Warnemunde to Schwerin by rail.

5. get off at Schwerin HBF 12:03 or Schwerin Mitte 12:14 (which one is better if we want to see the Castle, and walk around the tourist sites)

I would go Schwerin Mitte for the castle.

Will we have enough time to see the different sites?

To see: yes

to visit inside: maybe no

It's perfect to get an overview, to take some pictures, browse around, having a cup of coffee.

But if you want to make a tour in the castle and maybe a lake cruise it would not be enough time.

Is Wismar worth going?

Yes - it's maybe the reason why it's an UNESCO World Heritage.

If it is, do we have enough time to go to Wismar and how??

Your ship is coming relatively late and leaves relatively early:

so Wismar and Schwerin would work.

Three places will be a little tough and it would limit your time just for a short walk in all three places. For all three places it would be better to have a car.

ScheduleWismar20101-vi.jpg

If you go 08.22 hrs and pay 1.70 EUR pp (on weekdays) extra - you can be in Wismar at 10.15 hrs.

ScheduleTriangle20101-vi.jpg

12.44 hrs from Wismar arrives 13.15 hrs in Schwerin Mitte.

I would say it works for a good overview.

Regards

HeinBloed

HeinBloed, would you recommend a tour of the castle. I am not sure how long it takes. Have you heard good things about the tour?

It's a question of personal taste:

I like Baroque style interiors, paintings, china (especially from Meissen, KPM Berlin) and gardens.

But I would say it this way:

If I had already great cultural insights on my cruise like in St. Petersburg I would maybe prefer keep my visit a little shorter in Schwerin for an additional place like Wismar because I like more the outsides than the insides.

Currently there is an extended exhibilition due to 150th anniversary of completing the construction of the palace.

It's only 6 EUR the admittance and you do not need to queue up like Herimitage.

I would do it this way:

get there - have a look around in the court.

If you think you should have more: go inside.

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi Heinbloed,

Thank you for your response. Now I am trying to learn how to purchase train tickets for our trip on line using http://www.bahn.com.

Our ship docks at Warnemunde on Aug 30 Monday 7:30am to 10 pm and we would like to visit Warnemunde – Schwerin – Rostock:

1. I would like to buy the Landerticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 4 for 26 euros. You had mentioned that if we board the train before 9 am, there is an additional fee. How do we pay that?

2. In an earlier post, you suggested either “start in Rostock by taking a commuter train after 9:00 am” or “start in Warnemunde, go at 10:22 towards Schwerin…”. Since our ship docks at Warnemunde, wouldn't it be closer for us to board the train at Warnemunde instead of Rostock or is there something that I am missing?

3. I tried to put some dummy entries in http://www.bahn.com

it asks for single or return journey. I put in return journey, but I could only get Warnemunde to Schwerin then Schweriback to

Warnemunde, skipping Rostock. And the special fare of 26 euros

What do I need to do to get the ticket from Warnemunde to Schwerin, then Schwerin to Rostock, then Rostock back to Warnemunde at the special fare? Should I be buying separately as single tickets

4. Does the train leaving at 9:52 from Warnemunde stop at Schwerin Mitte? In the train schedule, there is only a down arrow beside Schwerin Mitte, no specific time.

Would you mind walking me through each step? Thanks again for your help.

I would go Schwerin Mitte for the castle.

To see: yes

to visit inside: maybe no

It's perfect to get an overview, to take some pictures, browse around, having a cup of coffee.

But if you want to make a tour in the castle and maybe a lake cruise it would not be enough time.

Yes - it's maybe the reason why it's an UNESCO World Heritage.

Your ship is coming relatively late and leaves relatively early:

so Wismar and Schwerin would work.

Three places will be a little tough and it would limit your time just for a short walk in all three places. For all three places it would be better to have a car.

ScheduleWismar20101-vi.jpg

If you go 08.22 hrs and pay 1.70 EUR pp (on weekdays) extra - you can be in Wismar at 10.15 hrs.

ScheduleTriangle20101-vi.jpg

12.44 hrs from Wismar arrives 13.15 hrs in Schwerin Mitte.

