Pre-paid gratuities

Quinte Girl

Hello:

I have what is probably a silly question, but here goes.

We were given pre-paid grauities as an incentive to book our cruise (by Azamara I believe - but we did book through a TA).

My question is this, I assumed that this covered only our cabin - steward/butler also our dining room people. But, does it include gratuities that are applied to each bottle of wine we buy as well? Every drink? Every service?

It's our first time getting this type of perk so I'm not sure now that I start reading some of these threads.

Hope someone can enlighten me.

Thanks.

BT

Hello:

We were given pre-paid grauities as an incentive to book our cruise (by Azamara I believe - but we did book through a TA).

My question is this, I assumed that this covered only our cabin - steward/butler also our dining room people. But, does it include gratuities that are applied to each bottle of wine we buy as well? Every drink? Every service?

It's our first time getting this type of perk so I'm not sure now that I start reading some of these threads.

Thanks.

BT

It's not a silly question, and you're smart to ask.

It applies only to the daily service fees for standard dining room and cabin steward services. It does not apply to anything for which you have to sign - alcohol, sodas, specialty coffees, or specialty restaurants.

Hello:

But, does it include gratuities that are applied to each bottle of wine we buy as well? Every drink? Every service?

BT

I am guessing NO

Usually just the waitstaff & cabin stewards are covered in the deal

Lyn

I'm on Journey in October and I'm pleased to have been able to pre-pay gratuities, as it saves having to carry so much extra cash. I look forward to a time when all cruise lines simply factor it into the headline cruise price.

Hello:

Thanks.

BT

It's not a silly question, and you're smart to ask.

It applies only to the daily service fees for standard dining room and cabin steward services. It does not apply to anything for which you have to sign - alcohol, sodas, specialty coffees, or specialty restaurants.

This is true but remember that all bar items automatically add 15% gratuity to the charge, so no need to add an additional tip unless you really want to. AZ's specialty restaurants have a suggested gratuity of US$5pp [over and above the aforementioned daily service fees]; at the end of the meal you will get a "bill" which will repeat the $5 suggestion, but leaves the the amount open for you to fill in. I was happy to comply.

BTW AZ automatically adds your basic tips to your bill [in your case to be off-set by your pre-paid gratuity]. AZ gave us the best service we have ever had, which rather contradicts all the whining on the Celebrity boards that service is sure to slip because Celebrity has recently gone to automatically billed tips.

I'm on Journey in October and I'm pleased to have been able to pre-pay gratuities, as it saves having to carry so much extra cash. I look forward to a time when all cruise lines simply factor it into the headline cruise price.

Hello BossCat - good to see you over here at last!!! (from That Other 'how much is a pint of beer' Site) Here in the UK you must prepay the grats,they cannot be taken off the price, so it is always included. We are getting there!

BTW, it is 18% gratuity on all drinks on Azamara not 15%

Archived