Tipping on board

jay841

Does anyone know the procedure for tipping on board the ship? Is there a better way to do this or even one to avoid???? Many thanks.

We have them bill the daily pp per day directly to our shipboard account (I think it is $11.50 per person per day). Generally, if I order room service I will tip the person that brings that a couple of dollars. At the end of the cruise my husband will give the bartender or anyone who has been especially nice or has gone out of their way an additional tip.

Oceania automatically charges you for tips at the end of the cruise (I think it is $12.50 pp a day) as well as adds 18% to drinks, wine, etc. We seldom use room service unless we are ill, I can't recall if there are auto tips for that or not. Like CateW above, we take care of anyone who has been especially helpful at the end of the cruise personally with extra cash, but it has to be special, not just regular service. Aside from the cabin staff who are constant, there are too many different people to appropriately tip on our own with open dining, etc. Ships are pretty much truly "cashless" which has its pros and cons, but I really like not having to carry extra cash for tips like the "old days".

With the daily tips charged to our account we tip our butler and cabin staff additionally for excellent service as that is what we have always had on Oceania. There are always waiters and a maitre d' who go out of their way, and that we see often, whom we also tip at the end of our cruise.:)

With the daily tips charged to our account we tip our butler and cabin staff additionally for excellent service as that is what we have always had on Oceania. There are always waiters and a maitre d' who go out of their way, and that we see often, whom we also tip at the end of our cruise.:)

How about the Captain and Cruise Director? Do you hand over your money to them too if the ship has had a safe and uneventful trip and the entertainment and other actives of the Cruise Director have been above par?

Gratuities are included (cabin and wait staff) and there is a 'service charge' for every drink you order (e.g. a coke costs $2.50, but the receipt you sign says $2.95). However, we did tip our steward Bojana a little extra for her excellent service.

Since we have little or no interaction with the cruise director the answer is no, we don't tip him. As for the captain, he is well paid for his work so, no to that too.

The rest of the staff relies on their tips and a small amount more means something to them!:)

Since we have little or no interaction with the cruise director the answer is no, we don't tip him. As for the captain, he is well paid for his work so, no to that too.

The rest of the staff relies on their tips and a small amount more means something to them!:)

I was just wondering where these rates of pay for crew and officers are published? I have heard it said by others on CC that crew pay rates are low but where does this information actually come from?

I was just wondering where these rates of pay for crew and officers are published? I have heard it said by others on CC that crew pay rates are low but where does this information actually come from?

You could look for companies that hire Crew for cruises then you can get the pay schedules

My daughter just got off a cruise with her 6 month old son (also known as Mr. Sunshine!) and she said that he was a most popular fellow. So many of the waiters, stewards, etc. leave their own children at home to earn money for the family. As their hostess said -- I cry each night for my children but there are no jobs in my homeland. My DD is very careful with her money but she was very generous this time with her tips as she has a new understanding of the sacraifices that some have to make to take care of their families a long way away. Our pleasure and comfort takes lots of hard work AND they do not get a ticket to home until contract is successfully completed. This might be why they are on the job and working so well -- they can't get home if they mess up.

You could look for companies that hire Crew for cruises then you can get the pay schedules

There are some blogs that cruise members have posted. They are not allowed to discuss pay rates but sometimes if for some reason you get into a discussion on something else you get some hints. Like on a very long shore excursion I got to know an upper level staff member who said room and board (4 per room smaller than inside)but not bar bill and internet/phone. Like the old days of share croppers -- you are paid but THE MAN== gets alot of it back! They work about 11 hours a day in two shifts seven days a week. They get 4 hours of shore time approx per week. This schedule perhaps explains why you do not see many workers from USA or European/Japanese backgrounds. The effort does not pay off in the same way as "cash or $" does in 3rd world economies.

There are some blogs that cruise members have posted. They are not allowed to discuss pay rates but sometimes if for some reason you get into a discussion on something else you get some hints.

The crew do not ask us how much we make so I feel it is non of our business what they earn.:rolleyes:

It seems important to some people what the crew earn for whatever reason.

They work very hard & are always cheery...we leave the auto tip on & tip those that go the extra mile a bit more at the end of the cruise.

On B2B's we tip the extra $ on the last day of the each cruise just in case that staff member is off the ship at the end of their contract

Lyn

I made the following comment on the Celebrity column, on the topic of tipping to obtain a good poolside chair and service through a voyage. I guess the same question is valid for Oceania too. On this column, perhaps we can attract the free opinion of experienced lawyer Bruin Steve on this topic:

------------------

I don't know whether tipping should be for good service already rendered (as a reward), or should it also be a means to get preferential treatment (and if it is the latter, is this practice allowed by the cruise line or is it "under the table")? In some societies, if it is "under the table", as in "bribing" (some economy class passengers give air line hostesses $100 tip to be moved to a business class seat, for example), it could be illegal !