I would say it works for a good overview.

Regards

HeinBloed

1.I would like to buy the Landerticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 4 for 26 euros. You had mentioned that if we board the train before 9 am, there is an additional fee. How do we pay that?

You need to buy it a the ticket machine and pay in cash: Here are the instructions:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

2.In an earlier post, you suggested either “start in Rostock by taking a commuter train after 9:00 am” or “start in Warnemunde, go at 10:22 towards Schwerin…”. Since our ship docks at Warnemunde, wouldn't it be closer for us to board the train at Warnemunde instead of Rostock or is there something that I am missing?

The train you can use for 26 EUR goes every 2 hours.

For those who arrives early and willing to pay 1.70 EUR for the commuter can go first to Rostock to see there around before they take a Schwerin-bound train after 09.00 hrs.

3.I tried to put some dummy entries in http://www.bahn.com

it asks for single or return journey. I put in return journey, but I could only get Warnemunde to Schwerin then Schweriback to

Warnemunde, skipping Rostock. And the special fare of 26 euros

What do I need to do to get the ticket from Warnemunde to Schwerin, then Schwerin to Rostock, then Rostock back to Warnemunde at the special fare? Should I be buying separately as single tickets

Here are exact instructions:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/warnemunde-kiel-lubeck-hamburg-germany.html

It's a day pass: so why wasting time as it is valid in all Regional Trains and you must not buy for a specific train.

4.Does the train leaving at 9:52 from Warnemunde stop at Schwerin Mitte? In the train schedule, there is only a down arrow beside Schwerin Mitte, no specific time.

09.52 hrs connects in Rostock to an IC InterCity Long-Distance-Train which means: You cannot go for 26.00 EUR for 4. 20.00 EUR extra per person*way.

Only black coloured connections.

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear HeinBloed,

We have heard from so many on CC how helpful you are with train connections. If we can impose upon you, we are arriving in Warnemunde at 7:00 on 6 August 2010 on the Azamara Journey and want to go to Berlin. We will be spending the night in Berlin and need to return to Warnemunde for a 20:00 departure on 7 August. Could you suggest the best trains to take? We are also concerned with the pricing. There seem to be a number of fares and we are not sure which ones we qualify for.

I apologize if you have already given this information to someone, but with all the posts, it is sometimes difficult to find information.

Regards,

TheShoo

Dear HeinBloed,

We have heard from so many on CC how helpful you are with train connections. If we can impose upon you, we are arriving in Warnemunde at 7:00 on 6 August 2010 on the Azamara Journey and want to go to Berlin. We will be spending the night in Berlin and need to return to Warnemunde for a 20:00 departure on 7 August. Could you suggest the best trains to take? We are also concerned with the pricing. There seem to be a number of fares and we are not sure which ones we qualify for.

I apologize if you have already given this information to someone, but with all the posts, it is sometimes difficult to find information.

Regards,

TheShoo

Hope we do not work for the same company... our US-plant is in Newton MA...

You are arriving on a Friday and leave on a Saturday.

to Berlin you can go at 08.02 hrs and change the train in Rostock. You'll be in Berlin 11.15 hrs

You return at 14.44 hrs and change in Rostock and you'll back in Warnemünde at 17.51 hrs.

ScheduleBerlin20101-vi.jpg

Ticketing:

FaresBerlin2010-vi.jpg

To go to Berlin:

each of you: 17.10 EUR for Warnemünde - Waren(Müritz) to cover the time until 09.00 hrs

each 5 of you: 27.00 EUR for a Länderticket Brandenburg-Berlin (Daypass for the states of Brandenburg and Berlin) incl. public transport in Berlin

To return from Berlin:

each 5 of you: 38.00 EUR for a Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket (Nationwide Weekend Day Pass for all Regional Trains).

