Two Weeks Until Sailing on Grand

mt_goodrich

It just now hit me that in two weeks, wife and I will be going on our cruise. I'm almost in a panic as I don't think I've really prepared.

Things we did do:

1. Got passports. Figured "why not?"

2. Got hotel room night before cruise in Friendswood (south of Houston).

That's about it.

Questions:

1. What will the temperatures be like once we set sail?

2. I keep hearing about having the small fridge emptied in the cabin.

3. Is "The Patch" for everyone?

4. Where to park?

I'm sure I will have more.....guess I better start packing!

Good idea about the passports. It always makes things a little smoother.

Temps will be a little cooler out of texas for the fist 12 hours or so.

The fridge will have a filled ice bucket only in it.

We have sailed the Grand 6 times and never needed the patch. But each person is different. If you have problems with motion sickness in the car etc I would probably use it.

Dont know about parking at Galveston.

Enjoy!!!! You will have a blast. :)

It just now hit me that in two weeks, wife and I will be going on our cruise. I'm almost in a panic as I don't think I've really prepared.

Questions:

1. What will the temperatures be like once we set sail?

2. I keep hearing about having the small fridge emptied in the cabin.

3. Is "The Patch" for everyone?

4. Where to park?

I'm sure I will have more.....guess I better start packing!

The weather forecast for Galveston. (It will be a lot warmer in Belize, but the sea day Sunday will still be chilly):

http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/local/USTX0499?from=search_city

Parking is either in the city owned lot(s) or the private EZCruise;

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/parking.shtml

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

According to our pharmacist, the patch is not for everyone (no biological difference than taking pills). Try ginger caps.

I can't help with the fridge.

Due to the terrible traffic around the port in Galveston, I highly recommend that you stay the night before in Galveston and leave your car in the hotel lot. I believe most of the hotels there will let you park free. We stayed at the Best Western Beachfront, an older hotel but with large, clean rooms and free continental breakfast, for only $49 and parked free for the cruise. Taxi to the pier was about $10 each way. You might want to click on my posts for details about taxis at the pier. The fridge has only a filled ice bucket in it.

Parking is sort of a catch-22: even if you take a cab you still have to deal with the loop of doom. If you use a parking lot, it just might be a slightly longer wait for a shuttle than a taxi... but then again, maybe not. Depending on you state of health, baggage load, and the weather, EZ parking is within easy walking distance of terminal 2 (just like 3 blocks). Terminal 1 is maybe another 3 blocks, but you'd get the benefit of crossing at a light.

On the other hand, if you get a good rate on the hotel it is not much more than the cost of parking anyway. Some have free shuttles, but you'd generally be better off to grab a taxi after disembarkation since the hotels seem to have one shuttle (each) and its a 30-45 minute round trip due to the traffic problems.

FWIW, unless the water gets really bad or you mentally convince yourself otherwise, you should have no problems with motion sickness on Grand. For my money, I'd rather not preemptively put new chemicals into my body when it is already going to be punished a bit with poor diet, alcohol, and lack of sleep. :D

My in-laws live in Houston and we were going to spend the night with them. I was going to try EZ Parking in Galveston.

Spent this weekend at my Mom's and she is a veteran cruiser with Princess (over ten cruises) and she was able to give us some great information of what to expect. We feel much better now.

Mt, Bring your sense of humor and a sense of wonder. First cruises are the absolute best at least until the second, third, etc. Then meet us all at the seabreeze bar after muster. You will have the best vacation ever! Anything that is accidently forgotten can be found (ask dh about his long standing ability to foget the toothpaste)!

See you in 13 days!

Archived