How SHOULD Princess Assign UPGRADES?

septrack

On another thread today the OP was upset after booking a GTY, with the cabin she was assigned. One factor in her dissastisfaction was originally given as her loyalty status. (She later amended this citing other issues)

While I agree with the majority that one should never be upset with whatever cabin you receive with a GTY, the point of how Princess should assign upgrades never was discussed at length.

I can certainly see how Princess opens itself up for criticism, by awarding something to a lesser loyal customer over a more travelled one. On the other hand Princess is a business and certainly has the right to assign upgrades as they see maximizes their potential profits.

My question is: If you were the CEO of Princess Cruise lines, how would you assign upgrades (if at all)? Personally, the ill will the current system generates, would definitely make me want to consider alternatives. What do you think?

(please lets not make this thread a rehash of the previous thread. Lets keep it centered on "a better way". ) TIA

Well, obviously, I would always upgrade myself to the best available cabin. I mean clearly no one is more deserving.

After that I would probably have some type of a point system. Points for crusies and also for onboard spending. It would be set so that no one (except me) got an upgrade every cruise.

On another thread today the OP was upset after booking a GTY, with the cabin she was assigned. One factor in her dissastisfaction was originally given as her loyalty status. (She later amended this citing other issues)

While I agree with the majority that one should never be upset with whatever cabin you receive with a GTY, the point of how Princess should assign upgrades never was discussed at length.

I can certainly see how Princess opens itself up for criticism, by awarding something to a lesser loyal customer over a more travelled one. On the other hand Princess is a business and certainly has the right to assign upgrades as they see maximizes their potential profits.

My question is: If you were the CEO of Princess Cruise lines, how would you assign upgrades (if at all)? Personally, the ill will the current system generates, would definitely make me want to consider alternatives. What do you think?

(please lets not make this thread a rehash of the previous thread. Lets keep it centered on "a better way". ) TIA

I don't think it generates that much ill will. I book GTY.s and never complained about my cabin. I do not think I am the only one.

Well, obviously, I would always upgrade myself to the best available cabin. I mean clearly no one is more deserving.

After that I would probably have some type of a point system. Points for crusies and also for onboard spending. It would be set so that no one (except me) got an upgrade every cruise.

Paul you mean if you have 10,000 posts on CC you get a suite.

Well, I have over 10,000 posts, and I don't want a suite!

I usually book the cabin I want, and request "no upgrades".

No matter what system Princess might have in place for complimentary upgrades, there will be someone who doesn't think the system is fair.

I think if I had empty more expensive cabins available, but could sell the cheaper fully booked cabins it makes good business sense to upgrade somebody. You get extra passengers and then happier passengers (hopefully) that have been given an upgrade. As for how, well id put the like for like ( if a family of four had booked and a family of 4 had to be upgraded) into a randomiser and upgrade the client that came out top. Random but fair.

Since Princess offers such great perks for their passengers who have reached Elite Status (at least I think they are great perks), I feel they give us rewards in other ways besides upgrades.

Many first time passengers book the very least expensive stateroom, and showing them there are better types of staterooms and better locations for staterooms (for more $$$'s) is tempting them by showing them first hand, on their first or second sailing, without extra cost to them, is quite smart IMHO.

Now, if they gave us, that travel Princess often, no perks at all, then I would say that those well traveled passengers on Princess would deserve the upgrades. But since they do compensate us in other ways, I tend to agree with the way it is handled now.

Why some believe they should get more than what they actually paid for has always amazed me. It's one thing to 'hope', but another to be angry and some 'really angry' because they should have been the one to receive the upgrade because of their loyalty. IMHO of coarse!

As we always tell cc members, book the minimum stateroom you will be satisfied with, that way you won't be disappointed if that is where you end up. If you should receive an upgrade, look at it as a gift, but never ever expect it. ;)

Hi all,

As I understand it just now the thing that drives up grades is sales,

if you pick a cabin grade that is in demand, you will be up graded.

The trick is to pick the cabin that everyone wants.

yours Shogun

I totally agree with Toto. We are only Platinum, but enjoy even the perks given to us. We did book a gty this year, only because we booked too late. We normally always pick the cabin we want and mark no upgrade. But, it was our fault for booking too late. We were assigned a cabin in our category, which is totally explainable, but not on the same deck we normally book. Was I hoping for an upgrade? Sure. But, am I disappointed or angry because I didn't get one? Not at all. I'm glad to just be cruising. In this day and age, I believe people EXPECT more and complain when they don't get it. Me, I'm just happy to be on a ship, cruising, and not at work. I don't have to cook, clean or worry about anyone but myself. (well, my DH, too ;))

Is Princess fair in their upgrades? I think so. But, others will always disagree. Mostly, it's the ones who think they should be upgraded all the time. Pick the cabin you want and be happy with it. Never expect more than what you paid for. If you want a balcony, then don't book an oceanview. If you want a mini-suite, then don't book a balcony, and so on and so forth.

