"Big U" Update

We held our 2nd meeting of the Florida chapter of the SSUSC last night in Miami ( 3/1)..sadly only 6 people attended INCLUDING myself, a new member ( a friend I told this about..), the 2 hosts, and the President ( Andrew) of the chapter & wife...we had 10 last time. Nevertheless, business was conducted as usual. Ideas were discussed & exchanged on how to generate interest in saving the SS United States. One idea is to secure a booth at the massive Fort Lauderdale Boat Show in late October ( 10/30-11/3)- the show sometimes allows a complimentary booth for non-profit groups/ organizations. One of our members ( Bill) is waiting for a response from one of the directors of the show ...

If anyone would like to get involved with the Florida chapter of the SSUSC, please contact Andrew Herndan at:

andyherdan@live.com

We would appreciate any ideas or support from any of you!

Big Al

I have just looked at all the Posts on CruiseCritic and am ever-optimistic about the fate of this fine ocean liner. But words alone will never be enough. We have launched the Florida Chapter of the SSUSC, but are finding that a single Chapter in Miami may not be the right answer for gathering support in this large State. We are planning to hold our third meeting of the Florida Chapter of the SS United States Conservancy a little further North, in Palm Beach, so anyone who is anxious to help avert the "scrapping" of this monument to brilliant American Marine Engineering (still the fastest Ocean Liner afloat!), please contact me at andyherdan@live.com. "All Hands On Deck"!!!

Hey Steve,

Good luck on the Independence Seaport Museum exhibit. I am sure your dedication will make it a huge success. Any chance of you joining the next Florida Chapter meeting in Palm Beach or Miami, on the first Saturday in May? We would really like to get a first hand update on the situation with Big U in Philly or New York. How about putting her in Key West, where there is plenty of dock space in the old Navy Harbor?

We held our 2nd meeting of the Florida chapter of the SSUSC last night in Miami ( 3/1)..sadly only 6 people attended INCLUDING myself, a new member ( a friend I told this about..), the 2 hosts, and the President ( Andrew) of the chapter & wife...we had 10 last time. Nevertheless, business was conducted as usual. Ideas were discussed & exchanged on how to generate interest in saving the SS United States. One idea is to secure a booth at the massive Fort Lauderdale Boat Show in late October ( 10/30-11/3)- the show sometimes allows a complimentary booth for non-profit groups/ organizations. One of our members ( Bill) is waiting for a response from one of the directors of the show ...

If anyone would like to get involved with the Florida chapter of the SSUSC, please contact Andrew Herndan at:

andyherdan@live.com

We would appreciate any ideas or support from any of you!

Big Al

Glad to hear this important work continues in the Sunshine State. Every group starts small, so keep the fa!ith. I love the boat show booth idea. Please keep us posted.

Edited by Philly Steve

Hey Steve,

Good luck on the Independence Seaport Museum exhibit. I am sure your dedication will make it a huge success. Any chance of you joining the next Florida Chapter meeting in Palm Beach or Miami, on the first Saturday in May? We would really like to get a first hand update on the situation with Big U in Philly or New York. How about putting her in Key West, where there is plenty of dock space in the old Navy Harbor?

Hi Andy. I love your enthusiasm! A warmer climate would be kinder to the ship and it warrants serious consideration.

Thanks for the invitation to join you in Palm Beach or Miami. Believe me, ANY excuse to head south works for me after our winter! Not sure I could make it. It would be great if Susan Gibbs or anyone else from the Conservancy could attend and provide some hard information on where we stand. Please keep us updated and thanks for your work on this. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi all- Just a word to let you know that SSUSC chapter of South Florida will be meeting in Greenacres ( near West Palm Beach) on Sat, May 3rd at 6:30 PM..all are welcome...if interested, please leave post here and someone will contact you with info & directions...we will be showing the DVD on the SS United States as well as discussing recent news and future plans on saving this legend ....

