Where to stay in Galveston?

wildcats82

Thank you so much for all the information!

The temperatures sound great, I'd be more than happy with 70's and 65's water temperature ;)

And thank your for your advice about priceline but they're not cheaper than my travel agent for the Holiday Inn Sunspree

probably because it's the easter holiday week-end, the prices are high

I currently have a 149$, breakfast included, flexible rate

Do you think it's ok?

Toonye

I hope someone can give me some info. I checked into The Howard Johnsons. They say they have free cruise parking, and a shuttle to the pier. Does anyone know if this is correct? Plus my MIL and I will need somewhere to eat dinner as we are going down the night before. We were thinking Joe's Crab Shack. How pricey? and any other suggestions for good seafood with affordable prices?

Thanks a bunch ahead of time.

Hi 39august

I first bid 70.00 for 3 1/2 stars - it was rejected and I got a reply back saying if I upped the bid another 22.00 I my offer might be accepted---no way--hahah so I waited the 24 hours and upped my bid to 78.00 for and it was accepted--

I hope this helps

cheers

April

I hope someone can give me some info. I checked into The Howard Johnsons. They say they have free cruise parking, and a shuttle to the pier. Does anyone know if this is correct? Plus my MIL and I will need somewhere to eat dinner as we are going down the night before. We were thinking Joe's Crab Shack. How pricey? and any other suggestions for good seafood with affordable prices?

Our favorite restaurant for seafood in Galveston is Fish Tales on the seawall. The absolute best seafood in our opinion is served at Gaido's but it is a bit pricey. The Gaido's also have a lower-priced restaurant, Casey's, next door. We like to eat "local" when we travel.

Sorry, I can't help you with the lodging questions but, hopefully, someone has some experience and can help you.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for the eating answer. We are leaving on a tight budget and with MIL being diabetic it is real important we eat in a timely manner. I am hoping that someone that lives in galveston can make some phone calls and help their fellow cruisers out. Thanks again.

Joe's Crab Shack is a moderately priced chain. While I used to eat at Joe's (as the sign says) I haven't been impressed with them in a couple of years. Some people still like them. My thought is that I can eat at a Joe's Crab Shack in Arizona or Colorado, so why eat there in Galveston?

Gaido's is a nice seafood house and a local institution. Entrees range from $15 - $30. Next door is their sister restaurant, Casey's Seafood House, which is their casual restaurant. If it looks like a hotel coffee shop, that's because it is. Unlike Gaido's, pretty much everything seafood at Casey's comes out of a deep fryer, otherwise the menu is sandwiches & burgers. Good for families with kids. Entrees around $8 - $10. While it's the same kitchen, the service, ambiance, and the menu itself are better at Gaido's in my opinion and I'd spend the extra money to eat there.

The Dutch Kettle is a total Greasy Spoon/Dive on the Seawall that's open all night. It's a dive, but it's a good one. If you find yourself hungry at 2am, there's no better place in town.

The Spot is always packed, so I've never been, but my friends rave about it. It's a bar/burger joint.

Does anyone know about the Hamton Inn on Seawall Blvd? Wasnt sure about damage from last hurricaine. We havent stayed in Galveston since. Looking for hotel in Feb 2010.

thanks,

We'd like to know about this hotel, too.

P. S. Arkylady, please join us on the Arkansas Cruisers thread :)! (Click the link "Arkansas" in my signature :)).

We'd like to know about this hotel, too.

P. S. Arkylady, please join us on the Arkansas Cruisers thread :)! (Click the link "Arkansas" in my signature :)).

When in February are you cruising? We're from Oklahoma and are on the February 28th sailing on the Conquest. We're looking for a hotel, too. ... Where in Arkansas are you from??

Not sure which one you are asking, but we live around the Bryant and Benton area outside of Little Rock. We are cruising Feb 14-21 on Voyager, celebrating our 50th anniversary and some of our family is going with us. We have decide to stay in Webster night before and drive in on Sunday to board the ship. We werent sure we would make it to Galveston early enough to miss the parade congestion on Sat.

I too used Priceline and bid 78.00 and got the Tremont House for ---Friday and Sat---Jan 15 and 16th----I will have to look into using the Galvez shuttle to the port----I couldn't make up my mind on what hotel to book----several other cruise friends are going and are staying at different hotels-------

Cheers

April

I was looking for Jan 22nd, going out on Ecstasy, so thats why a Friday night. Harbor House was only $80 when I was looking earlier this week.

Tons of bargains. I clicked on Econo Lodge and they showed a bunch of Clarion Hotels in Galveston. (I saw a post Econo Lodge has free cruise parking and is 1/2 block to the beach before you poo poo it).

Anyway, I decided on Quality Inn and Suites Beachfront, for a real bargain price. Since EZ cruise is only $30 for a 5 day cruise, I decided not to look for cruise parking. The taxi fare each way would cost as much as the $30 EZCruise cruise parking ... so Im just going to stay at the hotel and walk on the beach before my cruise and then go park at EZcruise later in the morning. Kinda of a waste of a nice hotel that offers balcony views of the ocean since I will be getting in late.

There were lots of hotels in the $50 range, couldnt believe my eyes to choose from. I couldnt believe Harbor House for $80 either.

Trip Advisor shows Quality Inn as ranked #5 for Galveston Hotels. If anyone has any feedback, or a reason not to stay there, let me know. January must be a super cheap time to stay in a hotel in Galveston, wow. I was shocked at the prices compared to what they were in Sept. Half the price.

Iv stayed at the Howard Johnson's last Sept. It is in a industrial section, not near anything to eat close, so you need a car. The shuttle is from the cruise parking lot across the street and costs $5 pp each way. I used it and it was pretty good service, np even after the cruise, hardly had to wait and they took everyone right to their car afterwards and dropped them at their car, and then me last across the street to Howard Johnsons.