When you sign for a bar or a spa purchase, does the on-board receipt have a separate line for additional grats (beyond the auto 18%)? I understand that such is the case on some cruise lines.

I cannot say I ever looked

I usually give the spa girl any extra in cash

Lyn

The crew do not ask us how much we make so I feel it is non of our business what they earn.:rolleyes:

It seems important to some people what the crew earn for whatever reason.

They work very hard & are always cheery...we leave the auto tip on & tip those that go the extra mile a bit more at the end of the cruise.

On B2B's we tip the extra $ on the last day of the each cruise just in case that staff member is off the ship at the end of their contract

Lyn

I'm sorry I just said that people say they give crew extra tips because amongst other things they earn such little money. How do they know what they earn, I wonder, to back up this statement?

I also wondered if the Captain and or Cruise Director should also be tipped for a good cruise. Someone said no because they earn such good salaries. I wonder how they know what they earn to make this statement.

I'm not personally interested in what they earn just curious how others seems to know and use this as part justification for extra tips or not tipping at all in the case of the Captain/Cruise Director?

I'm sorry I just said that people say they give crew extra tips because amongst other things they earn such little money. How do they know what they earn, I wonder, to back up this statement?

You you have to ask those that say they know.

They probably look up in the "crew Job banks" to see what the crew could possibly earn.

Whether they earn what is posted all depends on the cruise line, if the ship is full, how many people remove tips, tip extra etc....

Lyn

You you have to ask those that say they know.

They probably look up in the "crew Job banks" to see what the crew could possibly earn.

Whether they earn what is posted all depends on the cruise line, if the ship is full, how many people remove tips, tip extra etc....

Lyn

A particularly nice bar tender I recently got to know quite well on a two week Royal Caribbean cruise told me he would not swap cruise lines as his plus $35,000 he earned each year (8 month contract I think) there could nor be matched on HAL or Princess. Interesting I thought!! He was always well rewarded I noticed by pax with extra tips in the form of cash. Of course the extra measure in ones glass was then usually the reward for this generosity.

I was told by our Ta that tipping is included in our cruise for 10/01/10. I think you had to book by the end of Aug. Not sure. We will tip extra if a crew member goes out of their way to do something for us, of course. Wish Oceania would include free shore excursions like Regent is offering. Their ships would all have waitlists! J & J

Wish Oceania would include free shore excursions like Regent is offering. Their ships would all have waitlists! J & J

Regent chose to throw in free shore excursions instead of lowering prices. Oceania [same ownership] chose the reverse. If you look at the Oceania website, you will see that many of the Europe 2010 cruises have waitlists in many categories.

I too would like shore excursions thrown in but I don't think it will happen. Every person (at least on Cruise Critic) has different criteria and wants for the excursions. It is VERY hard to get 4 in your travel party to agree on what, where and when to do something and at which price level. Trying to get the whole ship to agree MAMMA MIA!

It is easy to just put the tips as prepaid. It is a certain $ amount as starting base. As with anything else each person can add (or subtract though I don't know that anyone would admit it!) what they want. I have been following prices very closely this year and the prices do seem to be more negotiable than ever -- they just call the deals different things (prepaid tips, free air, 2 for 1, early booking, last minute deal). Like airplane seats it is possible that each customer got a slightly different deal and a slightly (or majorly if you want to believe it:p) deal. Bottom line is fill the seats with fannies -- some money better than none.

• 1 year later...

If the Concierge for the "cheap seats" does anything special for you, such as helping you arrange a Cruise Critic Meet & Greet, making up invites & delivering them, would you tip him/her too ?

Thinking about it later, realize I may have goofed on my last cruise:o:o:o

Betty

I have gone to the concierge (on the "R" ships) on several occasions -- although not in the past year or two -- to set up meet and greets in Horizons. He sent out invitations, etc. It never even OCCURRED to me to tip! I just thought it was a part of his job.

Now I am wondering as well ...

When someone wears a suit to work, I have always assumed he would be insulted by a tip, but ... ????

I have gone to the concierge (on the "R" ships) on several occasions -- although not in the past year or two -- to set up meet and greets in Horizons. He sent out invitations, etc. It never even OCCURRED to me to tip! I just thought it was a part of his job.

Now I am wondering as well ...

When someone wears a suit to work, I have always assumed he would be insulted by a tip, but ... ????

I never gave it a thought, but now wonder if we need something on our April cruise, & he's helpful, should we tip him...

BTW I did send a note about his service to the Hotel Mgr. & the Concierge thanked me, the next day for our kind words..But now still wonder if that was enough..:confused:

Cheers...:)Betty

Archived