Has Oceania Financial Problems or.......

Paul123

I was Oceania two years ago, booked a trip onboard...3 weeks laterwe decided that after 6 months away from home we cancelled, this was credited to my card...maybe a little different...

However, Oceania, has credited my current BOOKED cruise 6 months before sailing, $2004.00 CREDIT "OFF" my cruise, as they were having the 5 year Anniversary Year...all of the known cruise critic passengers received this credit...and now this cruise is "SOLD OUT" and Oceania is looking for passengers that are willing to pull out of the Sept 4, Athens to Rome sailing...

so Oceania is doing very well.

Look at the sailing for the year...it is mind blowing they are wait listed in most, if not sold out...IN ALL CRUISES!

So sorry you had to wait for your credit...not sure what our contract is with Oceania to cancel...as we prefer not...we are sailing on..with Oceania!

For good order sake I can report that I have indeed talked with FDR who is now on my case. He has assured me that it is the case at Oceania that refunds are made immediately automatically and he can not fathom what could have happened in my case. I guess all will be revealed in due course. Some of the posters on this thread have confirmed that they did indeed receive refunds within a few days. I seem to be the exception.

As the previous poster said, FDR is 'a class act' and this will be proved to me very shortly when my bank account is $3,000 better off.

The general accessibility of the President of this company to pax with real concerns over their problems with his company is testimony to the reasons why this company is doing so well in a very competitive market.

FDR did again confirm that their booking levels are right back on target and few cabins are available on most of their ships.

I hope this matter is now closed.

Two things come to mind about this saga; firstly, anyone in Paul123's situation would be best advised to contact the cruise line direct for their version as well as the TAs; secondly, it sounds very much as though the initial refund has been "lost" - possibly due to a manual "keying" error which results in the wrong account being credited ( which after investigation is often the case).

Have received one refund for $1455 from Oceania on my Visa card/bank account this morning (posted yesterday). Unbelievable the 3% foreign transaction fee has again been deducted by the Visa/bank people.

FDR is on the case after my chat with him last night.

However, Oceania, has credited my current BOOKED cruise 6 months before sailing, $2004.00 CREDIT "OFF" my cruise, as they were having the 5 year Anniversary Year...all of the known cruise critic passengers received this credit...

I do not understand why they would only discount CC members:confused:

Perhaps when you booked they were full price (2 for 1) & when the promotion came out early last fall you were credited the discount offered under the Promotion which was $2000. off per stateroom for that sailing.

Seems more likely than your theory that offered only to CC members ...they would have a lot of unhappy cruisers;)

Lyn

[Lyn, I know thru my ta EVERYONE that had been booked on any of Oceanias ships were given this discount...I stated that all the passengers that I had contact on CC members had also received this credit...

THIS IS a very good BUSINESS practice...Oceania has done very well in retaining the past passenger basis...We are VERY HAPPY with Oceania..

quote=LHT28;20558121]I do not understand why they would only discount CC members:confused:

Perhaps when you booked they were full price (2 for 1) & when the promotion came out early last fall you were credited the discount offered under the Promotion which was $2000. off per stateroom for that sailing.

Seems more likely than your theory that offered only to CC members ...they would have a lot of unhappy cruisers;)

Lyn

THIS IS a very good BUSINESS practice...Oceania has done very well in retaining the past passenger basis...We are VERY HAPPY with Oceania..

Of course it is.

Lyn

P.S. if you click the quote button in the message you are replying to it make it much easier to read you new comments

I have now been advised by FDR of the following:-

1. It is noted in the history of the reservation that the Travel Agent was advised that the refund would take 2-3 weeks. Our current policy is that refunds are processed on a weekly basis and reflect on the guests statement within 2-3 weeks of the cancellation date (may depend on the guest's billing cycle).

2. Both reservations have been refunded as follows: (then details of the refunds although only one has actually been received by me with the other pending I assume until early next week)

So mystery solved. It's a 2-3 week timing for booking cancellation refunds and then they are not paid out until the end of that week possibly stretching it over the three week mark. The only thing I can't reconcile is those posters on here that say they have received booking refunds from Oceania in a few days as opposed to a few weeks! My TA was seemingly unaware of the refund policy from Oceania.

The 3% foreign transaction fee does not apply to my refund as I erroneously thought it did. This was to do with the way I was compensated for the 3% charge made on my initial deposit payment.

Oceania say they will send me a check for the 2 x $45 outstanding to me.

Happy cruising to everyone.

Don't you all think it's time to close this thread!!!!

SEE: Oceania Sales Healthy Again!

FDR may say that bookings are "healthy" but is that marketing hype or truth? From what I had previously heard, the higher class suites tended to sell out on the first day or so of being offered. Right now, that is not the case - only a couple of the 2010 cruises have any class of cabin wait listed.

The public will only know the real health of any cruise line once we get closer to the 2010 sailing dates and see what discounts and incentives are being offered.

I'm happy to say that my 2 x $1500 is now all back in my bank account. The second cancelled cruise deposit payment was released by Oceania yesterday sometime and was consequently sitting in my bank account this morning. It probably took 4 weeks for this second refund to come through.

So my original question on this thread was " Does Oceania have financial problems or do they just take forever to pay back refunds".

The answer does seem to be that they do not have noticeable financial problems but they do take forever (compared with other lines I have dealt with) to pay back cancelled booking deposits.

All's well that ends well and thanks FDR for the intervention, you are indeed a gentleman.

I'm happy to say that my 2 x $1500 is now all back in my bank account. The second cancelled cruise deposit payment was released by Oceania yesterday sometime and was consequently sitting in my bank account this morning. It probably took 4 weeks for this second refund to come through.

So my original question on this thread was " Does Oceania have financial problems or do they just take forever to pay back refunds".

Glad you got your refunds

It appears most people get the refunds to their CC in less than a week but is some cases (yours) it may take longer.

So it appears not all refunds are treated the same

Lyn

The public will only know the real health of any cruise line once we get closer to the 2010 sailing dates and see what discounts and incentives are being offered.
With two large new ships coming in 2010 and 2011, increasing capacity by 120%, unless the economy really recovers, filling them will be a challenge. As for discount percentages and goodies, cruise lines are very capable of window dressing. Some, including Silversea, will raise the nominal brochure price and then offer higher percentage discounts. Others can perhaps hold the brochure prices and have other imaginative ways. It is more complicated than what meets the eye!

Thank you Frank. Cavalry to the rescue! I'll phone.

Paul

I am happy for you that you were able to get your refund. When Oceania's predecessor went bankrupt, I did not receive any money back when my cruise was cancelled and I lost over $2,000. FDR had recently left the cruiseline and apparently felt no responsibility for their financial distress. I am glad that you were able to get a refund.

I am happy for you that you were able to get your refund. When Oceania's predecessor went bankrupt, I did not receive any money back when my cruise was cancelled and I lost over $2,000. FDR had recently left the cruiseline and apparently felt no responsibility for their financial distress. I am glad that you were able to get a refund.

Did Princess offer to pony up your two grand? Did Royal Caribbean?

The each own fleets of former Ren ships and are as much successors of Ren as Oceania.

Your eight year, nineteen post gripe is getting old. IMO, as O was formed as combined outgrowth of Crystal, Silversea and Orient, it is hardly a reincarnated Ren.

Time to let it go and move on.

Archived