Beware of non-sponcered ship excursions

ckr31

Don't pigeon hole me shepp, I never said what I do other than enjoy the luxury cruisers lifestyle. I only commented on you telling me I don't see anything of interest because I go with the tourists and you wait for a train that is 4-6 hrs late in some remote train station in the middle of nowhere India. Did you ever wonder why you are the only westerner, like you pointed out so many times. I think you ought to consider that and leave it alone after that.

I've waited for a train in Italy for 4-6 hours that never came...

but that was hardly memorable...

What was memorable was our time in Eastern Turkey 3 months ago without another American or Brit around...

the generosity of the hotel owner of our literal cave hotel in Cappadocia...that tried to nurse me back to health from a bout of food poisoning that I received in the big city of Istanbul will never be forgotten

or the Turkish women waiting in line with me for a squat pot, that could see the distress on my face and allowed me to cut to the front of the line and when I exited had made me cool compresses for my face.

no one understood each other, but from these very poor rural woman I felt love

It was seeing the landscape that takes your breath away while you soar above it in a balloon...the best description is Mother Nature partied all night with Dionysus and became silly and slutty

on the same trip...

it was learning to speak basic Bulgarian while we explored the ancient Thracian land...visiting many towns that are protected World Heritage Sites, no one spoke English and we never saw anyone from USA or the UK.

It was us and our ability to embrace Cyrillic and the joy we had when the language of pantomine was understood by all

Smiles and laughter abounded on both sides of the pantomine

My list could go on as we've travelled back roads for quite awhile in addition to my cruises.

These are experiences that I will treasure more than any cruise I've been

on (and there have been a lot)

There is nothing wrong with stepping out of the comfort a cruise offers.

I believe everyone on this board should reset their barometer at least once in their lifetime...

Thanks, Where to next. You reminded me of a story that I will have for the rest of my life, because I left the beaten path.

My mom and I were in Hangzhou, China and decided to leave the tour group to go off on our own. We wandered the street and were greeted by many friendly stares from the local population. People would stop us and take our picture with camera phones.

Finally we stopped in a nail salon (my mom needed a rest) and through a lot of pantomine, gesturing and pointing we negotiated a manicure for each of us. They kept touching their eyes and pointing to ours. We are Scandinavian, and have blue eyes. We think we may have been some of the only Westerners that they may have had face-to-face contact with.

The young girls that were doing our nails tried to speak English, but all they could do is hold up two fingers in a V and say USA (Beijing Olymipics).

Soon we drew a crowd at the window. At last, a woman around my mom's age (70's) came in and through a lot more gesturing we told them that we were mother and daughter. I had learned the Chinese handsigns for number and was able to tell her my mother's age. She had a real fascination with my mother's hair and kept touching it. We figured out it was because my mom had it dyed! Not an English word was ever spoken in the entire interchange.

When the girls finished our nails, we had a very difficult time paying them. They enjoyed the experience as much as we did and did not want to take any yuen from us. All told the two manicures cost about $4 a piece. No tipping allowed (trust me, we tried). The memory of their faces: priceless.

I am old..when I was young I took a backpack and did europe...cheap hotels rather than hostels as the latter had curfews....walked miles and miles...experienced what I could of other cultures...

I am now mature..better word than old...I know what I like..I don't have to experience a Thai village with dad out moving heroin and mom hiding his silver plated 45 under the baby (I have actually seen this)

I know what I like. I appreciate comfort..toilets with paper..running water...trains with padded seats...fellow travellers without strange diseases...that is why cruising is great..see a bit of the world but in comfort and safety

too soon I will be too old for that and will be watching our home movies and travel tv

so for the people who believe you have to travel like the locals to appreciate a culture..maybe so..but why is that the goal....I am sure you want to show tolerance towards other cultures...how about showing some to the cruising culture

I loved your post!!

My aim is too travel and by the age of 23 I had backpacked around Europe and Australia, now at 40 I class myself as a very well traveled woman, from Nepal to New York, from South Africa to Shanghai. My husband and I do our research and off we go.

However I would never berate anyone who wants to travel in comfort, if that's what you want. I hope you carry on enjoying your cruises as there is nothing wrong with comfort.

As for safety whether you do independent travel or tours etc, my biggest advice is watches! Wear a cheap watch more than anything else, you honestly can tell someones wealth by their watch.

