Carnival Going Green..as in the Color of Money

TEXASMUNK

Effective next month, Carnival is saving the planet! Going to eliminate mailing those evil paper documents!

You need to print them yourselve so you can be the evil tree killer!

Hey, any twist of the Marketing gimmick is ok...But the reality...

They eliminate the purchase of pre-adhesive baggage tags

They eliminate the printing of documents

They reduce paper costs

They eliminate the job of stuff envelopes with all that stuff

They eliminate postage costs.

Effective way to enhance profit margins, but please, enough of the GREEN **** . (no, not the s word, another word, less crude).

The photos are digital and the unclaimed prints are recycled. The commercial processing machines produce prints at minimal cost so they can easily afford to print out all the pictures on spec. Fact is, if people have to go to the effort of ordering a print, they will do without.

Doc

I agree with your point that it is more a cost cutting measure then the desire to save mother earth.

Yet i dont understand all these whining posts about no more docs. Am i missing something cause on my computer i just hit print and out they come so i dont get the uproar over it.

The photos are digital and the unclaimed prints are recycled. The commercial processing machines produce prints at minimal cost so they can easily afford to print out all the pictures on spec. Fact is, if people have to go to the effort of ordering a print, they will do without.

Doc

I realize they are digital, isn't everything! Wrong choice of words on my part. What I meant is, that they should only print the photos that the purchaser are interested in. It still seems like a waste of something, even if they recycle the paper.

I agree with your point that it is more a cost cutting measure then the desire to save mother earth.

Yet i dont understand all these whining posts about no more docs. Am i missing something cause on my computer i just hit print and out they come so i dont get the uproar over it.

I agree that the electronic docs are a more cost effective and flexible option (I really like them) but some of the longer time cruisers that have become accustomed to getting that big, blue "dossier" in the mail probably feel a little sense of loss. There was a definite sense of "I'm really going!" when it arrived. Maybe they come across as whining but there's always people uncomfortable with change... to varying degrees. ;)

I think many repeat cruisers will not print off all the docs, which will save some trees and $$$. For instance, I would never print off the cruise contract to read, the flyers for brochures or the gifts onboard. We're to the point now where we only print the boarding pass, which is a whole lot less than we used to get mailed.

I think many repeat cruisers will not print off all the docs, which will save some trees and $$$. For instance, I would never print off the cruise contract to read, the flyers for brochures or the gifts onboard. We're to the point now where we only print the boarding pass, which is a whole lot less than we used to get mailed.

Fact of the matter is, in most cases there is no need to print out anything but maybe 1 copy of the funpass per booking. You can even get luggage tags at the pier.

O/T, why does someone from Ottawa have the White House as an Avatar? :confused:

I realize they are digital, isn't everything! Wrong choice of words on my part. What I meant is, that they should only print the photos that the purchaser are interested in. It still seems like a waste of something, even if they recycle the paper.

The paper they are printing those tens-of-thousands of prints on still costs money...and I'm sure it's not recycled paper. It's great they recycle what is left over, but it's still a waste to begin with. I would much rather walk up to one of 100 monitors & scan thru images to find mine.

Here is my question though...I don't mind printing docs at home...but what about luggage tags? What do people do without the adhesive luggage tags? I can just see my paper tags getting wet/torn/damaged and falling off...and I get no luggage delivered to my room.

Fact of the matter is, in most cases there is no need to print out anything but maybe 1 copy of the funpass per booking. You can even get luggage tags at the pier.

O/T, why does someone from Ottawa have the White House as an Avatar? :confused:

My avatar is usually wherever we're going next. We're going to DC next weekend. It's one of my favorite cities. Good food, excellent (and free) museums and a bit more heat than we have had this summer.

The paper they are printing those tens-of-thousands of prints on still costs money...and I'm sure it's not recycled paper. It's great they recycle what is left over, but it's still a waste to begin with. I would much rather walk up to one of 100 monitors & scan thru images to find mine.

Here is my question though...I don't mind printing docs at home...but what about luggage tags? What do people do without the adhesive luggage tags? I can just see my paper tags getting wet/torn/damaged and falling off...and I get no luggage delivered to my room.

Let alone the ink that's wasted.

you can get luggage tags at the port

My avatar is usually wherever we're going next. We're going to DC next weekend. It's one of my favorite cities. Good food, excellent (and free) museums and a bit more heat than we have had this summer.