You can buy all tickets online so you just leave the ship walk to the train station and board the train. Here are the instructions:

Tickets for Warnemünde - Waren (Müritz):

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-warenmuritz-and.html

Day passes:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2010/04/warnemunde-kiel-lubeck-hamburg-germany.html

So if you are just two:

34.20 EUR

27.00 EUR

38.00 EUR

----------

99.20 EUR (in total for two)

========

Hope it's not more than you expected.

Regards

HeinBloed

Dear Heinbloed,

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Actually, the fare is less than we expected! I assume that the German trains usually run on time.

I am curious who you work for. We do not have a lot of large companies in Newton! I did work for a company that bought a company in Germany. You can respond by private email to me at lblg@comcast.net if you like.

Regards,

Theshoo

• 2 weeks later...
Your ticket is only valid on RE-trains.

Länderticket is a regional train product.

InterCity is a long-distance train product.

So Länderticket is not valid on InterCity.

Few options if you board the train without an InterCity Ticket:

1. The conductor will ask you to pay full price without any kind of discounts plus a small premium for onboard purchase.

2. The conductor is not so nice and ask you to pay the penalty: double fare min. 40 EUR.

3. If he is very nice and see that you are tourist without any German knowledge he might let you off the next station without any fines which would be Schwerin Hbf

Regards

HeinBloed

Hello

Sorry to contact you this way but we do not have skype|

We are arrving at Warmendue on Tuesday 15th June.The ship "Celebity Eclipse docks at 9am and leaves at midnight.We would like to spend some time at Schwern and Rostock at a leisurely pace.

I understand from your previous replies that the cruise ships berth close to the station and that we can purchase a one day ticket to cover our travel on the day.

I would appreciate if you have any timetable information in English as I have not had success with the German Railways web site.I have worked out that there are more than one station in Warmendue.Do all trains serve the port?

Many thanks for your reply

Charles

Hello

Sorry to contact you this way but we do not have skype|

We are arrving at Warmendue on Tuesday 15th June.The ship "Celebity Eclipse docks at 9am and leaves at midnight.We would like to spend some time at Schwern and Rostock at a leisurely pace.

I understand from your previous replies that the cruise ships berth close to the station

2010RostockWarnemuendeA11-vi.jpg

close enough???

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-train-station-guide.html

... and that we can purchase a one day ticket to cover our travel on the day.

exactly:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-all-destinations.html

I would appreciate if you have any timetable information in English as I have not had success with the German Railways web site.

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/index.shtml

ScheduleHamburg20101-vi.jpg

I have worked out that there are more than one station in Warmendue.Do all trains serve the port?

If you cannot enter "Warnemünde" you can also enter "Warnemuende".

As previously already mentioned you should skip and ignore the "warning" about multiple entries and just confirm "Warnemünde" which is the stop next to the cruise terminal. It's the terminal for the Rostock-bound commuter trains.

Regards

HeinBloed

close enough???

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/warnemunde-germany-train-station-guide.html

exactly:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-all-destinations.html

http://www.bahn.com/i/view/overseas/en/index.shtml

ScheduleHamburg20101-vi.jpg

If you cannot enter "Warnemünde" you can also enter "Warnemuende".

As previously already mentioned you should skip and ignore the "warning" about multiple entries and just confirm "Warnemünde" which is the stop next to the cruise terminal. It's the terminal for the Rostock-bound commuter trains.

Regards

HeinBloed

Many thanks for your help.

Charles

Hi Heinbloed,

In the time table you provided, the earliest train that leaves Schwerin Mitte in the afternoon is at 15:48.

Is there one that leaves earlier than that? Is there one that leaves at 13:48? (2 hours earlier)?

Thanks.

Ella

Hi Heinbloed,

In the time table you provided, the earliest train that leaves Schwerin Mitte in the afternoon is at 15:48.

Is there one that leaves earlier than that? Is there one that leaves at 13:48? (2 hours earlier)?

Thanks.

Ella

Sorry,

only if you pay extra for the use of IC InterCity Long-distance-service. Regional trains go every 2 hours.

Regards

HeinBloed

thank you very much Heinbloed.