For those of you, who found Jamaica scary, do not go to South Africa!!

I loved your post!!

As for safety whether you do independent travel or tours etc, my biggest advice is watches! Wear a cheap watch more than anything else, you honestly can tell someones wealth by their watch.

Same with purses. Wearing really flashy trendy shoes is a big independent travel "no". (I have seen it, too).

I have a very inexpensive watch, a good crossbody bag that has no lable or designer logo on it, and a pair of very comfortable and well constructed shoes that are practical and plain. When friends ask me where I got them, they are amazed at the designer. No markings = less of a target!

If I were a single female traveling by myself, I might agree with your statement. But, for the average traveler, I think you are going overboard with your statement.

The cruise ship tours are overcrowded, rushed, and just not our family's way to getting to know a new destination. We have been on 40+ cruises, and have had our best tours on our own via renting our own vehicles, hiring a local taxi, or hiring our own private guide prior to our departure.

On a cruise we took about 8 years ago, (which was a Princess cruise!) we were left without transportation back to the ship after a Princess Tour. We were on a cruise ship tour for certified scuba diving. We were dropped off by vans and taxi's for a spectacular diving experience in Belize. The dive shop did a great job during our dive, but after the dive we were left waiting waiting waiting for a taxi or van to take us back to the ship. The dive shop kept calling, and no one would come pick us up. So, a local family ended up taking us back to the ship in the back of their pick up truck. (They had to take one group of divers, and go back and get the other group. ).

By the time we got back to the ship, the planks had already been pulled up. The cruise ship did not even know that they had a tour that had not returned. The security officers verified that for us. There was a massive swarm of radio talk and officers coming out when we arrived and the news go out. We talked with the shore excursion desk upon our return, and they could not give us an answer as to why we were left with no return transportation - nor why Princess did not even know they had a tour group that had not returned.

We were on the Ruby Princess in May/June. We bought one tour through Princess. The rest of our tours were our own private tours that we arranged on our own. I won't even compare the difference in Princess Tours versus your own private tour. Let's just say that we were miserable with the Princess Tour. Rush, rush, push push, wait in line, stand in line. Hurry Hurry.

Patti

I am old..when I was young I took a backpack and did europe...cheap hotels rather than hostels as the latter had curfews....walked miles and miles...experienced what I could of other cultures...

I am now mature..better word than old...I know what I like..I don't have to experience a Thai village with dad out moving heroin and mom hiding his silver plated 45 under the baby (I have actually seen this)

I know what I like. I appreciate comfort..toilets with paper..running water...trains with padded seats...fellow travellers without strange diseases...that is why cruising is great..see a bit of the world but in comfort and safety

too soon I will be too old for that and will be watching our home movies and travel tv

so for the people who believe you have to travel like the locals to appreciate a culture..maybe so..but why is that the goal....I am sure you want to show tolerance towards other cultures...how about showing some to the cruising culture

Welll said Capt. After serving 20 very long years in the US Marines I too would like to travel in comfort and was relaying that point to my friend who likes the bug bites and was telling me I don't get to see the local flavor and experience the culture. well I thought this is a website for cruising the luxury ships of the world and enjoying what the cruise lines offers for an experience they reccomend and POW I don't know how to travel. I have stories myself but this isn't the VFW al the Marine Mustang website so we don't need lectures on travelling with the locals is the only way. I am long winded but I think Capt. Canuck is spot on.

You should have come with us on our independent tours in Italy, then. Comfortable vans with nice padded seats, no strange diseases onboard (unless personality quirks qualify:rolleyes:) and plenty of pit stops. Contrast that to a bus filled with 50 people, no loo on the bus, and stopping only when the tour guide allows it. Plus you may not be able to hear anything that the guide is saying, you're forced to keep pace with a 20-something and you could easily end the day cranky and tired.

My point is that it's perfectly safe to travel independently during your day in port and to have greater comfort in a small group than in a herd (while saving some money to boot). You just have to do your research. And all that thinking keeps the brain working.:)

Really a bit of sensationalizing. One should use care, caution, and be aware of your surrounding the moment you leave your comfort zone.

There are times when ship sponsored excursions are in your best interest regardless of cost, other times not. Regardless, there is enough information to make good, wise, and safe choices. We will do Butchart Gardens with the ship for $256. Privately this would be $122. With only 5 hours in port and possible delays, paying double is worth the peace of mind. This is not $20 or $30 bucks more. Sadly more and more people are booking the cheap cruise deal and packing everything except a nice outfit for dinner and an ounce of common sense.

