Dining with adults only?

grummanyankee

I don't want to offend anyone who will be bringing children on their cruise. I think it's great and we did too, when our son was at home, however, at this stage of our lives, we prefer to dine with adults only. Does anyone know how you go about requesting this?

I don't want to offend anyone who will be bringing children on their cruise. I think it's great and we did too, when our son was at home, however, at this stage of our lives, we prefer to dine with adults only. Does anyone know how you go about requesting this?

The only way to insure that you won't be dining with children is to eat in the Speciality Restaurant each evening. They don't allow children under the age of 12.

I can say that it is highly unlikely that you will be placed at a table with children unless you have children with you. In all our cruises, that has never happened unless we brought our own or our grandchildren. There may be some near you, but even that is unlikely.

Discuss your preferences with the Maitre D' just after you board the ship... He/she might not be able to assure that there are no children in proximity to you in the dining room [a rather tall order] but should be able to seat you at an adults only table if you are not originally assigned to one...

Request a table for two. The only way you will be guaranteed no kids at your table.:)

More ways to avoid small kids....

Avoid school vacations time.

Go on longer cruises 10 days or longer.

Eat at late dining seating.

Not sure what level the presence of children is an issue, but we've sailed more than a few 'X' cruises, and have never had an issue with kids in the MDR. Only time we shared with a child was when we brought our daughter. And as to kids in nearby tables, I've not had any real problems with their behavior - had them with drunks (just using the real definition of them), and overbearing load adults. Never had any issues with 'real kids' except 'adult kids'. So I agree that you need to let Celebrity know now either directly or through your TA, then check when you get on board. But shouldn't be an issue.

Just so you understand I'm not an anti-kid basher, been on other cruiselines where people put all their kids at a single table with no adults and things can get out of hand for those around. Haven't seen that on Celebrity, so when the kids start to act up, their parents are affected, not just us. Celebrity has great kid programs and we rarely 'see' the kids except when they march through from one area to another with the Celebrity program people.

Let them know your request, and have a great cruise.

Denny

Some suggestions for the OP.

1) Ask for Late Seating (fewer kids);

2) Pre-request that there be no children at the table;

3) Check with the Matre D' in the afternoon of the first day and ask to be reseated if there are children at your assigned table.

We have two boys ages 7 and 10. On our last X cruise, we were initially placed at a table for 8 with no other children. We asked to be moved to a table for 4 so that we did not subject our generally well-behaved boys to adults who might like a child-free dinner. We did this before the first dinner to save anyone from any embarrassment.

It is your cruise and you should do what you want in order to enjoy it. Have a great cruise.

The only way to insure that you won't be dining with children is to eat in the Speciality Restaurant each evening. They don't allow children under the age of 12.

I know this is supposed to be the "rule" but on the evening we ate in the Normandie (Summit), there was a very small child (I guess about 6 years old?) at the table next to us who was the centre of attention with both her own table and the staff; this was particularly disappointing, since we had chosen not to bring our 13 year old with us, assuming that he would definitely be in the minority, even "over" the permitted age. It would appear that there are rules for some .....!!

Don't know what ship you are planning on going on, but if it is one of the Solstice class ships, booked Aqua Class. Since the AQ class cabins are designed for only two passengers, you are way less likely to find kids. Blu is an upscale restaurant that most kids wouldn't like either. They also have many tables for two

Some suggestions for the OP.

1) Ask for Late Seating (fewer kids);

2) Pre-request that there be no children at the table;

3) Check with the Matre D' in the afternoon of the first day and ask to be reseated if there are children at your assigned table.

We have two boys ages 7 and 10. On our last X cruise, we were initially placed at a table for 8 with no other children. We asked to be moved to a table for 4 so that we did not subject our generally well-behaved boys to adults who might like a child-free dinner. We did this before the first dinner to save anyone from any embarrassment.

It is your cruise and you should do what you want in order to enjoy it. Have a great cruise.

Thanks to all for your input. I'll call my TA and have her arrange an adults only table. A late dinner to avoid children is not for us..I'd never be able to sleep if I ate that late. Also, eating in the specialty restaurant every night is way too expensive! I can't cruise after school is back in because I am a substitute school nurse, so I'm on vacation when the children are. The exception being our 45th anniversary April, 2010 when we'll sail to Bermuda. We're just 2 "old folks" who look forward to adult company at dinner for this Alaskan cruise.

I know this is supposed to be the "rule" but on the evening we ate in the Normandie (Summit), there was a very small child (I guess about 6 years old?) at the table next to us who was the centre of attention with both her own table and the staff; this was particularly disappointing, since we had chosen not to bring our 13 year old with us, assuming that he would definitely be in the minority, even "over" the permitted age. It would appear that there are rules for some .....!!

My gut feeling is that since Celebrity is trying to increase its share of the family cruising market they are reluctant to do anything that might antagonize that demographic.

As I stated in an earlier post, I believe that the main reason why Celebrity introduced Azamara, which is now its own brand in the RCI family, was to cater to its passengers who preferred Celebrity when its ships were not family oriented.

Archived