Big Al

• 4 weeks later...
Hi all- Just a word to let you know that SSUSC chapter of South Florida will be meeting in Greenacres ( near West Palm Beach) on Sat, May 3rd at 6:30 PM..all are welcome...if interested, please leave post here and someone will contact you with info & directions...we will be showing the DVD on the SS United States as well as discussing recent news and future plans on saving this legend ....

Big Al

Hi Big Al! Hope your meeting was well attended. Did anyone from the Conservancy take part?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Big Al! Hope your meeting was well attended. Did anyone from the Conservancy take part?

The following showed at up at my house for the meeting:

Andy and Mary Herdan, Bill Wood, Alan ( Big Al) & Teresa Benson, Robert & Phyllis Semler, Bill Stacey, Dotty Duddy (Kolbe), Jim and Tina Flood.

Big Al

• 2 weeks later...
The following showed at up at my house for the meeting:

Andy and Mary Herdan, Bill Wood, Alan ( Big Al) & Teresa Benson, Robert & Phyllis Semler, Bill Stacey, Dotty Duddy (Kolbe), Jim and Tina Flood.

Big Al

Sounds like you have a good core group. Thanks Big Al and keep the faith!

• 3 weeks later...

The SS United States was back in the news this week, as businessman/philanthropist Jim Pollin donated $120,000 to the SS United States Conservancy in a gift that at least, postpones plans to sell one of the ship's propellers to raise money for dock fees. He also offered a matching grant of up to $100k.

The 5 blade prop is a bit of maritime history in itself, as it helped launch the ship to record breaking speed in her day.

Docking fees at the berth in south Philadelphia run about $60,000 a month.

In addition, Conservancy officials say it appears New York will be the eventual destination for the ship, if plans come together.

http://www.ususc.org

• 4 weeks later...
There was an interesting article in yesterday's New York Times Business Section about the United States. It highlights how critical the situation is right now, but holds out hope for her future. It makes for an interesting read and includes pictures. It can be found here.

Thanks for posting the article..a friend of mine, funny enough in Philly near where the USS United States is docked, told me today that last night on the World news, there was a story about some developers who want to buy the ship, and take her to NYC and make her a floating museum, resort, shopping area, etc...anything at this point would be great...as long as they don't scrap her...

Big Al

P.S.- I used to work at the South Shore Mall in Bayshore in the early 80's, lol...

There was an interesting article in yesterday's New York Times Business Section about the United States. It highlights how critical the situation is right now, but holds out hope for her future. It makes for an interesting read and includes pictures. It can be found here.

Interesting article and I wish everyone involved good luck. The Chester group sounds serious about keeping the ship in the Philadelphia area. The Conservancy has done a tremendous job in at least saving the ship from the breakers but it seems we are always ninety days away from disaster.

For all the $$$$$$$$$$$ the US government squanders away every year, 300-400 million $ would be pocket change for them to underwrite this project.

Agreed, and all of the expenditures would be within the United States....both figuratively and literally....

The latest press on the SS United States comes from the Washington Post and focuses on Susan Gibbs.

Check it out on the Conservancy's website.

The ship only has enough $$$ to cover Philadelphia docking fees into fall.

Edited by Philly Steve

• 1 month later...

It's another "now or never, " all hands on deck call by the SS United States Conservancy. We're told this is a make or break month.

http://www.wired.com/2014/09/the-fight-to-save-americas-last-great-ocean-liner/

Can the Conservancy seal a deal with developers in New York?

Stay tuned.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Philadelphia chapter of the SS United States Conservancy will hold its holiday party Saturday, December 13th from noon to 2pm at the IKEA cafeteria, across the street from the ship (Columbus Blvd.).

The event will be a la carte. The cafeteria provides a spectacular view of the ship. There is no need to pre-register.

There will be an update on the latest redevelopment plans.

In the past, the Conservancy has conducted limited, paid tours of the ship before the annual party. I have no information on any excursions for Saturday but you may contact the Conservancy in Washington to check on any booking.