Welcome to Victoria! When are you coming?

Heck I think I will start up my own tour company if I can charge even $122 for Butchart Gardens. It is a beautiful place and I am sure you will have great tour. I will watch your ship come in from my balcony.

Welcome to Victoria! When are you coming?

Heck I think I will start up my own tour company if I can charge even $122 for Butchart Gardens. It is a beautiful place and I am sure you will have great tour. I will watch your ship come in from my balcony.

Leaving to Alaska on August 7th, so in Victoria on the 14th.

Princess is charging $69 per person with NO tiered kids rate, so my son is also $69. For my daughter it's 'only' $49. We are looking forward to it and will do it one way or the other. Yep, $20 or $30 bucks is a lot when it's times 4.

Are there cabs outside the gardens for an easy return trip? Miss the 'boat' and we could all end up on your balcony :-)

Thanks

Don't pigeon hole me shepp, I never said what I do other than enjoy the luxury cruisers lifestyle. I only commented on you telling me I don't see anything of interest because I go with the tourists and you wait for a train that is 4-6 hrs late in some remote train station in the middle of nowhere India. Did you ever wonder why you are the only westerner, like you pointed out so many times. I think you ought to consider that and leave it alone after that.

Sorry, but, um, I never said anything about what you do or don't enjoy, while you told me that I "enjoy" insects and smelly toilets, ok? Sorry if you took offense. I might have come off as something of a reverse snob, but what I meant to say was that the "cruise lifestyle" makes us all feel that everything should be handed to us with a smile. (We've all seen posts where someone swears they'll never cruise Random Line again because they were served the wrong spoon with their tea or didn't get a fish knife.) Of course, people on guided tours do see "things of interest." But sometimes, rewards only come with work and a willingness to take risks.

And the reason I think we were just about the only Westerners at the hilltop temples of Palitana is not because of the quality of the restrooms, but because it was a place fairly unknown to Western tourists, and far from the well-worn Jaipur-Udaipur-Agra loop (though by now it might, thanks to India's increasing popularity as a destination, be a lot more crowded with travelers). And yes, sorry, there was something about being virtually alone with a handful of Jain priests in one of the most amazing places I've seen - http://www.jainpanchang.com/images/tirth/Palitana.jpg - did make the day even more special.

We all know that many Americans can be insular travelers, the sort of folks who land in a new culture and head straight for Margaritaville. That's their right, of course, and I'm sure that they enjoy themselves. In fact, they might well feel I'm missing out because I don't get soused and whoop it up. And, hey, maybe I am indeed missing out.

One more story and then I'll leave it alone. When we were in Sri Lanka, we took a funky local train up to a hill station, took a private (because there were no other tourists around) tour of a tea factory, and then, after hitching a ride partway on a truck, walked down through the tea plantations back to the station. There was something going on at the local temple, and when we looked inside, we were invited to be honored guests at a Hindu wedding. That was truly memorable, the sort of experience we never would have had if we'd stuck to "pristine," preordained tourism, and honestly, I have no memory at all of the toilets I used that day.

Wedding.jpg.ed9ea9a1d2b5c28459c25b04db904c0d.jpg

There are those who prefer to emulate the goldfish, safe and snug swimming in his bowl.

There are those who prefer to battle the current and swim upstream seeking the new, novel, strange, and even perhaps risky at times.

Either is a choice. Some folks are only comfortable in their snug, safe, bowl. Others of us relish that upstream current.

Neither of us can choose the path for the other.

I don't want to beat this to death, but I really don't see how I was being intolerant of "the cruising culture." No, I really don't fully understand people who land in a foreign port only to spend their time getting drunk in a bar with other cruisers, or shopping for the same sort of jewelry they can buy at home. I mean, why is that the goal? But hey, it's no skin off my nose.

I just found the "Oh, we couldn't possibly stray from the womb of prepackaged tours because what if something scary happened?" attitude of some of the posts rather sad. Understandable, yes, of course...but kinda sad.

It's not an either/or. I enjoy waving my napkin at the Baked Alaska as much as the next guy. But - since you wondered - part of the reason I travel is not so much to "show tolerance," as to experience things I never would at home. Not just to see things through the windows of a tour bus (though I have been on those, yes) but to go on adventures that may, in fact, change how I think, who I am, and how I view my place in the world.

