Hotel in Ft. Lauderdale

hlv71

Hampton Inn Plantation gets our vote. Free transportation to and from airport and port or to anywhere in the area, A GREAT staff, free hot breakfast, walk across the parking lot to a huge Mall with all the major stores. Very clean and a very nice pool with hot tub. You won't be sorry. We have stayed here many times. :)

Another vote for this hotel. We will be staying there for the 3rd time in December. Staff is really great. Target, large shopping mall (I get my Dillard's shoe department fix for the year), many restaurants and Publix within walking distance.

My vote is for the Sleep Inn in Dania. It is not that far and a short shuttle ride to the pier. However, after reading on here about the Hyatt Place, I called them and got a $98 rate. This rate is higher than the $79 rate we got at Sleep Inn, but we thought we might give it a try...something different and it does have good reviews on TripAdvisor.

So we are actually booked at both hotels until we decide. Both have the free shuttle to airport and pier. Also both are close to shops, restaurants, grocery, etc. Hopefully the Hyatt is within walking distance like Sleep Inn is since we won't have a car. We'll see in a few months. :-)

One more thing....I checked on the Hampton Inn-Plantation too and their rate was $158. Too much!

Wow, no one has even mentioned the Ramada where we have stayed. Many of your ideas are better and I intend to look into them. Usually we get in late the night before the cruise, and leave in the morning as early as possible to board. So the two most important things are 1) shuttle to the hotel then to the pier; and 2) price. We had a lovely full breakfast at the Ramada, but do you really need that given where you're headed that day:D. Sleep Inn sounds like the best bang for your buck.

The only problem with those pick-ups at the airport is that sometimes you have to wait quite a while for your van to arrive (45 mins for the Ramada after a long day flying). The Renaissance sounds great but also $$$$$? Priceline is great but we tried it once and didn't apparently set our parameters right so we ended up at a very nice place in HOLLYWOOD with no shuttle to the airport. $59 for a 4 star hotel is fantastic, but can you also insist it have shuttle service?

So I guess I'd like to ask the question: how can you use Priceline to get not only price but services like the shuttle?

Thanks for all the postings here.

My vote is for the Sleep Inn in Dania. It is not that far and a short shuttle ride to the pier. However, after reading on here about the Hyatt Place, I called them and got a $98 rate. This rate is higher than the $79 rate we got at Sleep Inn, but we thought we might give it a try...something different and it does have good reviews on TripAdvisor.

So we are actually booked at both hotels until we decide. Both have the free shuttle to airport and pier. Also both are close to shops, restaurants, grocery, etc. Hopefully the Hyatt is within walking distance like Sleep Inn is since we won't have a car. We'll see in a few months. :-)

One more thing....I checked on the Hampton Inn-Plantation too and their rate was $158. Too much!

Hyatt Place is a lot closer to the port than Sleep Inn and yes, you can walk to everything from there.

Might sound silly, but all states are different...Can you buy wine at the Publix or Target? We currently have reservations at the La Quinta but have read some mixed reviews and are thinking about switching.

Might sound silly, but all states are different...Can you buy wine at the Publix or Target? We currently have reservations at the La Quinta but have read some mixed reviews and are thinking about switching.

I don't think Target sells wine, but Publix has two aisles of it. With Publix though you can't buy on Sunday before noon.

Wow, no one has even mentioned the Ramada where we have stayed. Many of your ideas are better and I intend to look into them. Usually we get in late the night before the cruise, and leave in the morning as early as possible to board. So the two most important things are 1) shuttle to the hotel then to the pier; and 2) price. We had a lovely full breakfast at the Ramada, but do you really need that given where you're headed that day:D.

