First Timers..suggestions?

jjhere2

For Alaska, think layers for clothes. Get out on the bow for glacier observation. Try the pea soup if offered out there. Bring light weight rainwear. Make sure you taste the bread pudding at the Lido lunch! bring binoculars if you are not in a suite. If a ranger comes on board to lecture, attend their lecture. Try the fudge in the candy shop in Juneau! I wanna go with you!!!! Have a great cruise.:D

jjhere2,

You will have a wonderful cruise. We loved our Alaskan cruise on the Westy. Read the daily program the night before and mark anything that might interest you, and you can plan your day accordingly.

Our favorite port was Sitka, hope you like it, too.

Do you have any specific questions?

There's only one thing that is a MUST and that is BINOCULARS. As you sail in the inside passage, every once in awhile, the cruise director or someone else will get on the PA and say something like, "look at that eagle up in the tree"; or when your in Glacier Bay, they'll point out seals floating on cakes of ice. Believe me, if you don't have binoculars you won't see anything. :rolleyes: Have fun.....Alaska is a great cruise experience. ;)

- Take lots of pictures. I was in such awe because my first cruise was to Alaska, that I didn't take enough pictures of Alaska and the ship. That problem is now solved - this June I took over 4000 pics on the Ryndam.

- Check the daily program IN ADVANCE so you don't miss any onboard activities you are interested in doing.

- Enjoy the wildlife. I've never seen so much on any other vacation, including Yellowstone, as I've seen from the ship. If you have the opportunity, the shore excursions allow you to see even more wildlife (whales, sea lions, otters, bears, eagles, birds).

- And the one little tip - don't forget a power strip/extension cord and lighted alarm clock. There is only one electrical outlet in your cabin, and no clock.

We are also off on our 1st cruise from Vancouver on the Volendam 29/07/09. Booked it all independently, flight UK to Vancouver, 3 nights Fairmont Waterfront, 7 day cruise, 3 night Whistler post cruise and 1 night Vancouver airport hotel before we fly back on 09/08/09. Just hope I haven't forgotten anything important, husbands esta ok, i've got 10 year american visa. Just want to go , next few days can't go fast enough!!. Don't know what we would have done if we hadn't found this site , lots of hints and tips , thanks.

As mentioned in other threads -- take your Activity Sheet with you particularly if there is something you want to do -- HAL ships do not bombard you with announcements every 10 minutes about what 'great' activity is getting ready to start. Some days the only announcement is the Captain/Sr Officer 'where we are - where we are going' mid day.

We are sailing on the Westerdam to Alaska the weekend. Any words of advice for first-time cruisers?

Thanks. :)

If you are okay with house wine, consider buying the 10-pour ($44 or so, includes 15% tip) or 20-pour wine card ($78 or so, includes 15% tip). HAL also lets you bring wine onboard for consumption in your cabin. Or you can take a bottle of your own wine to the dining room and consume with dinner for an $18 corkage fee.

If you need extra anything for your cabin, the cabin stewards are happy to help.

Check out the room service menu -- good stuff on it :) Consider room service breakfast as your "wake-up" call for days when you need an early start.

If you're on the itin that shows "Glacier Bay 10 am", GET UP EARLY and enjoy the majesty of the land, & lots of opportunities for whale watching long before you get near any glaciers.

Take your binocs even when onshore -- in Juneau I was talking to a woman who had seen mountain goats (lots of them) using her binocs and scanning the surrounding mountains.

If you aren't very familiar with your camera, GET familiar with it NOW :) (made that mistake!)

Whenever possible, get away from the dock areas..... meet some real Alaskans, not people who are working there for the summer.

Have fun, REMEMBER TO GET SOME REST, and understand you will want to do another cruise to Alaska :D

Took the Westerdam to Alaska last May. Save lots of money for shopping in Ketchikan. The $25 shirts in Juneau are only $10 in Ketchickan and NO long walks to buy them.

Stop by the Glacier Smoothie shop about 100 yards north of the dock in Jueau for some incredible soap.

Buy UlU knives in Ketchikan ($5.99).

Tongass Trading Company in Juneua is incredible!!

http://www.tongasstrading.com for a preview.

Archived