Singing in the MDR

Willabee

It's done nightly, depends on your waitstaff as to when, with a good server you can be eating desert while they dance. We had a server from Hades our last cruise on Spirit and we never got desert before the dances, we were lucky to get something to drink most of the time, even his assistant didn't want to be around him so she made scarce:rolleyes:

Personally I don't like the singing and dancing, maybe one night, would be ok but every night gets old, however the food is good and besides the dancing the service is usually good to excellent so I think it's tolerable ;)

It's done nightly, depends on your waitstaff as to when, with a good server you can be eating desert while they dance.

With a really good server can we be finished and gone before it starts? :confused:

Once in awhile it would be ok but every night is boring stupid and a waste of time.

They do the same songs over and over and wish they would find some new songs already.

The waitstaff can barely keep up now and then they waste 10 minutes or so on this.

As a result we do not leave until close to 8 pm and they have to rush to get ready for the late seating.

I wish that singing would stay in the lounge and serving would stay in the DR IMHO

I can't see how Carnival can even use the words "formal" or "elegant" in association with their dining experience while still presenting this dog'n'pony show. Trained monkeys, in some cases, mouthing words they don't even understand. With any luck and good servers I'm usually outta there before the hoopla starts. :)

After reading all the negative post of cruisers that have been cruising a long time, I made it a point to ask all our waiters how they felt. Yeah, I know you're going to say they have to say they like it. I really don't believe that. Some of the waiters tell me they think it's kind of cheesy, but it helps them relax on a hard day/night on the job. So, the people that don't care for it or it bothers you to the point where you have to duck out of the dining room; maybe it's time for a break from Carnival. I have seen plenty of families that love it! Just my 2 cents!

I for one enjoy the singing and dancing in the MDR.

I hear alot of you saying it was nice on my 1st cruise but now I'm on cruise 400 million and it is old. Well think about all the people that this is their first cruise and are seeing it for the first time. Shame on you for wanting to cheat them out of something you admitted you enjoyed your first time also.

You all know when it is going to begin, at the end of the meal when the wait staff is hard to find, you know it is almost show time, so save yourself the headache and duck out

I hear alot of you saying it was nice on my 1st cruise but now I'm on cruise 400 million and it is old. Well think about all the people that this is their first cruise and are seeing it for the first time. Shame on you for wanting to cheat them out of something you admitted you enjoyed your first time also.

You all know when it is going to begin, at the end of the meal when the wait staff is hard to find, you know it is almost show time, so save yourself the headache and duck out

I've never liked that type of activity. Shame on me still? :confused:

I can't see how Carnival can even use the words "formal" or "elegant" in association with their dining experience while still presenting this dog'n'pony show. Trained monkeys, in some cases, mouthing words they don't even understand. With any luck and good servers I'm usually outta there before the hoopla starts. :)

I agree with you. This charade ruins any semblance of formality in the dining room. There is nothing elegant about this fiasco and most people cannot stand it.

What can I say about the "singing?"

Its not as bad as the Red, White, and Blue teams SCREAM OUT was. Pretty awful, but not as bad as that.

We think the "singing," means the DR is closed, time to leave! So we do!

I also enjoy the entertainment provided by the staff in the DR. We have had great servers and they are a part of why we enjoy the DR. Of course we enjoy the food also, we just try to see it as part of the experience and that the staff are trying to make this fun.

But, this is why everybody is different and would be a boring world if everybody agreed on everything all the time.

I don't care if they sing or not, but I do wish that we could have dessert BEFORE they start singing. We all (my traveling companions and most cruisers) like to have dessert, so for you to tell me before the singing starts to leave---well, if everyone came on time to dinner, maybe that would be possible, but we all know there are those who come late and are more important than the rest of us, so, even though we came on time, still want to have dessert and not the singing.

I am not trying to "cheat anyone" but you are suggesting I leave before dinner is done.

I think that on most cruises, a large percentage, maybe even half of the people on board, have not been on a cruise before. So for them, it is a new experience. To me, it does not detract from the meal and although I have heard Oh Sole Mio or "Leaving Our Fun Ship" a few times, it is still a nice thing for new cruisers to see.

Archived