Missed ports of Mykonos or Santorini?

elaineb

In 2006 Mykonos was a stop on my cruise. When we arrived, the seas were rough and it was windy and we missed Mykonos. This was late July.

Mykonos is once again a stop on my upcoming cruise (starting next week), we'll see if we make it this time.

From what I've heard about Mykonos, the dock there is first-come, first-serve. If your cruise ship is the first one there, then you can dock and there's no problem (most of the time) with stopping there.

The problem generally comes when your cruise ship is not the first one there and you are forced to tender. The seas tend to be rough and it's windy there (hence the windmills), so that situation becomes more dicey.

Good luck with your planning!

dangerous days are "meltemia" season.. these are days are between july 15th to September 20th... this doesn't mean all these days have strong wings..

Mid-July through September is what my spouse read as well in planning our do-over last month. After our miss last September, my spouse decided that spring would be best, and the sea was like glass there on June 6.

Santorini is a much more protected port, so it is missed far, far less often; the big problem appears to be Delos/Mykonos.

Thanks for the great information. We are looking at October 9th. I don't do well in extreme heat, so that's why we are leaning towards October. We did a land tour of Italy in late May 2006 and in Southern Italy I was already melting! So summer is definitely out. I would guess early May or October would be best. Sounds like Mykonos is definitely a hit or miss, so I guess it is a good thing that this itinerary has both Mykonos and Santorini. If we miss Mykonos :( we can at least be cheered up on Santorini!

We were on Emerald Princess last August , around 18th, when the ship started listing badly so we were unable to visit Mykonos. We are on Brilliance in 2 weeks so hope for better luck this time. After reading some of the comments on this thread it sounds a bit 50/50, hope we make it this time.

Archived