Convert or Not Convert ?

diamondsparkling

When we have been on previous ships where the currency is USD we have let the company debit our card, after converting to GBP.

I have just printed off the Xpress Pass, getting really excited now, and have read the details re billing and am wondering if this is the best/cheapest way, do the UK card companies charge less for converting than the ship?

Thanks

Val

Yes.

Letting the cruise line convert is almost always the most expensive as they charge 3% whereas most UK credit cards have a lower loading of up to 2.75%. Check your card's T's and C's to see what they charge.

We have a Nationwide card that has always been the best as the loading until recently was 0%. This has now increased to 0.84% for some countries including the US (so applies to your cruise) but is still 0% in the EEC.

NEVER let any cruise line convert to your local currency

Always insist your card is charged in US Dollars

Nationwide CC is the best but pretty much all of them do not charge a 3% conversion fee and they give you commercial rates which are always better than tourist rate or cruise ship rate

I second and third what's already been said - make sure it's charged in sterling. Apart from the charge the cruiseline makes, it is the awful exchange rate they use that is the worst thing for example something like $1.55 to the pound sterling as opposed to approx $1.90 by Nationwide - this was with Celebrity.

diamondsparkling - I notice you've printed your xpress passes for your cruise end of August. We go towards end of September and although we've completed the online check-in our xpress passes are not available to print. When I asked about this I was told they wouldn't be available until 14 days before departure. Presumably you didn't have that problem.

diamondsparkling

Checked this morning (after my post) and miraculously xpress pass available to print. Whoever at Azamara told me it wouldn't be available until 14 days before sailing should brush up on the facts. That's another thing to cross off the list. Now I'll continue the battle re pre-booking for speciality restaurant. Emails haven't been much help so I'll have to resort to phoning. I was trying to avoid this as calling from the UK can be pricey especially if you're put on hold for some time.

diamondsparkling

Checked this morning (after my post) and miraculously xpress pass available to print. Whoever at Azamara told me it wouldn't be available until 14 days before sailing should brush up on the facts. That's another thing to cross off the list. Now I'll continue the battle re pre-booking for speciality restaurant. Emails haven't been much help so I'll have to resort to phoning. I was trying to avoid this as calling from the UK can be pricey especially if you're put on hold for some time.

If you are a Captains Club or RCL Club member you can pre book, if not no, not even by phoning the USA

The best number to use for the UK office for dining bookings is 01733 865437 as that is the Captains Club number

Hope this works for you

A

When we have been on previous ships where the currency is USD we have let the company debit our card, after converting to GBP.

I have just printed off the Xpress Pass, getting really excited now, and have read the details re billing and am wondering if this is the best/cheapest way, do the UK card companies charge less for converting than the ship?

Thanks

Val

Always always select the option where the Credit card company does the conversion. I always highlight this line in brightpink so they do not miss it...

diamondsparkling

To be honest I think they say 14 days as a cover, because you cannot print your setsail pass until your TA has paid RCI. And if they tell you you cannot print it, because your TA has not paid, and if you have actually paid your TA a few weeks earlier it tends to cause a few ructions between you and your TA...!

You cannot prebook speciality restaurants on Azamara. However if you are a Capt Club member you can - their number is 01733 865 437.

Archived