostock including the tram until your last post.

I guess we will get a day ticket and lander ticket in Warnemunde to cover the full day.

Dave

Thanks I was under the impression that the Lander ticket would have worked for our return to Rostock including the tram until your last post.

I guess we will get a day ticket and lander ticket in Warnemunde to cover the full day.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Many people, myself included, were also under that impression after reading the ticket conditions on the English web site which is why I went to DB with my questions. Not to prove anyone right or wrong but to clarify the situation for the sake of everyone intending to buy Lander Tickets.

It is simple if

a) you intend only to visit a town other than Rostock, then you require a Lander Ticket + a single to Rostock Hbf if it is before 9am

of if

b) you intend only to visit Rostock City, in which case you require 2 single-ride tickets

it is only if you intend to do both that the waters become muddied.

Anni

Hi Dave,

Many people, myself included, were also under that impression after reading the ticket conditions on the English web site which is why I went to DB with my questions. Not to prove anyone right or wrong but to clarify the situation for the sake of everyone intending to buy Lander Tickets.

It is simple if

a) you intend only to visit a town other than Rostock, then you require a Lander Ticket + a single to Rostock Hbf if it is before 9am

of if

b) you intend only to visit Rostock City, in which case you require 2 single-ride tickets

it is only if you intend to do both that the waters become muddied.

Anni

Hi: Now you have me! To use the tram in Rostock after our return from Schwerin, do we need a different ticket than the single ticket? The Lander ticket gets us back to Warnemunde. I guess we will need to use the tram in Rostock.

Dave

Hi: Now you have me! To use the tram in Rostock after our return from Schwerin, do we need a different ticket than the single ticket? The Lander ticket gets us back to Warnemunde. I guess we will need to use the tram in Rostock.

Dave

Hi Dave.

As you intend to go from Warnemünde to Schwerin starting before 9am and to break your return journey in Rostock:-

The Lander ticket covers the RE train from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin, the RE train from Schwerin back to Rostock Hbf and the S-bahn train from Rostock Hbf to Warnemunde.

You need local transport tickets for the S-bahn train from Warnemünde to Rostock Hbf before 9am, the tram from Rostock Hbf to Rostock City and the tram back from Rostock City to Rostock Hbf. Either 3 single tickets @1.70€ each = 5.10€ or 1 Day Ticket @ 4.50€

Sorry but I can't think of a more simple way to explain your particular requirements.

The confusion arises because the s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock can be used either as a part of the local transport system (VVW) or part of the DB Mecklenburg Lander system and ticketing depends on the system in which you are using it.

Regards, Anni

Hi Dave.

As you intend to go from Warnemünde to Schwerin starting before 9am and to break your return journey in Rostock:-

The Lander ticket covers the RE train from Rostock Hbf to Schwerin, the RE train from Schwerin back to Rostock Hbf and the S-bahn train from Rostock Hbf to Warnemunde.

You need local transport tickets for the S-bahn train from Warnemünde to Rostock Hbf before 9am, the tram from Rostock Hbf to Rostock City and the tram back from Rostock City to Rostock Hbf. Either 3 single tickets @1.70€ each = 5.10€ or 1 Day Ticket @ 4.50€

Sorry but I can't think of a more simple way to explain your particular requirements.

The confusion arises because the s-bahn between Warnemünde and Rostock can be used either as a part of the local transport system (VVW) or part of the DB Mecklenburg Lander system and ticketing depends on the system in which you are using it.

Regards, Anni

Does that mean the day pass will work for trams in Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar?

Salathrop

Does that mean the day pass will work for trams in Rostock, Schwerin and Wismar?

Salathrop

Hi,

The Rostock Tageskarte, or day pass @4.50€, is valid for the s-bahn, trams, buses and cross river ferries in Rostock Zones 1-3 which includes Warnemünde, Rostock Central Station, Rostock City Centre and the Port of Rostock. You will need different tickets for the trams/buses in both Schwerin and Wismar as all three city transport systems are quite separate.

Anni

Hi Dave.

Regards, Anni

Thanks! Day ticket and Lander ticket to accomplish our touring

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, just a few additions to Heinblods excellent information if I may. This is a copy of my answer to the same question on a different thread.

The ship berths literally alongside the railway line in Warnemünde and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later.

The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin which departs Rostock every two hours from 9.07am. The trip takes just under 1 hour.

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day) but if you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take the 9.07am to Schwerin you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70 each) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am.

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. There is a tram system but it does not really go through the tourist part of the city, it goes round the edges and serves the suburbs. To take a tram would be to miss a great deal of the older city and you would still have a 10 min walk to the castle. The walk from the train station to the castle takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings and pavement cafes, plenty to see and places to rest.

Once in Schwerin Hbf go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

I have just one reservation about using Schwerin Mitte. It is not the main station and the stop is very, very short. Often there are only one or two people getting on/off so you have to be very prepared and as it is only 2 mins from Schwerin Hbf that means being ready at the doors virtually as soon as the train starts so it is safer to use the Hbf where there are always a lot of people to get on/off and which also has elevators.