Sorry, but I don't understand .. Do you mean that there is no "regional" train that goes from Schwerin Mitte at 13:48 to Rostock Hbf as 13:48 is exactly 2 hours before 15:48 printed on the time table that you provided.

Does the Landerticket cover all the "S" train that leaves Rostock Hbf at 16:56, 17:01, 17:16, 17:46, 19:01, 19;46, 21:01 etc? If that's the case, we can be more flexible in the returning time from Rostock to Warnemunde.

Ella

thank you very much Heinbloed.

Sorry, but I don't understand .. Do you mean that there is no "regional" train that goes from Schwerin Mitte at 13:48 to Rostock Hbf as 13:48 is exactly 2 hours before 15:48 printed on the time table that you provided.

Does the Landerticket cover all the "S" train that leaves Rostock Hbf at 16:56, 17:01, 17:16, 17:46, 19:01, 19;46, 21:01 etc? If that's the case, we can be more flexible in the returning time from Rostock to Warnemunde.

Ella

It's a day pass.

So on weekdays you can go on every regional train (black) and commuter train you want after 09.00 hrs until 03.00 hrs the next morning.

For your return from Schwerin:

as you stated correctly:

Every 2 hours like 13.48 hrs, 15.48 hrs, 17.48 hrs etc.

All other trains in between are red-colored IC InterCity Long Distance trains and you need an extra ticket.

You can go from Rostock back to Warnemünde on any until 03.00 hrs the next morning - so incl. those connections you mentioned above.

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi Heinbloed,

Thanks again for all your help.

I forgot to tell you that I used your help last year from Civitavecchia to Rome and it worked perfectly and saved me quite a few Euros!!!!

Now for Warnemunde, as we'll be in a foreign country and not speaking German, I would like to be 100% correct.

So, if I may impose on you one more time... Could you please review my plan here and let me know if it is ok.

My final plan for 4 people visiting Schwerin, Rostock and Warnemunde:

August 30, 2010 Monday NCL Sun 7:30 am to 10:00 pm

Buy Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommern for 26 Euro for 4 people on line before leaving for the cruise.

Buy ticket at Euro 1.7 each for 4 people at the Warnemunde train station for the Rostock train.

Take train from Warnemunde at 8:22 am (track 3) and arrive at Rostock Hbf at 8:43. (track 2) - Use the ticket at Euro 1.7 each

Then, use the Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommern for 4 people

Board train at Rostock at 9:07(track 6) and arrive at Schwerin Mitte at 10:14 am (Track 2)

Visit Schwerin.

Depending on how much we spend in Schwerin, we may leave Schwerin Mitte at 13:48 or 15:48 (Track 1 for both time??). Arrive in Rostock Hbf at 14:51 or 16:51 (Track 6).

Visit Rostock.

Leave Rostock Hbf at any of the trains that leaves at 17:01, 17:16, 17:46, 19:01 .... and arrive at Warnemunde 20 minutes later.

Visit Warnemunde. Back to ship.

Will the time table and train schedule change between now and August 30, 2010?

Cost of transportation per person is Euro 8.20. =( Euro 26/4 + Euro 1.70)

Is there a way to find out which pier the NCL Sun will dock at Warnemunde?

Is the Schwerin Castle the same as Schwerin Palace??

Thanks again!!

Attached is a picture from the back of our ship in Warnemunde. It shows the path to the train station. Follow the path around the white buildings and then left. The path goes under the tracks and comes up next to the ticket machines and ticket booth. You can see the station building in the upper left corner. It is all really close, about 5 minutes.

We found it easier to use the ticket agent since we were a small group and getting both the single ticket to Rostock and the daily pass to Schwerin.

After exiting the station in Schwerin Mitte, and using the great instructions from HeinBloed, we entered the shopping mall using the far right door and took the elevator. We were on level P3 (important to remember for when you return) and took it up one level. Now that you are in the shopping mall, go to your right all the way to the end doors and you will see the buildings and route Heinbloed has in his pictures.

We really enjoyed the castle and grounds. The grounds are as entertaining as the interior. It was well worth the visit.