Host Mach and some other crazies have stayed at the Howard Johnsons too, so I knew it would be ok just to sleep there, but their new rates, the cheapest are nonreundable, which I dont like. Breakfast was ok, nothing special.

We're cruising on February 28th, and driving from northeastern Oklahoma. I went ahead and booked a room at the Howard Johnson's. Could have saved some money booking online, but went ahead and booked through the hotel directly. They said there were lots of restaurants down one of the streets close by, can't remember which one, but seems like it was 63rd or something like that?? I picked HJ because it looked like it was easy to get to as soon as your cross over onto Galveston Island, and I kind of liked the idea of shuttling back away from the congested terminal area to our car. They said the cruise shuttle is just across the street from the hotel.

Is anyone else going on that cruise and staying at HJ the night before?

They said there were lots of restaurants down one of the streets close by, can't remember which one, but seems like it was 63rd or something like that?? ?

Well, as I said nothing nearby, but my idea of near by and the hotels might be different. Nothing close enough to walk to. You can get back on the main drag and find places to eat. I thought Howard Johnson's was kind of isolated. There is a gas station next door and the parking lot across the street. The train runs behind the hotel, so you will hear it.

Nothing wrong with the hotel. We did have a bad mosquito problem in Sept, our room was filled with the little beasts, but they wouldnt be around in Feb. The best thing is it has a shuttle you can count on.

Well, as I said nothing nearby, but my idea of near by and the hotels might be different. Nothing close enough to walk to. You can get back on the main drag and find places to eat. I thought Howard Johnson's was kind of isolated. There is a gas station next door and the parking lot across the street. The train runs behind the hotel, so you will hear it.

Nothing wrong with the hotel. We did have a bad mosquito problem in Sept, our room was filled with the little beasts, but they wouldnt be around in Feb. The best thing is it has a shuttle you can count on.

Is it easy to find? It looked like it was just after you cross over onto Galveston Island. Is that right?

It is just a motel in the industrial area.

Nothing touresty around.

It is easy to find coming into Galveston,

and on Haborside and right down street from port terminal.

Of course every thing though is right down street from port terminal and close to terminal.

You will not be out your motel room door in Historic Strand Area

or on Seawall of Gulf of Mexico or at Moody Gardens.

It is place to crash.

The island is small, and you can get anywhere you want to go in 5 minutes. :)

There is nothing wrong with motel.

You will still be able to enjoy Galvestion with a car or cab.:)

There are too many other hotels that are in better areas, offer more and near restaurants. The HJ caters to contractors working on the island. It is not near anything. The restaurants neaby (61st st) is very limited and do not reflect the myriad of good eating establishments on the island.

You are better off locating something on Seawall Blvd. Mardi Gras is over so prices will be competitive. It takes no more than 5 minutes to get anywhere near town/port and seawall.

Come see and enjoy our island!

Is it easy to find? It looked like it was just after you cross over onto Galveston Island. Is that right?

Make sure you get into the right hand lane coming into Galveston and take the Harborside Dr cut off the main drag. I didnt and it wasnt that easy to get back to. Nothing wrong with it, newish and its fine and the island is so small you can drive to anything in 10 minutes. Having the $5 pp shuttle across the street was a big plus to me in booking rather than having to get a taxi.

Id stay there again, but dont like their new online rates that are non cancellable, so booked Quality Inn and Suites for $45 and will do EZcruise for $30 and be just as well off for Jan 22nd.

Make sure you get into the right hand lane coming into Galveston and take the Harborside Dr cut off the main drag. I didnt and it wasnt that easy to get back to. Nothing wrong with it, newish and its fine and the island is so small you can drive to anything in 10 minutes. Having the $5 pp shuttle across the street was a big plus to me in booking rather than having to get a taxi.

Id stay there again, but dont like their new online rates that are non cancellable, so booked Quality Inn and Suites for $45 and will do EZcruise for $30 and be just as well off for Jan 22nd.

Think we'll be okay at the HJ. Thanks for the directions. We'll have our car to go wherever we want to, and we basically just need a place to crash for the night, and we liked the $10 roundtrip shuttle to get us out of the terminal area quick and easy back to our car. Maybe next time, we'll venture down closer, but this will give us a chance to look around to see what's where.

For the total cruise experience, we stayed at the Harbor House Last February. It was fabulous!!! It was so awesome to watch the Carnival Conquest cruise silently down the harbor early Sunday morning and do her 180* turnaround. We watched the whole show right out of our windows in our room. I kept screaming, there she comes, there she comes. And my DH, said, no, that can't be her. But, sure enough, the closer she came to the terminal, he could see that it was indeed the Conquest.

It was a total treat to stay at the Harbor House and have the conveniance of Willie G's and the Fisherman's Wharf right next door!!! Would we do it again, in a heartbeat, BUT it is expensive.....and everyone should do it one time at least. We are staying at a Best Western in Texas City this time and then driving on to the terminal on Sunday.

See ya soon:D

Harbor House was only $80 a night for my upcoming cruise thru hotels . com site. You could book just one night. It isnt always that expensive, if you count that you can park there (I think) and walk to the cruise, it would have cost about the same as what we are paying for hotel and EZCruise.

Harbor House was only $80 a night for my upcoming cruise thru hotels . com site. You could book just one night. It isnt always that expensive, if you count that you can park there (I think) and walk to the cruise, it would have cost about the same as what we are paying for hotel and EZCruise.

That's a steal for the HH!!! I paid much more than that last year when we stayed there!! Great deal Firefly:)

Archived