Ramada burned us big time a year and a half ago and I will never go back or recommend them to others. We always try to fly in a day in advance as New Hampsha winters can be fierce. In February of 2008 our flight from Manchester was cancelled around noon, not because of Manchester, but because Philly was closed, our connecting city. Southwest Air was terrific and got us onto a flight later that evening to Tampa where we slept in the airport (arrived at 1 a.m.) and got us a morning flight to FLL where we were among the first on the ship and our vacation was saved!:D On the otherhand, Ramada was most inflexible. We called them at 2 p.m. and told them that our flight was canceled due to an act of god (weather conditions) and they would not budge. They still charged us $183 for the night because we did not give them 24 hours notice. Numerous phone calls to the assistant manager that night and the next morning were never returned. Thus for us, Ramada Inn, never again!:mad:

Ramada burned us big time a year and a half ago and I will never go back or recommend them to others. We always try to fly in a day in advance as New Hampsha winters can be fierce. In February of 2008 our flight from Manchester was cancelled around noon, not because of Manchester, but because Philly was closed, our connecting city. Southwest Air was terrific and got us onto a flight later that evening to Tampa where we slept in the airport (arrived at 1 a.m.) and got us a morning flight to FLL where we were among the first on the ship and our vacation was saved!:D On the otherhand, Ramada was most inflexible. We called them at 2 p.m. and told them that our flight was canceled due to an act of god (weather conditions) and they would not budge. They still charged us $183 for the night because we did not give them 24 hours notice. Numerous phone calls to the assistant manager that night and the next morning were never returned. Thus for us, Ramada Inn, never again!:mad:

Did you dispute the charge with the CC company?

We have stayed at the Renaissance and the Italian Restaurant across the parking lot was great. They did charge us $15.00 for taking us to the ship. But the hotel was great.

We walked right across the street and into the port from the Renaissance for our Ruby cruise. ;)

You're kidding - you schlepped all of your luggage to the ship from the Ren. We once expressed checked our luggage on disembarkation and just toted our carryons to a restaurant for lunch theen a taxi to the airport.

I guess I wouldn't drag two 30" rolling duffels and two carryons just to save 10 bucks.

Ron

You're kidding - you schlepped all of your luggage to the ship from the Ren. We once expressed checked our luggage on disembarkation and just toted our carryons to a restaurant for lunch theen a taxi to the airport.

I guess I wouldn't drag two 30" rolling duffels and two carryons just to save 10 bucks.

Ron

Did not drag anything, its only about 300 yards. :eek:

By the time you wait for/get in your taxi, wait at the red light there to get out onto 17th I am already in line.

Did not drag anything, its only about 300 yards. :eek:

By the time you wait for/get in your taxi, wait at the red light there to get out onto 17th I am already in line.

It is more than 300 yards to the point where you drop your luggage at pier 2. But, if saving $10 is important Go For It - I'm too old to schlep my luggage that far - I have a hard enought time getting it from the carousel to my pickup at the airport.

Ron

Booked at the Hyatt yesterday through Valuetrips and got a $109.00 rate. (Nov. 8 sailing.) This is about $70.00 off the Hyatt website rate.Trying to find out where to leave the car-hotel or port if anyone knows. :confused:

Booked at the Hyatt yesterday through Valuetrips and got a $109.00 rate. (Nov. 8 sailing.) This is about $70.00 off the Hyatt website rate.Trying to find out where to leave the car-hotel or port if anyone knows. :confused:

If the hotel allows it, drop it there. There is no dropoff at the port. It all depends with whom you are renting, though I do think you will probably have to do an airport drop.

If the hotel allows it, drop it there. There is no dropoff at the port. It all depends with whom you are renting, though I do think you will probably have to do an airport drop.

I guess I wasn't clear. We will have our car with us. Thanks!

Last april we stayed in the Rennaissance. Nice hotel close to pier.

This octoberer we booked Hampton Inn 2301 sw 12th st. They offer free shuttle service from airport to hotel. Free shuttle service around town if you plan to go out for dinner. In am free breakfast, and free shuttle service to cruise terminal. Rates as low as $95.00 a night. We booked at $159.00 but as date gets closer and rates drop they will honor the lowest rate. Good reviews on Trip advisor.com

It is more than 300 yards to the point where you drop your luggage at pier 2. But, if saving $10 is important Go For It - I'm too old to schlep my luggage that far - I have a hard enought time getting it from the carousel to my pickup at the airport.

Ron

LOL... I'm with 'ya Ron. ;) Each of us will have 2 pieces of luggage and I will also have a large tote. My schlepping days are over. :eek:

You can buy wine at Target, but Publix has a very good selection. You can also buy wine at CVS, Walgreens, Kmart, etc. Wine isn't sold on Sundays until noon anywhere.

Archived