I know that sometimes I'm just some schlub playing trivia for a Princess luggage tag, but I have an urge to be a citizen of the world, too. Life's too short to stay at home - both physically and mentally.

There are those who prefer to emulate the goldfish, safe and snug swimming in his bowl.

There are those who prefer to battle the current and swim upstream seeking the new, novel, strange, and even perhaps risky at times.

Either is a choice. Some folks are only comfortable in their snug, safe, bowl. Others of us relish that upstream current.

Neither of us can choose the path for the other.

Well said Roses2.

I don't want to beat this to death, but I really don't see how I was being intolerant of "the cruising culture." No, I really don't fully understand people who land in a foreign port only to spend their time getting drunk in a bar with other cruisers, or shopping for the same sort of jewelry they can buy at home. I mean, why is that the goal? But hey, it's no skin off my nose.

I just found the "Oh, we couldn't possibly stray from the womb of prepackaged tours because what if something scary happened?" attitude of some of the posts rather sad. Understandable, yes, of course...but kinda sad.

It's not an either/or. I enjoy waving my napkin at the Baked Alaska as much as the next guy. But - since you wondered - part of the reason I travel is not so much to "show tolerance," as to experience things I never would at home. Not just to see things through the windows of a tour bus (though I have been on those, yes) but to go on adventures that may, in fact, change how I think, who I am, and how I view my place in the world.

I know that sometimes I'm just some schlub playing trivia for a Princess luggage tag, but I have an urge to be a citizen of the world, too. Life's too short to stay at home - both physically and mentally.

Again I truly enjoy your zest for life. Even now at 56 my DH and I have that urge of the way we traveled "then" but now we try to do it through cruises and do go off the beaten track at various ports and if at all possible taking independent excursions and immerse in the culture, even for 8 hours or whatever time we have left at the port. Not much vacation time where DH works so that makes it difficult. Makes us jealous at my family in Holland who enjoy 4 weeks a year if not more. Oh well just can't have it all.

Thanks for sharing your travel story and pictures ~ Els

I'm a first time cruiser. My DH and I have scheduled one private excursion already (renting a Harley on St. Maartin). I have also signed up for one ship sponsored event. My thoughts are; if it makes you nervous, how much will you enjoy? I personally take all the tips I can get from CC and use my best judgement. I'm planning on a GREAT trip. Can't wait !!!!!!!

I can understand the attittude of the OP and others that enjoy cruise ship excursions, but for us, we avoid those excursions as much as possible. We have cruised all over the world (6 continents) and probably taken 4 or 5 cruise ship excursions in about 2 years of cruising. To us, the cruise line excursions are more like group "cattle calls" where folks are herded like cattle to the touristy places that welcome large groups. We prefer to be on our own, or perhaps with another couple, and go where we want, when we want, with who we want. Cruise ship excursions really have major limitations. For example, there is no cruise bus tour that can go into the wonderful town of Positano, Italy and cruise ship bus tours can only give you a glimpse of the town from above (buses are not allowed in Positano). Folks on full day cruise tours in Europe will often have lunch included and they must eat in large touristy restaurants that cater to large groups. For us, we generally choose a small well-located outdoor cafe where we can have a relaxing lunch and people watch. We could also talk about cost. The cruise line shuttle buses that run from Civitavecchia to Rome generally cost about $75 per person. On the other hand, one can take the free shuttle bus from ship to port entrance, walk 4 blocks to the train station, buy a BIRG ticket for 9 Euros (includes round trip train to Rome plus full days use of all the buses and metro in Rome) and be in Rome before most of the tour buses (the trains are often faster than the buses). In Dubrovnik, instead of paying over $20 per person for a shuttle ticket from ship to town, we simply took the local bus for about $1.50 (it goes to the same place as the shuttle buses). By traveling independently, we often meet local folks who share information such as the best cafes. Tours make even less sense on most Caribbean Islands where it is usually very easy (and a lot less money) to simply do your own thing using public transportation, taxis, or a rental car. We have helped lots of folks over the years who wanted to do Med ports on their own (we probably have over 2000 posts on the Med board) but do understand that some folks will never feel comfortable on their own. It is simply different strokes for different folks, there is no right or wrong, and it is just what makes each person feel more comfortable.

