Carry off luggage

DONNALAKA

Does princess allow u to carry off ur own luggage ? I know i've done this before but forget which line does this ? Tyvm.
Yes, Princess has "Self-Disembarkation" where you carry your luggage and all of your belongings off the ship. You must be able to handle everything going down escalators and have one hand free.

Yes, Princess has "Self-Disembarkation" where you carry your luggage and all of your belongings off the ship. You must be able to handle everything going down escalators and have one hand free.

Have one hand free? :confused: Never heard of that or even seen it! We have been doing Self-Disembarkation for over 10 cruises and have never had a hand free or any problems. ( doing it or having someone saying we had to have one hand free )

We did this on the Golden, and it was chaotic to say the least. We were herded into the Explorers Lounge and made to wait. When we were finally called to queue, we another group moving en masse in the opposite direction. Once we finally reach the line, it was very fast from that point.

Have one hand free? :confused: Never heard of that or even seen it! We have been doing Self-Disembarkation for over 10 cruises and have never had a hand free or any problems. ( doing it or having someone saying we had to have one hand free )

Same here. It must be a new rule since Feb. Maybe only on some ships? We've also been doing self disembarkation since they've started it & I've never herd of the one hand rule yet.

Same here. It must be a new rule since Feb. Maybe only on some ships? We've also been doing self disembarkation since they've started it & I've never herd of the one hand rule yet.

It must have been the herd of cattle getting off that many me spell it that way. ;)

In some ports, there is an escalator and the local port authorities require that for safety reasons, you must have one hand free to hold on to the railing. This isn't a Princess rule but rather something that varies from port to port. I've seen it enforced.

Disembarking yesterday on the Crown, there's no way I'd have done self-disembarkation. Someone (or more than one) person vandalized the elevators, putting them out of service, so there was almost no way for people to go down for disembarkation without lugging all their stuff down the stairs. I felt sorry for the people with great big suitcases.

FYI, they called those with self-disembarkation mixed in with those picking up luggage on the pier so for those who say it's never done, this is verification that it is.

In some ports, there is an escalator and the local port authorities require that for safety reasons, you must have one hand free to hold on to the railing. This isn't a Princess rule but rather something that varies from port to port. I've seen it enforced.

quote]

We always use the escalators because the wait for the elevators is long. I always have a carry-on, a larger suitcase and my hand-bag so no free hands. What are they going to do? Send me back on the ship and have them send my luggage down like they do with the luggage the night before? A little too late for that!:D Sometimes DH might roll the 2 larger suitcases and leave the 2 rolling carry-on sizes to me but still no free hands.

1) The instructions are always that you have to be able to carry all your luggage and belongings off by yourself. Have never read that you have to have one hand free. ( Would they expect anyone coming off a ship to have only 1 piece of luggage?- some maybe but not many )

2) We have self-disembarked from 3 different cruiselines in Vancouver, LA, SF, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Port Canaveral and Barcelona and with personnel stationed at the escalators. With no hands free, we have never had any problems.

On our one Princess cruise I saw the self disembarkation on the Golden. I couldn't believe the mounds of luggage people were dragging off. The luggage parade seemed to go on forever. I assume there is no limit to the number of passengers who choose this option.

I never saw any free hands, nor had I heard of that. This must be a new rule, or as Pam mentioned, perhaps it depends on the port.

We tried to do this on our cruise a week ago. We were told NO! We had to put our luggage out the night before and collect it once we were off the ship from a small holding area. We were able to get off the ship whenever we wanted, no need to wait of our "tag" time - just walk off when ever you are ready. Our luggage was waiting - no problems.

WELL THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS ! IT SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT NOT BE THE "FAST" WAY TO MAKE MY FLT HOWEVER. THE 2 X'S I DID IT "SELF-ERS" WERE 1ST OFF . EVEN W/ A LONG LINE IT WENT QUICKLY. OTHERS HAD DIFF EXPERIENCES :( WELLLLLLLLLL JUST HAVE TO WAIT AND SEE I GUESS ;)

AGAIN MY THANKS ..........

PS: I WOULD NEED A 3RD HAND ANYWAY , TO HAVE ONE FREE lol !

We tried to do this on our cruise a week ago. We were told NO! We had to put our luggage out the night before and collect it once we were off the ship from a small holding area. We were able to get off the ship whenever we wanted, no need to wait of our "tag" time - just walk off when ever you are ready. Our luggage was waiting - no problems.

Were there any walk off's at all? Either your luggage must have been to large or you didn't tell them that you wanted to do the self disembarkation process. I've never heard of them telling people that they couldn't do it.

quote=mississauga;20618702]Have one hand free? :confused: Never heard of that or even seen it! We have been doing Self-Disembarkation for over 10 cruises and have never had a hand free or any problems. ( doing it or having someone saying we had to have one hand free )

On cruises disembarking from San Pedro and Ft. Lauderdale, I have witnessed first hand that, if you do not have one hand free, people at the escalator will not let you use the escalator and direct you to the elevators where the lines are very long.

Before Princess personnel started enforcing this rule on some of the recent cruises I've been on, I watched one person with both hands full fall on the escalator at San Pedro. They would not let him go without filing an accident report despite his insistence that he be allowed to continue. He had been in a big hurry pushing people out of the way to get to the escalator earlier and his fall could have seriously hurt him. As we watched it happen, I am not surprised that Princess insisted on having him checked out.

It seems to me that it only makes sense that you be able to handle your luggage without being a pack horse. I've watched people juggling 4 or 5 bags - I'm amazed they can walk.

Were there any walk off's at all? Either your luggage must have been to large or you didn't tell them that you wanted to do the self disembarkation process. I've never heard of them telling people that they couldn't do it.

We were just on the Coral NB Alaska and there was no self disembarkation at all. All bags had to be placed out the night before. We had no cruisetour and had independant arrangements and they still made us put it out the night before. We asked but they said there was no walk off with luggage.

We were just on the Coral NB Alaska and there was no self disembarkation at all. All bags had to be placed out the night before. We had no cruisetour and had independant arrangements and they still made us put it out the night before. We asked but they said there was no walk off with luggage.

What did they do when people showed up with a 22 inch carry on suitcase ready to get off the ship? send them back?

We always use the escalators because the wait for the elevators is long. I always have a carry-on, a larger suitcase and my hand-bag so no free hands. What are they going to do? Send me back on the ship and have them send my luggage down like they do with the luggage the night before?

You may have missed the point that the escalator rule of one hand free is a port rule and is enforced by a port person at the top of the escalator.

What are they going to do? If you do not have a free hand, they will make you move to that long line of people waiting for the single elevator.

The rule is not just for people carrying off all of their luggage. If you do not have a free hand while carrying your overnight bag and other items (computer, handbag, purchases, etc.), they will also make you go to the elevator.

Archived