Flip Flops in "dinning" room  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Flip Flops in "dinning" room

• Yes, any flip flop is OK
    • Yes, only designer or expensive flops
    • Who cares what people wear
    • No, flip flops belong on the beach
    • Maitre D should deny entry to anyone wearing flip flops

Those are definitely NOT flip-flops -- rather snazzy sandals. For me, the real worry is if someone is going to wear actual flip-flops on a formal night, what the REST of them look like?

I'm an old-fashioned cruiser and love the whole getting dressed up for dinner bit -- but I can completely appreciate those who want a more casual cruise overall. Maybe Carnival should designate one of the restaurants as "formal attire only" -- and set the other one aside for everyone who just wants the food without all of the fuss?

ok, I wonder what cruises I've been on. Now I do dress on formal nights and haven't worn flip flops in the dining room but there is usually so many people coming in the door at the same time and talking who can hear flip flops and I have never looked at the table next door to see what are on people's feet Honestly I have never heard noise from flip flops in the dining room but maybe no one has worn flip flops on my cruises -

Oh dear....I really don't care either - and I really can't say too much...because of a wrecked back and bone spurs in my foot, I have to wear orthotics that are quite high so they don't fit in most shoes. Consequently, I'm the round little woman wearing black dress pants and nice black sneakers :eek:...and a dressy blouse, too...of course...! :o Honestly, I would love to wear a long dress with a sexy little strappy sandal, but those days are loooooonnnnggg gone! In deference to other people, I do try to accessorize with my DD who does wear some lovely evening gowns with some really lovely shoes. Oh to be young again!:)

Last time I checked it doesn't matter what type you have, flip flops are as casual as you can get.

Wear what you want in the "dinning" room. What have you got to "loose"? It's not like the maitre'd is gonna deny you admission.

As a plus with all the noise they make when you leave your cabin for dinner it will alert your "stewart" that he can make your room up.

Bill

Wear what you want in the "dinning" room. What have you got to "loose"? It's not like the maitre'd is gonna deny you admission. Looks like lots of people think he (she) should!

As a plus with all the noise they make when you leave your cabin for dinner it will alert your "stewart" that he can make your room up.

Bill

Great idea on the flop noise

FR8,

Did you happen to catch it on the banjo minnow. lol:rolleyes:

banjominnow.jpg

I had those at one time, but they are so life like I kept pulling them in thinking I had a fish on the line.....

OP's questions was about dining room, not necessarily elegant night...

does that change some opinions?

Although the OP did not include it within the phrasing of the actual poll, his post leads me to believe he was specifically concerned with elegant night...

"I was curious how many think flip flops should be worn in "dinning" room on Elegant night. "

It doesn't matter to me what you wear on your feet as long as you keep them on the floor (and yes, on one occasion in the dining room, a kid has his really dirty feet on the table). However, I really, really hate armpit hair showing at the table, no matter whose it is. It just gets way to close to the food for my comfort.

I feel it is ok to wear flip flops in the dinning room only if they have been bedazzled or sequened.

That would be the same as allowing jeans with sequins as opposed to "no jeans" or sleeveless shirts only if they have glitter on them. It should be yes or no and not dependent on the price or the accessories to the item.

No matter what our opinions are, Carnival specifically states "no BEACH flip flops" in the MDR. Carnival was more specific when they stated "no sleeveless shirts on men". (They didn't just say for example "no muscle shirts on men".) So, if you're really against seeing or hearing flip flops of ANY KIND in the MDR, please write it in on your comment card so that maybe Carnival will take note. Otherwise, any flip flops other than a BEACH FLIP FLOPS are specifically allowed according to Carnival's own dress rules.

Those wedgie types are definitely NOT beach flip flops. The rubbery ones are. IMO.

The dress code says no flip flops in the main dining rooms on elegant night. If you want to wear them, go to the buffet for the night. I'm not a snob, but hello???? rules are rules.

I thought it read........No beach flip flops:confused: Hello:confused:

The dress code says no flip flops in the main dining rooms on elegant night. If you want to wear them, go to the buffet for the night. I'm not a snob, but hello???? rules are rules.

Oh rules police...please be thoroughly aware of the rules you so wish to enforce upon your fellow cruisers...

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Not all flip flops are created equally. :D

Honestly, while I do care, I don't think I should. It's my vacation and their vacation. Once the feet are under the table, does it really, truly matter?

Point is, I love them and hope they never go away, but I understand that when you are playing on the ship all day, not everyone wants to go back to their cabin 60-90 minutes prior to dinner to get all dressed up. I get this too.

My one concern --- they will eliminate them as more and more opt out or those of who choose to continue to dress formally will diminish to such a small number that doing so will be awkward at best.

Live and let live -- but darn it, why don't you like to dress up and play grown up???:confused:

I'm very surprised that the "no" vote is only a few percentage points over 50%, compared to the "yes/who cares" votes. Personally, I would never wear flip flops to the MDR on elegent or regular nights. In fact, I wouldn't wear them to the beach (just not my thing).

As for the closing question above, while I appreciate it was at least partly rhetorical, I think the answer is this: I have to dress like grown up all day at the office nearly fifty weeks a year. On a cruise, I'm on vacation. That doesn't mean "I'm on vacation so I don't have to follow the rules." It means that given the choice, I'd vote to make the dress code more casual. Vacations are for relaxing, not the opposite. Or, as one other poster suggested, have one dining room more formal and one less formal. That might come close to pleasing most of the people.

In the meantime, I'll continue to make the best of an imperfect situation by attending formal/elegant nights and wearing a jacket and/or a tie.

Archived