Hank

Leaving to Alaska on August 7th, so in Victoria on the 14th.

Princess is charging $69 per person with NO tiered kids rate, so my son is also $69. For my daughter it's 'only' $49. We are looking forward to it and will do it one way or the other. Yep, $20 or $30 bucks is a lot when it's times 4.

Are there cabs outside the gardens for an easy return trip? Miss the 'boat' and we could all end up on your balcony :-)

Thanks

Darn, I will be in Alaska on the Sapphire during that time. There are taxis available to take you there and back but not that many hang around at Butchart Gardens looking for a pick up. Admission is $28 adult, 14 for youth. A taxi would be about $60 (including gratuity) each way but they might not be too happy to drop you off at that price. Small Limos are around 90 (inclusive of gratuity) with a minimum of 4 hours.Since the Princess rate includes the admission and a worry free and relaxing way of getting there I think they are a pretty good bet.

Darn, I will be in Alaska on the Sapphire during that time. There are taxis available to take you there and back but not that many hang around at Butchart Gardens looking for a pick up. Admission is $28 adult, 14 for youth. A taxi would be about $60 (including gratuity) each way but they might not be too happy to drop you off at that price. Small Limos are around 90 (inclusive of gratuity) with a minimum of 4 hours.Since the Princess rate includes the admission and a worry free and relaxing way of getting there I think they are a pretty good bet.

To add on to what Billet said... If the ship does not dock and you have booked a Princess excursion, you will not be charged. If you book privately, you may lose your deposit.

We did book with Princess on this one, and found it aggrivating getting off of the boat and onto the bus (lots of crowds and pushy people), but once on the bus, it was great.

hey shepp you pigeon holed me again and I don't think your to nice for it. The first order of business is I DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL, so I am not off the ship and in a bar getting drunk. Second, I do not take a cruise ship because of the short port visit. I cruise for the journey and not the destination even the Panama Canal. If I wanted to see another part of the world I would fly there and explore. Therefore, you don't understand that for me the cruise is the vacation and not the short port visit. Finally don't be so narrow in your view of how others see the world. We do many other vacations other than cruise lines. we have time share homes and we also like to fly to some of our favorite spots in the world and enjoy the destination at our pace. Lighten up my brother, you speak of all these mellow experiences of bliss and traquility but your Kharam comes through very hostile. This is a website for cruising and for people who enjoy that experince Sometimes I think we cruise just because of the sight and smell of the open sea.

Thanks for the forewarning re Jamaica!! I got off the Ruby on July 15th from the Med. cruise and we booked all private shore excursions and they were the best! You do have to read the referrals and check them out. CC has been an excellent tool. The only ship excursion that I've taken was in St. Maarten and we were STUCK at the beach for 90 minutes in a torrential downpour because "that was the itinerary"!! We could have been shopping!!!!I promised myself then not to become a hostage to the the ships tours. Also...you ship tour will move as fast as the slowest person!!!! Just check out privates and do your homework!:D

We never take cruise ship excursions. But, we never take an excursion where we have to prepay. Most of ours have been 'cash at the end of the excursion'. We have had some very, very memorable private excursions with personable and well informed guides. One of them in St. Vincent was an expat of ours. He and his wife told us how the cruiselines work their excursions, how they ensure that most of the money never stays on the island, and how they try to monopolize certain excursions. It was an eye opener for us. If anything, it just convinced us to use private tours more often. We heard the exact same story from a private tour operator in Grenada. We did a private tour in Ochos Rios (sp). No issue, then got dropped in town. We picked up a bottle of wine at the grocers and walked straight back to the ship. Not a town that we would want to linger in but we never felt threatened. Just too many vendors on each corner pushing 'bannana cigars' and other less legal products.

Thanks for the forewarning re Jamaica!! I got off the Ruby on July 15th from the Med. cruise and we booked all private shore excursions and they were the best! You do have to read the referrals and check them out. CC has been an excellent tool. The only ship excursion that I've taken was in St. Maarten and we were STUCK at the beach for 90 minutes in a torrential downpour because "that was the itinerary"!! We could have been shopping!!!!I promised myself then not to become a hostage to the the ships tours. Also...you ship tour will move as fast as the slowest person!!!! Just check out privates and do your homework!:D

Who did you book with? It would be nice to have that info for an upcoming cruise. Thanks.

Archived