The trains to Wismar depart Schwerin Hbf at 45 mins past every hour (12.45, 13.45 etc.) and the trip takes about 30 mins. It is a 10-15 min walk from the station to the centre of Wismar.

The trains to Rostock depart Wismar at 42 mins past every hour (15.42 etc.) and the trip takes about 1 hour.

PS There are taxis readily available in both towns, at the station and in the centre.

O.K. Here are the information:

Here you have an network map of Schwerin's public transport:

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_a/buch/liniennetz.pdf

The tram goes to the heart of the city Marienplatz and from here for people who can easily walk it's a 8-12 minutes to the castle.

Your origin is Hauptbahnhof (= Central Station). It's one stop only but the distance between Hauptbahnhof and Marienplatz is much more longer than between other stops in average.

I do not know how much walking your mother can do:

from Central Station to Marienplatz it's all downhill.

Back it might be better to take the tram.

Two alternatives:

There is a bus 10 which goes directly to Schloss (= Castle):

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_a/aushang/hbf-10r.pdf

As you see the frequency (left in white part) on weekdays is only every 30 minutes. So make a print-out that you can control the departure times.

For the return:

http://www.nahverkehr-schwerin.de/export/sites/nahverkehr/fahrplan_daten/fahrplan_daten_a/aushang/slos10h.pdf

The other option would be:

Use Schwerin Mitte instead of Schwerin Hauptbahnhof (Central Station). From Rostock it's one more stop on the train.

This station is fully equipped with elevators as well.

It's all downhill and you can enter the shopping center to bridge the levels by escelators. So with normal conditions it would be a walk of totally 18-25 minutes from Schwerin Mitte to the castle.

If the condition of your mother allow I would do it this way:

From Schwerin Mitte by walk: so you see a little of Schwerin City Center and return by bus 10.

If you have the water and the castle to your back and facing the city center it's the bus from your right to the left (you must find the bus stop opposite the waterside curbside): A green H in a yellow circle with an green frame around the yellow.

In Wismar there is total different problem:

the city center is all pedestrian zone and due to narrow streets all in one-way: there are only circled services and due to size of Wismar: it's very limited.

So you can get back from Am Markt (Market Square) back to Bahnhof (Station) but it's difficult to get from the station to the market square without transfer and waiting time.

http://www.evb-wismar.de/nahverkehr/pdf/netzplan.pdf

It's a very nice walk in about 15-20 minutes for regular walkers - but lot of cobblestones to the heart of Wismar.

From there you can take a mini-train-tour.

For the return you can maybe use bus B-D (every 30 minutes) or E (every 60 minutes) to get back from the Market Square to the Station:

http://www.evb-wismar.de/nahverkehr/fahrplan/fahrplan.php?id=11CB4634-0B9B-40D9-BBDF-B05A5D2BFF71

Upper part Mo-Fr (Weekdays).

http://www.evb-wismar.de/nahverkehr/fahrplan/fahrplan.php?id=0AE3DDB9-8F02-4D5D-BE5A-9AD19D9AB55F

Have a great day in Germany:

and no salad which includes lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber while you are ashore!!!!

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi HeinBloed and Rostocker,

You guys are awesome!

We are planning to do Schwerin as a priority and head back via Wismar and Bad Doberan if time permits.

We will start from Warnemunde at 8.22/8.37 as advised so will arrive in Schwerin around 10.07.

I found and old post taking about a scenic bus trip from Bad Doberin ... is that included in Landerticket?

How would you split the time between the three towns? Schwerin 50%, Wismar 30% Bad Doberan 20%?

Also do the trains Schwerin-Rostock via Wismar or Rostock-Warnemunde become less frequent after a certain time at night?

Many thanks

I found and old post taking about a scenic bus trip from Bad Doberin ... is that included in Landerticket?

No - you need a seperate ticket.

How would you split the time between the three towns? Schwerin 50%, Wismar 30% Bad Doberan 20%?

Yes - about... Bad Doberan itself has only the Dome worth to see...

Also do the trains Schwerin-Rostock via Wismar or Rostock-Warnemunde become less frequent after a certain time at night?

Schwerin - Rostock (on Länderticket): every 2 hours - all day long. Except extra trains in the afternoon on weekdays.

Rostock - Wismar: every hour

Wismar - Schwerin: not exactly every hour but once per hour a train. So two lines which are going every 2 hours.

Rostock - Warnemünde: best: 10 minutes during rush-hour on weekdays - most of the day 15 minutes - evening 30 minutes - roughly.

Regards

HeinBloed

Could I trouble you for the name of the train Schwerin to Wismar? Thanks

As all trains towards Wismar terminates in Wismar you will have too much trouble to identify the proper train:

2009Schwerin02-vi.jpg

There are electronic displays at the platforms which show the next train - same in the main hall like at the airport.

So Wismar is Wismar.

Regards

HeinBloed

Archived