Some people are so judgemental and think that the world owes them. Me, I'm just happy to be able to cruise every year.

OK. Off my high horse. (for now):D

Many first time passengers book the very least expensive stateroom, and showing them there are better types of staterooms and better locations for staterooms (for more $$$'s) is tempting them by showing them first hand, on their first or second sailing, without extra cost to them, is quite smart IMHO.

This is exactly what got us ( and probably many of you ) to only book balcony cabins. For our first cruise we booked an outside gty and got upgraded to a balcony and have booked balconies every since then. Once you get the taste of the good life ( balconies or better ) you rarely go back. I'm sure that is part of their strategy.

I think that the current way Princess does upgrade is not fair. Why should someone that never cruise with them and books a cheap cabin get a upgrade. Past passengers should come first. It makes you more loyal to the cruise line. The talk about all the perks - we are platinum - the perks we get do not add up to what a upgrade would be. We book longer cruises and usually only use one internet account. We get aboard maybe a few minutes earlier. Big deal!

What bother me is our last cruise we saw BA cabins that were empty. Why not give someone a nice upgrade - it doesn't cost Princess. The cabin is empty, and they are not going sell it went the ship sails.

Many years ago there was a Greek cruise line (Royal Cruise Line) that marketed in the USA. They always upgraded their past passengers. It was a wonderful cruise line. After the owner die, it was sold. To bad to lose a great cruise line. The service was unbelievable. You never carried you tray in the buffet. Those were the times.

Why do you need to be loyal. Most people do it for what's in it for them rather than the product. IMOP perks and loyalty are leading people to forget that this is a business. One too many whine and complain when the company/business do what they are suppose to do, which is to act in the best interest of making a profit. If I didn't pay for it I don't begrudge not getting it. I see the cruise line no more or less than vendors in ports. Their goal is to separate me from my cash. They are a bit more sophisticated. They give me the deal darn well knowing they can sucker me into $600 worth of pics. They can't have my loyalty because that is already reserve for God, family and country. Now I won't hold it against them if they don't give me something I did not pay for. If someone gets an upgrade I am truly happy for them. This doesn't mean they will have a better time on board unless the upgrade comes with all you can drink. I am not talking about lemonade:p

Ok, I am going to check my personalizer to see if I still have that quad I paid for, which cost more than 2 regular cabins.

My vent is over back!

If I were CEO....

I would have someone call guest (about 2 weeks prior to sailing) based on past cruise seniority with Princess. They would be offerred a 1 level (inside to outside, etc...) upgrade for 50% of the difference in value. Upgrading within class probably wouldn't be worth the time required. I would continue until all outside or better cabins were either filled or completely passed over. Then I would assign any remaining cabins (I'd bet there wouldn't be any left) to anyone not designated "no upgrade" based on loyalty seniority. The labor incurred to implement this would be neglagible compared to the added revenue. The upgrade cost percentage to pax, could be refined to maximize revenue.

I feel this would provide Princess far more income than the current protocol (encouraging first time cruisers, or shear luck, or whatever the current system is), and create a defensible system which does not alienate any past cruisers.

I agree with Toto that Princess loyalty program is the tops, but I feel treating past passengers with respect goes far. No matter how happy you are with Princess, very few people like to see someone with dramatically fewer cruises, get a free upgrade over the more frequent customer.

Just my 2 cents.

I guess I don't quite get the concept of upgrades. When I (and I imagine most cruisers) book a cruise, I book the cabin that I know I will be comfy in and what I can afford. I don't expect an upgrade (that being said I have been upgraded 2/2 LOL). I think an upgrade is like the lottery....if you hit it you hit it, if not that's OK. Princess can do whatever it wants in terms of upgrades.....it is the cruise that is important to me. Also who am I to tell Princess (or any other business owner) how to run their business? I just want to be a happy cruiser.

) TIA

AS CEO of Princess it is my job to maximize profits so I need to fill the ship on every sailing which will maximize profits so I have to find a way to sell in the final weeks those cabins still empty. Once I've figured out which cabins last minute passengers are most likely to purchase I'll need to empty those cabins if already filled and what better way then to upgrade those people to the cabins less likely to sell at the last moment.

If I give upgrades to those booking with us for the first time I'll not only fullfill my first goal but also entice them to return to our cruiseline a second time and feel they really WANT to book that higher priced cabin.

I realize that I can't give all the upgrades to first time cruisers since happy customers are more likely to return and I will upset those sailing with us multiple times if they never get an upgrade so I need to be sure some repeat customers also get an upgrade.

Elite guest? well they already join us often and get decent perks for doing so BUT neither do I wish to upset them either so they need to know that there is still a chance to get an upgrade so lets give them one once in a while too.