We were not sure where to go to find a selection of restaurants for lunch. We ended up at one on the main road from the station. While ok, it had a limited menu. I wish I had thought to ask before leaving where to head from the castle for lunch.

We returned to Rostock on the 13:48 train and then spent 2 hours in Warnemunde. Most stores in Warnemunde closed at 5 so a later return would mean little time in this charming town.

We found the overall day very easy to do and I highly recommend others to give it a try.

IMG_0871.jpg.5a85970910c9f5009eb0f5eefe783441.jpg

Now for Warnemunde, as we'll be in a foreign country and not speaking German, I would like to be 100% correct.

So, if I may impose on you one more time... Could you please review my plan here and let me know if it is ok.

My final plan for 4 people visiting Schwerin, Rostock and Warnemunde:

August 30, 2010 Monday NCL Sun 7:30 am to 10:00 pm

Buy Landerticket Mecklenburg- Vorpommern for 26 Euro for 4 people on line before leaving for the cruise.

Buy ticket at Euro 1.7 each for 4 people at the Warnemunde train station for the Rostock train.

so far o.k.

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf15-vi.jpg

Touch "+ Another ticket" to get totally four tickets.

If you plan to go by tram from Rostock Central Station to Rostock City Center Center as well: BUY "All Day Collective Ticket" then you can use the trams as well, when you return from Schwerin to see Rostock City. 13.50 EUR for all 4 of you.

But do not forget to punch/validate/cancel your ticket before boarding the train.

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf09-vi.jpg

Full instructions see here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/02/warnemunde-germany-rostock-buying.html

Take train from Warnemunde at 8:22 am (track 3) and arrive at Rostock Hbf at 8:43. (track 2) - Use the ticket at Euro 1.7 each

So far o.k.

Board train at Rostock at 9:07(track 6) and arrive at Schwerin Mitte at 10:14 am (Track 2)

So far o.k.

Depending on how much we spend in Schwerin, we may leave Schwerin Mitte at 13:48 or 15:48 (Track 1 for both time??). Arrive in Rostock Hbf at 14:51 or 16:51 (Track 6).

So far o.k. - all Rostock-bound trains leave from Track 1 in Schwerin Mitte.

Leave Rostock Hbf at any of the trains that leaves at 17:01, 17:16, 17:46, 19:01 .... and arrive at Warnemunde 20 minutes later.

Absolutely.

Will the time table and train schedule change between now and August 30, 2010?

There will be schedule change in Europe on June 13 BUT it's the so-called minor schedule change i.e. if they want to open new lines they try to do it on this day.

But on your route there will be no chances scheduled so far.

Your schedule is currently safe for 98%.

We can try to update the week before you are going to Europe to make it 99% safe.

But finally there is always a very small risk... that there will be disruptions or delays or track changes. But normally do not worry: I only cannot garantee you 100% safety.

Cost of transportation per person is Euro 8.20. =( Euro 26/4 + Euro 1.70)

Subject you want to walk from Rostock Central Station ot the City Center: yes.

Is there a way to find out which pier the NCL Sun will dock at Warnemunde?

http://www.rostock-port.de/kreuzschifffahrt/anlaeufe/anlaeufe_2010.html

P7 means Terminal 1 what would be like here on this picture:

I am sure you will make it, but here you have more details:

Is the Schwerin Castle the same as Schwerin Palace??

We differ in the German language between "Burg" (normally translated in English as Castle) and "Schloss" (normally translated in English as Palace).

As it is called in German Schloss Schwerin the English expression Schwerin Palace would be more correct than Schwerin Castle. So normally it should be the same building.

DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE.

THE MORE GAPS YOU HAVE THE MORE YOU CAN BE DISAPPOINTED.

Have a great day in Germany.

Regards

HeinBloed

We found it easier to use the ticket agent since we were a small group and getting both the single ticket to Rostock and the daily pass to Schwerin.

Tickets to Rostock are same price.

But day passes to Schwerin is slightly higher (2 EUR) than using the machine or buying online.

