Carry off luggage

DONNALAKA

What did they do when people showed up with a 22 inch carry on suitcase ready to get off the ship? send them back?

No problem. The walkoff with luggage option is for people with the large suitcases. If all you have is a small bag, no need to put it out the night before, just take it with you when your color code for disembarkation can leave the ship.

I think the OP was asking about self-disembarkation in order to exit the ship as early as possible to catch a flight.

I have enquired about self-disembarkation as well, and my understanding is that there is express disembarkation, which is usually combined with self-disembarkation... in other words, you're in the first group to get off and you also carry your own luggage.

Apparently you can carry your own luggage off but not be in the first group, so I'm wondering if you can be in the first group and not carry your own luggage off too?

Apparently you can carry your own luggage off but not be in the first group, so I'm wondering if you can be in the first group and not carry your own luggage off too?

If you are talking about having luggage that the ship has brought onshore for you, then it may not be available for you to pick up until later than when those carrying their own luggage off are able to leave the ship.

I think the OP was asking about self-disembarkation in order to exit the ship as early as possible to catch a flight.

I have enquired about self-disembarkation as well, and my understanding is that there is express disembarkation, which is usually combined with self-disembarkation... in other words, you're in the first group to get off and you also carry your own luggage.

No your luggage will be un an inaccessible area until later.

What escalators? Never saw and escalator on a ship that we have traveled on before. Are you talking about when you get off the ship.

Last Carnival cruise they had a great system. They started calling people with early flights by color code. Then about 45 minutes after that they started calling self-disembarkation by different decks. Then after all the self-disembarkations were completed they closed that lower deck and everyone else disembarked on the deck where they entered the ship the first day of the cruise. It worked great.

I am all for self-disembarkation. I think most cruise lines are going to that much faster but not always easier. :confused:

we were just on the Diamond in Alaska. We decided to walk off with our luggage because we just never got around to putting the luggage out the night before. We'd done this several times in the Caribbean. Being Elite, we found our lounge to wait in. I was told by one of the Princess crew that we should have filled out the form stating that we were walking off with our luggage. She wasn't concerned in Whittier...she said they weren't strict with walk-offs but if we were in Mexico, we could have had a problem since we hadn't turned in the forms prior to disembarkation. Not sure why, but next time, I'll fill out the forms.

Looking back, finding your luggage in Whittier wasn't too hard. We should have set it out the night before since we had to wait on transportation to Anchorage.

What escalators? Never saw and escalator on a ship that we have traveled on before. Are you talking about when you get off the ship.

Last Carnival cruise they had a great system. They started calling people with early flights by color code. Then about 45 minutes after that they started calling self-disembarkation by different decks. Then after all the self-disembarkations were completed they closed that lower deck and everyone else disembarked on the deck where they entered the ship the first day of the cruise. It worked great.

I am all for self-disembarkation. I think most cruise lines are going to that much faster but not always easier. :confused:

Escalator on the pier.

Actually several of the Grand Class ships have an escalator leading to Skywalkers. Others have moving walkways.

The main Fort Lauderdale cruise terminal, for example, has an escanator that is used after leaving the ship itself. If you do not have one free hand to hold on, you will be directed to the elevator line by port personnel.

We just left from that port in May and we each had two suitcases and then my purse and the cosmetic bag (rather large) and they never said anything about having one hand free. We did the self-disembarkation there. Good idea though:p

:)It depends on which ship you are taking.

Some have self-disembarkation which means that you carry all your own luggage off with no help at all and usually you are one of the first ones off the ship.

Otherwise if you don't do that then it is usually a color coded ticket system that is given to you the night before you leave (the same night you put your luggage outside your cabin - the last night of the cruise)

by your cabin steward.

If you have an early flight that is also taken into consideration and that information is supplied to the cruise line so that you will not miss your flight.

They call the color over the loud speaker system and usually everyone needs to be out of the cabins by around 8:00 - 9:00 am. (Depends on the cruise line they all have different rules). You usually wait in some of the lounges throughout the ship and when your color is called they direct you down to the specific deck and then you exit like everyone else with that color code.

You need to bring a small bag with you with your valuables to keep with your as well as a change of clothes for the last night. Everything else is put in your luggage and put out the last night of the cruise. Usually it needs to be put out by around midnight or before and the crew comes and picks all the luggage off and it is waiting for you (usually by color code) after you disembarke and go through customs by color.

It usually is pretty organized.

Any other questions just ask.

But like I said all the cruise lines could be a little different.

Your will be given a disembarkation talk by the cruise director usually in the afternoon of the last day that you are on the ship.

Archived