How cool, I like that!

there are enough option s for luggage tags that i don t even worry about it..

it s alway s nice to have the hard copies sent you..it sorta tell s me that

someone at the top is thinking about us..but, now i get just as excited when i see my guest pass on the screen..:D

since i don t have a printer..i have to copy and paste.. then send it to my wife at work to have her print our doc s on her printer..

i really do have concern about the elderly who don t have printer or have relied on snail mail in the past..i know i resent it when they take away my options..especially when that option has been my bread and butter in the past..

I agree that the electronic docs are a more cost effective and flexible option (I really like them) but some of the longer time cruisers that have become accustomed to getting that big, blue "dossier" in the mail probably feel a little sense of loss. There was a definite sense of "I'm really going!" when it arrived. Maybe they come across as whining but there's always people uncomfortable with change... to varying degrees. ;)

And the same could be said about airline tickets.....we adjusted to Etickets just fine.:rolleyes: If you want a fancy package of travel documents, book a land vacation package but those documents have lost their level of excitement as well. :o

I say to those whining.... GET OVER IT ! :eek:

A lot of people print and fold the luggage tags and then laminate or faux laminate with clear contact paper, then staple around luggage handle.

Why do people insist on wasting the money for these laminates when a simple roll of clear packing tape will do the trick ! :eek:

there are enough option s for luggage tags that i don t even worry about it..

it s alway s nice to have the hard copies sent you..it sorta tell s me that

someone at the top is thinking about us..but, now i get just as excited when i see my guest pass on the screen..:D

since i don t have a printer..i have to copy and paste.. then send it to my wife at work to have her print our doc s on her printer..

i really do have concern about the elderly who don t have printer or have relied on snail mail in the past..i know i resent it when they take away my options..especially when that option has been my bread and butter in the past..

I have clients that do not have a printer or even a computer.... So I do the work for them and print them out and mail to them... another PLUS for TA's that go the extra mile to help out a client. Would a cruiseline do this fo you if booking direct ??? Bet Not !!!

Been printing them out for a while and using a good ol fashion roll of clear packing tape from the Dollar Store... that and a couple staples and those luggage tags ain;t going anywhere ! :cool:

I'll try to describe what I do, and it works very well:

1) Fold the printed luggage tag as directed.

2) Cut a piece of clear packing tape that is a couple of inches longer than the luggage tag.

3) Lay the luggage tag face down on the sticky side of the packing tape, with an inch or so of tape exposed at either end.

4) wrap the tag around your luggage handle and make a loop by overlapping the exposed tape.

The tags are virtually indestructible when you do this. We have to cut them off with scissors when we get home.

The mailed documents cost quite a lot, from printing to postage. This will save Carnival $$$ and a few trees.

Absolutely and if I were running a business I would want to save money where possible. If it's environmentally beneficial, that is icing on the cake ;) Better to save money by having e-docs than saving money buy purchasing sub-standard foods or firing crew members.

I feel there has to be a better way to do photos as well. I would think that there could be some way to track the photos taken of you by your S&S account. That way you come up to the photo area and just type in S&S number and up pops all your photos. This would eliminate all the wasted paper, chemicals and time printing unnecessary or unwanted photos.

I feel there has to be a better way to do photos as well. I would think that there could be some way to track the photos taken of you by your S&S account. That way you come up to the photo area and just type in S&S number and up pops all your photos. This would eliminate all the wasted paper, chemicals and time printing unnecessary or unwanted photos.

RCL tried this but folks really resisted giving their S&S card when pictures were being taken. I think some feared they were being charged for the picture being taken. It made it harder for them to get people to pose.

I put this on my past few comment cards. Maybe if enough of us do they will stop wasting all the paper/chemicals. I even suggested being able to view them on the tv via your portfolio so you can order ones you want.

Why do people insist on wasting the money for these laminates when a simple roll of clear packing tape will do the trick ! :eek:

DW and I don't use tape or laminate on the paper luggage tags. We fold where indicated and staple. Never had any problems with luggage being delivered. If we fly, we place on the luggage after we gather luggage at airport and before we get to port. If driving, we staple before we leave home.

Don't see what all the ado is about with edocs?:confused:

Archived