Does not work for all cruisers due to opening times:

2010RostockWarnemuendeA13-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

• 10 months later...
Is it possible to get a direct train from warnemunde to schwerin without transfering in Rostock? Does it cost a lot more if we are traveling with 3 adults?

Hi, unfortunately it is not possible to get a direct train from Warnemünde to Schwerin, you have to change from the s-bahn to the main line in Rostock.

If you are starting your journey after 9am on a weekday or anytime on a weekend a Mecklenburg Lander ticket will cover the whole journey and cost €26 for three adults. If you want to depart Warnemünde before 9am (eg. to catch the 9.07 from Rostock)the section from Warnemünde to Rostock will cost an extra €1.70 each.

There is more info on this subject on the thread `Live in Rostock/Warnemünde, happy to help you enjoy`.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

so far o.k.

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf15-vi.jpg

Touch "+ Another ticket" to get totally four tickets.

If you plan to go by tram from Rostock Central Station to Rostock City Center Center as well: BUY "All Day Collective Ticket" then you can use the trams as well, when you return from Schwerin to see Rostock City. 13.50 EUR for all 4 of you.

But do not forget to punch/validate/cancel your ticket before boarding the train.

2010RostockWarnemuendeBf09-vi.jpg

Full instructions see here:

So far o.k.

So far o.k.

So far o.k. - all Rostock-bound trains leave from Track 1 in Schwerin Mitte.

Absolutely.

There will be schedule change in Europe on June 13 BUT it's the so-called minor schedule change i.e. if they want to open new lines they try to do it on this day.

But on your route there will be no chances scheduled so far.

Your schedule is currently safe for 98%.

We can try to update the week before you are going to Europe to make it 99% safe.

But finally there is always a very small risk... that there will be disruptions or delays or track changes. But normally do not worry: I only cannot garantee you 100% safety.

Subject you want to walk from Rostock Central Station ot the City Center: yes.

http://www.rostock-port.de/kreuzschifffahrt/anlaeufe/anlaeufe_2010.html

P7 means Terminal 1 what would be like here on this picture:

I am sure you will make it, but here you have more details:

We differ in the German language between "Burg" (normally translated in English as Castle) and "Schloss" (normally translated in English as Palace).

As it is called in German Schloss Schwerin the English expression Schwerin Palace would be more correct than Schwerin Castle. So normally it should be the same building.

DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK UNTIL YOU ARE 100% SURE.

THE MORE GAPS YOU HAVE THE MORE YOU CAN BE DISAPPOINTED.

Have a great day in Germany.

Regards

HeinBloed

Why are you suggesting getting off at Schwerin Mitte rather than HBF. It appears that the attractions and distance to the Castle is better from the main station. I think I read that you need to push a green button to open the doors of the train to exit.

Dave

Why are you suggesting getting off at Schwerin Mitte rather than HBF. It appears that the attractions and distance to the Castle is better from the main station. I think I read that you need to push a green button to open the doors of the train to exit.

Dave

Hi Dave, I am not sure why heinblod was suggesting Mitte, I much prefer Hbf, but these posts were from May 2010 and most of the information is out of date now. The times, fares and even the machines have all changed. The info which I gave you on my thread is bang up to date.

Yes you do need to press a button to open the doors but the trick is to stand behind someone else who looks local! There will be plenty of people getting off in both Rostock and Schwerin so don't panic.

Anni

Hi Dave, I am not sure why heinblod was suggesting Mitte, I much prefer Hbf, but these posts were from May 2010 and most of the information is out of date now. The times, fares and even the machines have all changed. The info which I gave you on my thread is bang up to date.

Yes you do need to press a button to open the doors but the trick is to stand behind someone else who looks local! There will be plenty of people getting off in both Rostock and Schwerin so don't panic.

Anni

Thanks Anni: I had read about a tourist waiting for the doors to open at the Mitte station and having the train leave with them still onboard! I e-mailed you about our schedule on June 23rd and look forward to seeing you then. As you know we have a tight schedule to visit Schwerin in the am and see you on our return through Rostock.

Dave

Archived