Yes, the current system does create those that arent happy but most of my ships with a few added incentives of reduced cruise prices are sailing full so since I know I can't make everyone happy no matter what I do and I know I need my ships to be full in order to actually make money on the addtional purchases cruisers will make while actually sailing, as CEO I guess I'd keep doing exactly what we're doing now.:D

Now if your questions was what do you "personally" think Princess should do that's an entirely different question and answer!:)

AS CEO of Princess it is my job to maximize profits so I need to fill the ship on every sailing which will maximize profits so I have to find a way to sell in the final weeks those cabins still empty. Once I've figured out which cabins last minute passengers are most likely to purchase I'll need to empty those cabins if already filled and what better way then to upgrade those people to the cabins less likely to sell at the last moment.

If I give upgrades to those booking with us for the first time I'll not only fullfill my first goal but also entice them to return to our cruiseline a second time and feel they really WANT to book that higher priced cabin.

I realize that I can't give all the upgrades to first time cruisers since happy customers are more likely to return and I will upset those sailing with us multiple times if they never get an upgrade so I need to be sure some repeat customers also get an upgrade.

Elite guest? well they already join us often and get decent perks for doing so BUT neither do I wish to upset them either so they need to know that there is still a chance to get an upgrade so lets give them one once in a while too.

Yes, the current system does create those that arent happy but most of my ships with a few added incentives of reduced cruise prices are sailing full so since I know I can't make everyone happy no matter what I do and I know I need my ships to be full in order to actually make money on the addtional purchases cruisers will make while actually sailing, as CEO I guess I'd keep doing exactly what we're doing now.:D

Now if your questions was what do you "personally" think Princess should do that's an entirely different question and answer!:)

Thank you for articulating what apparantly is Princess policy on upgrades. Yes, I was asking if you were the CEO, so obviously your primary concern is maximizing profits to increase shareholders value. I still question if the current system would come closer to this goal than attempting to discount those cabins only weeks prior to sailing.:rolleyes:

Win/win solutions are always the best.

Both my fiance and I have never cruised before however Princess upgraded us TWICE. By the time we are on the cruise, we will be on our honeymoon hence 2 upgrades which was super nice of them. I am assuming it's because we are new cruisers too.

Gotta love it! As Princess CEO I would upgrade based on loyalty (a points program?) and also based on special occasions etc.

I agree with Toto that Princess loyalty program is the tops, but I feel treating past passengers with respect goes far. No matter how happy you are with Princess, very few people like to see someone with dramatically fewer cruises, get a free upgrade over the more frequent customer.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I completely disagree with your posts on this subject but the bolded statement really jumped out at me. That's pretty mean-spirited. I've never, ever felt anything less than delight for anybody that got an upgrade, even if their cruise card was "only" gold or blue. Sometimes life is just unfair and we have to suck it up and deal. Not getting an upgrade while a first-timer did is so way down on the unfair-o-meter as to barely register.

Anyway, you don't know for a fact that the majority of upgrades go to new cruisers. Anecdotally it seems that way, but bear in mind that the posters on this board are but a small fraction of the cruising public -- unless you've worked for Princess, you simply have no way of knowing if people with fewer cruises get more upgrades. And anyway, past passengers get plenty of other perks that more than make up for the lack of upgrades. It's foolish and unrealistic to think that there's any way the ginormous number of elite and platinum cruisers could somehow all be accommodated with upgrades on the majority of their sailings, which is pretty much what you're wanting.

I would do it by height.

Well, I completely disagree with your posts on this subject but the bolded statement really jumped out at me. That's pretty mean-spirited. I've never, ever felt anything less than delight for anybody that got an upgrade, even if their cruise card was "only" gold or blue. Sometimes life is just unfair and we have to suck it up and deal. Not getting an upgrade while a first-timer did is so way down on the unfair-o-meter as to barely register.

Anyway, you don't know for a fact that the majority of upgrades go to new cruisers. Anecdotally it seems that way, but bear in mind that the posters on this board are but a small fraction of the cruising public -- unless you've worked for Princess, you simply have no way of knowing if people with fewer cruises get more upgrades. And anyway, past passengers get plenty of other perks that more than make up for the lack of upgrades. It's foolish and unrealistic to think that there's any way the ginormous number of elite and platinum cruisers could somehow all be accommodated with upgrades on the majority of their sailings, which is pretty much what you're wanting.

I totally agree with you and Toto. I don't get it! If you aren't happy with a GTY, why book it? I think it only cost us $50.00 more to pick our cabins. Then we had them marked no upgrade, because we had what we wanted. We always travel with several other couples, and it is important to us to be together. We would never think of booking a GTY unless we were traveling by ourselves.

We usually book a cat BB on the back of the ship and would be mad if we got an upgrade (unless it was to a full suite on the back). We have our bookings marked no upgrade.

I think like it was said eairlier, they upgrade people that are in the cabins that will sell quickly last minute. They probably don't even look to see who is booked in them.

Archived